Question about MDF (Made cut, did not finish)

Grogger31

Swing hard, just in case
Reaction score
Handicap
Hey everyone,

Amazingly, it's been a couple years since I've chimed in here. No good excuse, so I won't try. But I had a quick question ...

I've been watching the early season tournament and noticed that almost every one has included numerous players getting the MDF designation. I understand how it works and the rationale behind it, although I think it's pretty ridiculous. It also seems it is happening more this year than in the past, although I can't be sure about that.

My question is this ... Would they ever use the MDF classification in a Major? My understanding is that it only takes place in tournaments with a really large field, and I have to assume that does not include the Majors.

Thanks guys!

Welcome back, Grogger!

I doubt they would use it in a major. They might have a player revolt on their habds!

Thanks Smalls. I'm surprised players haven't revolted anyway. I know John Daly made a big deal about it initially, but I haven't heard much about it since.

I thought MDF stood for Made Cut, Did Not Finish. :bulgy-eyes:

And I don't think the players can be all the frustrated by it, if you're in that group that won't be able to finish, but play well on day 3, it's like a second chance.

I don't think it's ridiculous. It's just a way to cut it to 70 guys for the final day. If the cut line makes them take 80 players, then they are just trying to make the cut "real" I guess and actually down to 70 players. That's my best guess at it anyways.

If they would speed these guys up, they would have time for everyone to play. Get rid of those 5+ hour rounds and the problem is solved. They say they are trying to manage the size of the field? They should manage the pace of play better.

If they would speed these guys up, they would have time for everyone to play. Get rid of those 5+ hour rounds and the problem is solved. They say they are trying to manage the size of the field? They should manage the pace of play better.

So true...

Back