coolbreeze

Aspiring Golferr
Reaction score
Handicap
RCGA 8.9
I just noticed that there is a difference between the ESC is used between the RCGA and the USGA.

USGA

f10d4ff4-50d3-4c21-9805-dc905269c1de.gif

RCGA

0 or plus 1 over par
1 through 18 2 over par
19 through 32 3 over par
33 and over 4 over par

Any other differences that you know of?

Good find cb, someone (I think RXGus) was saying there is a difference just the other day, it was good to see what that difference is.

Good find cb, someone (I think RXGus) was saying there is a difference just the other day, it was good to see what that difference is.

Thanks, I just thought it was interesting because if you and I are both playing par 3's, the most I can take is a 5, but you can take a 7, that could greatly affect someones HC. I think our system is a little more "equitable" if you ask me.

I agree your system is more equitible, I could have 2 "blow up" holes and the cap would be higher even though all things considered with your system we should be equal. Could make for some interesting matches.

All the other HC calculations are the same as are course slope and rating, it seems to be that only the ESC is different.

USA and Canada use the same system, with different ESC rules (as OP pointed out).

USA/Canada have a different set of rules than UK/Ireland

The UK/Ireland score is called "Competition Scratch Score" (CSS, or some other such non-sense). The organizing body is called CONGU though for the life of me I don't know what that stands for. I don't know much about these systems but I do know they are different than the USGA/RCGA

I just noticed that there is a difference between the ESC is used between the RCGA and the USGA.

USGA

f10d4ff4-50d3-4c21-9805-dc905269c1de.gif

RCGA

0 or plus 1 over par
1 through 18 2 over par
19 through 32 3 over par
33 and over 4 over par

Any other differences that you know of?

The Canadian method is how the USGA did it 20 years ago, before they revised their system to make it work better. Going to a set number rather than so many strokes over par was found to make it more fair throughout the range.

The Canadian method is how the USGA did it 20 years ago, before they revised their system to make it work better. Going to a set number rather than so many strokes over par was found to make it more fair throughout the range.

Perhaps but since the idea is to be "equitable" as to you true skills as a golfer, if you are say a 10-15 HC and you post a 7 on a par 3 thats not really a reflection of you as a golfer, you just had a really bad hole and you have to post a QUAD, seems a little tough.

For the past two seasons, I have posted my "active season" scores on two different websites: the RCGA site to track my "Canadian" handicap and a US-based site to track my "USGA" handicap. To my surprise, my respective indices are within 1 of each other. Over time, the differences between the two systems seem to negate each other. The occasional bad score on a par 3 (maximum 5 for RCGA versus maximum 7 for USGA) doesn't make much of a difference.

There is another difference between the two. RCGA handicaps are updated each time a new score is posted. For instance, my RCGA index went up by 1 yesterday. The GHIN system used by the USGA updates handicaps as shown on the attached link: http://www.usga.org/handicapping/education/revision_schedule/Handicap-Revision-Schedule/. I am playing tomorrow in a regular Tuesday league. My RCGA index is now 1 higher, my GHIN index will not change until April 30.

Thanks Dave, good info, I just assumed that the GHIN index updated with each round as ours does! BTW are you playing in the concur cancer classic a week from today? I am and hope to see you there.

Perhaps but since the idea is to be "equitable" as to you true skills as a golfer, if you are say a 10-15 HC and you post a 7 on a par 3 thats not really a reflection of you as a golfer, you just had a really bad hole and you have to post a QUAD, seems a little tough.

The thing is, most rounds with a 7 on a par 3 aren't normally going to end up as one of the best 10 anyway, so it becomes a moot point. If you are playing that poorly on a given day, the GHIN system will never use the round in the handicap calculation.

The thing is, most rounds with a 7 on a par 3 aren't normally going to end up as one of the best 10 anyway, so it becomes a moot point. If you are playing that poorly on a given day, the GHIN system will never use the round in the handicap calculation.

Very true, the calculations are still the same, and like Dave said above, it probably all comes out in the wash in the end, within a stroke or two.

USA and Canada use the same system, with different ESC rules (as OP pointed out).

