My club was sold, and looks to open in spring!!

redsoxfan

Reaction score
Handicap
Last year, october, my club was shut down for financial reasons.
It then re-opened for two weeks after a one week shutdown.

At the end of the two weeks, it shut down for good, was foreclosed on, and the auction was set for January 10th, 2012

all the rumours in town were about how developers were going to buy it for housing developments.

I was quite concerned, as I live on the eighth hole, and did not want a development in my backyard

luckily, an investor who runs a driving range/pitch & putt, batting cage establishment wanted to get into "Big Boy Golf" and purchased for his family to operate.

Now I cannot wait until spring. Club will be private (Vs. semi-private last year) which I am enthused about.

He is giving interviews to local newspapers indicating his desire to return it to the top notch course it was in the past.

April 15th can't come fast enough!!

:beauty::clapp::banana:

Good news for you and I hope he can make a go of it for all involved.

good news for sure

How many golf balls end up in your backyard? :D

i really hope the guy does well out it as it's a gutsy decision buying a course! enjoying playing on it and long may it continue

That's awesome! Good thing the course didn't go to waste.

That is fantastic news for you. Going from looking at construction work for the indefinite future to having an even better golf club experience in your backyard, you must be living right.

That's great news dude!

As I had golfed at Hampden CC a few times, I was sad to hear about all this. The views from the clubhouse down over the lower part of the golf course are lovely and I always enjoyed the rounds I played there.

Glad to hear it will open again.

Good news indeed and nice to live that close to a course!

I hope the course re-opens and does well. My only question might be the need or the desire to be private if they are struggling. One of the best private courses in my area (Orchard Ridge CC) in Ft. Wayne was/is private. They more less hit rock bottom a couple of years ago. The members ended up buying it and kept it private and now the word is they are in trouble again. To me it just makes more sense to maybe go semi-private and allow some none members to play on certain days. Seems silly to struggle and have people that want to play the course, which was the story here. Plenty of people would pay a good fee just to play there, yet they didn't want the outsiders.

That is absolutely great news for you - congratulations!!

The last management group had a semi-private strategy, but they lost too many members because of the question of "what are you paying for as a member ?"
most thursday/friday and saturday/sunday playing was limited by the excessive tournaments being held there, and when there were times to play, the non-members had tee times.

If they are to succeed around here, it has to be private, or the public and tournament availability has to be severly limited.

After our experience with the last management, very few members would re-join as semi-private again, having been burned once.

Great news, I hate to heard of any course closing so it is a joy to hear of one reopening. Good luck and enjoy your "new" club.

Back