Abu Dhabi HSBC Golf Championship Thread (Spoilers)

LOL, precisely! Phil's game this week in America would have easily won Abu Dhabi.

That's because this tourney had all B-List talent. Nowhere near the PGA. Duh.

Just woke up and saw the final scores and have been catching up on the recent posts in this thread...Ary I think you're spot on. Tiger is trending upward and while I don't think he will ever be as dominant as he was before, but I think he will be winning a few this year. I am excited to see someone who used to be a club pro win as well, what a feeling that must be for him. That is a great accomplishment, and he will be fun to follow to see how it turns out for him the rest of the year. This is going to be another exciting year of golf, and I can't wait to watch!

Rock took a lot of stick over the last few years because his caddie did his putt reading for him. Now that's stopped, his game has really come on, and I think he could be one to watch over the coming season. As long as this win doesn't go to his head. Lovely swing though, timeless...

Are you Tapatalking to me?

Great win for Rock. Must say, he didn't play spectacular, but he played a simple game, hit fairways and made putts when he needed to. That ended up being the difference.

Tiger's putting is in great shape, but you're not going to win often if you don't hit fairways. He needs to get his driver figured out big time.

Great win for Rock against a top field. He did what he needed to do to walk off 18 with a victory.

Rory and Tiger played OK...but never could get any momentum going. They will have better days.

I have been away from the intrawebs for so long that I forgot how to read discussion board sarcasm... oops

LOL, precisely! Phil's game this week in America would have easily won Abu Dhabi.

Just to be clear: my comment about Phil and A list was completely said in jest.

I was pretty sure Rock would win this as long as Rory didn't get too hot. No one wants to battle Rory McElroy down to the wire on Sunday. It was doubtful the other guys close to the lead would faze Robert or his hair. Not enough firepower.

I think it's awesome when the journeymen do well, and become more than journeymen. Good for Robert Rock. I hope he gets into The Masters.

Kevin

Tiger still struggling to hit fairways....he is getting there...but the old Tiger would have sniffed the lead pack on a Sunday and hunted them down.

Robert Rock looks very solid.....I just want to know how he keeps his hair that purdy while he is playing golf!

Tiger talking after his round about distance control being a bit long with the iron's and three wood, "I hit a couple 3w's 320 yards today", lol, wow.. just wow. Putter sucked the first day, but driver and 3w was fun to watch, then it all turned around and he couldn't find the fw. Rory was fun to watch and might have won without the penalty. Robert Rock got it done, his hair is funny.

So is it Tiger's putting or his ball striking that's holding him back? Seems to be varying opinions.

Kevin

Depending on which day it is.

Kevin

So is it Tiger's putting or his ball striking that's holding him back? Seems to be varying opinions.

Kevin

Depending on which day it is.

Kevin

I think youve answered your own question. He cant seem to complete his game. I think he'll get it, and soon, but its not where it needs to be, thats for dang sure.

I have to say distance control. He's made some solid putts but if you're missing big, it's hard to even give yourself a chance.

Well I made it to the 15th hole before I fell asleep. Wasn't looking good for Tiger and woke up to found out he lost by 2. I think he had a great week. He didn't win, but he made steps in the right direction. Rock was awesome, full credit to him!

Well I made it to the 15th hole before I fell asleep. Wasn't looking good for Tiger and woke up to found out he lost by 2. I think he had a great week. He didn't win, but he made steps in the right direction. Rock was awesome, full credit to him!

I HATE his hair! Wish he would wear a hat or something! Every 3 minutes he is fixing his hair!

I HATE his hair! Wish he would wear a hat or something! Every 3 minutes he is fixing his hair!

I bet a few of our forum members wish they had his hair :D!

I bet a few of our forum members wish they had his hair :D!

Lol, yep those North Dakota winters might be more comfortable for some.

Lol, yep those North Dakota winters might be more comfortable for some.

haha Due knows what I am talking about :alien:. Maybe even another state or two could also use some more fur on the old nogging :bulgy-eyes:

Kevin

Ball-striking is what kept him from winning today. He hit 2/14 fairways, and on the 2 holes where he actually hit the fairway, he missed the green on the approach shots. You can't win doing that. Even in the first round where it seemed like he couldn't make any putts at all, he still shot under par. Today, he shot even par. It shows that he still can't 100% trust his swing under a lot of pressure.

I had to pop out so I recorded the last few holes and it was a nightmare to stay away from the news but I was so happy for Robert Rock he's a solid golfer and just seems like an all round decent guy! Well done RR!!!!!

Glad to see Rock win, he had a solid performance. Rory, I wonder where he would have been had he not given away 6 shots on Fri, including a 2 stroke penalty for clearing sand.

Ball-striking is what kept him from winning today. He hit 2/14 fairways, and on the 2 holes where he actually hit the fairway, he missed the green on the approach shots. You can't win doing that. Even in the first round where it seemed like he couldn't make any putts at all, he still shot under par. Today, he shot even par. It shows that he still can't 100% trust his swing under a lot of pressure.

Was more of a rhetorical question, I guess. Tiger supporters got so excited in the first two rounds about his ball striking. "All he needs to do is make a few putts and he'll win multiple times and a major or two." And other comments along those lines. Then he makes a few putts in the third round and ties for the lead and everyone says he'll run away with it, that Mr. Nobody Robert Rock is toast. No way can he stand up to playing with Tiger.

Fourth round he can barely hit the ball and Rock wins.

Clunk. Guess he's not back. At least he got a $3M appearance fee, and he did win that exhibition a couple months ago.

Kevin

What was cool to see was the course it self. It was changed and set up a lot stronger. Greens looked true but grainy. Slow for most of the players. Amazing all that green with recycled water.

Yeah, cause T3 is such a bad start to the season really. :bulgy-eyes:
It's funny to see the Eldrick fans defending their boy's third place finish like he won The Masters. This is what it's come to.

I know he's going to win again, and I'm sure he'll win another major or two. But I absolutely love when he blows yet another lead. And then the lovers come back with "hey, Top 3 isn't that bad."

Back