USA/Canada have a different set of rules than UK/Ireland

The UK/Ireland score is called "Competition Scratch Score" (CSS, or some other such non-sense). The organizing body is called CONGU though for the life of me I don't know what that stands for. I don't know much about these systems but I do know they are different than the USGA/RCGA

CONGU = The Council of National Golf Unions

Was looking at RCGA rule changes for 2012 and found this:

The Handicap & Course Rating Committee recently approved a change to the long-standing Equitable Stroke Control (ESC) method, bringing it into equivalency with current ESC calculations employed by the United States Golf Association (USGA). The new ESC method will go into effect March 1, 2012 to coincide with the release of the 2012-2015 version of the Handicap Manual.
[h=3]WHAT IS EQUITABLE STROKE CONTROL (ESC)?[/h]Equitable Stroke Control (ESC) is the downward adjustment of individual hole scores for handicap purposes in order to make Handicap Factors more representative of a player's potential scoring ability. It sets a maximum number that a player can post on any hole depending on the player's Course Handicap.
[h=3]HOW IT WORKS:[/h]The modification to the current ESC calculation is illustrated below:
ESC_2_7503org.jpg
[h=3]WHY THE CHANGE TO ESC METHODOLOGY?[/h]The RCGA Handicap & Course Rating Committee approved the change after commissioning statistical research that revealed the current Equitable Stroke Control (ESC) method causes differences in Handicap Factors that are not necessarily commensurate with a difference in ability, particularly for golfers in the higher half of each range of handicaps within the ESC table.
A golfer with a 1 handicap, for example, should not be subject to the same ESC score adjustments as a player with an 18 handicap when their abilities are so different. By reducing the size of the handicap ranges within the ESC table, those issues are mitigated. The new ESC method provides a more even distribution across a wide range of handicaps.
[h=3]IMPACT OF THE NEW ESC METHODOLOGY:[/h]Using maximum numbers (rather than adjustments being based on hole-par) facilitates simpler application and comprehension of the ESC procedure. It also mitigates the effect of courses not allocating the proper par to holes as per RCGA guidelines.
Currently, in a head-to-head match, the lower handicap player has a better than 50% chance of winning. The new ESC will bring the odds closer to 50%.
The new ESC brings an RCGA Handicap Factor and USGA Handicap Index into virtual equivalency – an important consideration with the number of ‘snowbirds’ playing golf in certain parts of the United States during the winter months.
Canada will continue to use ‘Handicap Factor’ as the proper terminology related to handicapping.

My apologies if this has been posted before.

Was looking at RCGA rule changes for 2012 and found this:

The Handicap & Course Rating Committee recently approved a change to the long-standing Equitable Stroke Control (ESC) method, bringing it into equivalency with current ESC calculations employed by the United States Golf Association (USGA). The new ESC method will go into effect March 1, 2012 to coincide with the release of the 2012-2015 version of the Handicap Manual.
WHAT IS EQUITABLE STROKE CONTROL (ESC)?

Equitable Stroke Control (ESC) is the downward adjustment of individual hole scores for handicap purposes in order to make Handicap Factors more representative of a player's potential scoring ability. It sets a maximum number that a player can post on any hole depending on the player's Course Handicap.
HOW IT WORKS:

The modification to the current ESC calculation is illustrated below:
ESC_2_7503org.jpg
WHY THE CHANGE TO ESC METHODOLOGY?

The RCGA Handicap & Course Rating Committee approved the change after commissioning statistical research that revealed the current Equitable Stroke Control (ESC) method causes differences in Handicap Factors that are not necessarily commensurate with a difference in ability, particularly for golfers in the higher half of each range of handicaps within the ESC table.
A golfer with a 1 handicap, for example, should not be subject to the same ESC score adjustments as a player with an 18 handicap when their abilities are so different. By reducing the size of the handicap ranges within the ESC table, those issues are mitigated. The new ESC method provides a more even distribution across a wide range of handicaps.
IMPACT OF THE NEW ESC METHODOLOGY:

Using maximum numbers (rather than adjustments being based on hole-par) facilitates simpler application and comprehension of the ESC procedure. It also mitigates the effect of courses not allocating the proper par to holes as per RCGA guidelines.
Currently, in a head-to-head match, the lower handicap player has a better than 50% chance of winning. The new ESC will bring the odds closer to 50%.
The new ESC brings an RCGA Handicap Factor and USGA Handicap Index into virtual equivalency – an important consideration with the number of ‘snowbirds’ playing golf in certain parts of the United States during the winter months.
Canada will continue to use ‘Handicap Factor’ as the proper terminology related to handicapping.

My apologies if this has been posted before.

Good to know America's Hat is falling into line. Actually it's kind of funny that Canada has a golf association.

Kevin

Back