Best Style of Glasses for Golfing

IceyShanks

NiceyThanks
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
I wear my glasses all the time and that includes golfing, I have transition lenses in them and I like not having to change from glasses to sunglasses. My problem is sometimes the style I like doesn't seem sporty or durable enough to wear golfing. Has any found a style or material of glasses has worked better to wear while golfing more than another?

I switched to contacts BECAUSE I couldn't find anything that did work. I know Oakley you can get some custom stuff done using your perscription. It was more money than I wanted to spend though. Seems weird to say considering how much I spent on clubs, etc.! lol Wearing contacts has worked out much better any way. My depth perception has much improved on the course, and in general day to day life. Things look much smaller wearing glasses.

There is a pretty good thread going on about this very subject. Some pretty good recommendations and styles.

http://www.thehackersparadise.com/f...-Anybody-wear-sunglasses&highlight=sunglasses

He mean prescription glasses.

The pro at the course I worked at used these:

http://ca.oakley.com/products/6385/23784

T
hey have titanium to make them insanely light. They even have the rubber ear buds to help keep them in place. As usual with Oakley, they always back up with products as far as durability. They also have a few other styles that they look casual, but have small add on's and other things to help make them easier to use during sports.

Also, here is the page for their "active" line:

http://ca.oakley.com/store/products/men/prescription-eyewear/active

I have Oakley radars that I love, but nor prescription. I know oakleys can be purchased with prescription lenses. The g30 lens I think is made for golf.

I have worn glasses for about 40 years and always just wear what I wear all the time to practice in and play in - it is what I am most comfortable in. Mostly they are wire rim metal frames with polycarbonate lenses, just plain lenses no transition.

He mean prescription glasses.

The pro at the course I worked at used these:

http://ca.oakley.com/products/6385/23784

T
hey have titanium to make them insanely light. They even have the rubber ear buds to help keep them in place. As usual with Oakley, they always back up with products as far as durability. They also have a few other styles that they look casual, but have small add on's and other things to help make them easier to use during sports.

Also, here is the page for their "active" line:

http://ca.oakley.com/store/products/men/prescription-eyewear/active

My bad! Misread that. Carry on!

Have you checked with a local optometrist, not one of the chains. They usually have a selection to choose from and can offer a lot of options on lens. I was in the other day looking at what was available and there was a large section of the display full of sunglasses. There was one brand that was golf specific but I'm sorry I can't remember the name.

I was just at the local optometrist today, that's what sparked my question, I was looking at a bunch of different styles and materials and got to thinking if I should be looking at a more athletic style of glasses, like Nike had a few, or just go with what I normally like and hope it performs while playing golf. I currently have some that are hard plastic and they look and feel fine, they just slip a bit from time to time. Actually the lady who helped me today did help find quite a few options that I think might work, I got to take them home for a test drive. But I may look at a few off Nike's website and have them ordered in to take a look.

I was just at the local optometrist today, that's what sparked my question, I was looking at a bunch of different styles and materials and got to thinking if I should be looking at a more athletic style of glasses, like Nike had a few, or just go with what I normally like and hope it performs while playing golf. I currently have some that are hard plastic and they look and feel fine, they just slip a bit from time to time. Actually the lady who helped me today did help find quite a few options that I think might work, I got to take them home for a test drive. But I may look at a few off Nike's website and have them ordered in to take a look.

The good thing about most sport glasses is that they have no frame at the bottom so there are no blind spots.

The good thing about most sport glasses is that they have no frame at the bottom so there are no blind spots.
Those were some of my thoughts exactly!

Well after browsing Nike's website I've come to a few finalists: Thoughts or comments welcome!

3rd ones down look so clean.

They all look good. I only need reading glasses but any of those would do the trick. Nice choices. I may look into those also.

I've wore glasses since i was in 3rd grade and i have had Nike frames for about the last 4 and half years. They are best frames i have ever had. My everyday glasses are very similar to the third pair down and they are great. My sunglasses are a little older pair with a full frame around the lens but the tint on them is about perfect for wearing to play golf in. I'm personaly not a fan of transitions lenses, i would rather deal with changing frames. But the Nike frames are great, and thise are all very solid choices. If you do want to go the Oakley route, Lenscrafters can get in your specs..

The last pair I had before my current ones were similar to the Nike ones you're showing above that do not have a frame around the bottom of the lens. They were fine, but my current pair are rimless which are better still. I think there are some limitations based on prescription strength, but you can even get rimless ones at Wal-Mart Vision Centers, which have been decently cheaper that the local optomistrist.

My only complaint with either is that I find I have to look under the lenses to keep my head from slumping during a swing...but hey, the lens is a built-in swing aid. Actually, I normally wear some prescription sunglesses that provide a bit more wrapping when I play golf though.

After struggling with wearing progressive lenses for golf, last year I decided to try the definity fairway lenses with Sol-fx transition lenses. What a difference. I no longer have the problem where it appears the ball is moving during my swing unless of course it's due to too many wobbly pops. I think anyone who needs progressives would benefit from these lenses. I believe some other manufacturers are also marketing golf specific progressive lenses.
I haven't bought sports frames yet but I've tried some and I really like the Oakleys but a family member sells the Adidas line and they also make a great product. He seems to think that the bottom part should be rimless for golf but I personally don't have a preference

Thanks for all the info, I've tried on a ton of different frames in the last few days, I get to just take them home and try them out, I think I've landed with these:
img_art_NIKE_8200_080_B.jpg

Great thread guys. I am heading into the eye doctor soon and I think I have a good idea of what I want now.

Back