TaylorMade RBZ Irons Review - Forum Testing

There is some awesome testing going on in here. Way to get it started with the RBZ!

I did not see anything specific on TaylorMade's web site, but does anyone know what custom options are available for these clubs? I personally prefer higher lofts on my clubs (i.e. 42* 9-iron, 38* 8-iron). I know the custom fitting sessions will tune length, lie-angle, grip size, etc., but I'm curious to know if the lofts can be tuned to an individual's preference.

Thanks to all the reports so far. Great information!

I'll be taking these out tomorrow afternoon for a full 18 holes with the fiancee shooting video, so I should have a lot of info for you guys tomorrow along with videos of height, sound, etc. It's a short executive course, so I'll be bringing just the RBZ irons, my wedges, putter, and then my current 21 degree fairway wood. The RBZ iron is about a quarter inch or so shorter than the fairway wood, and I know the max I can get out of it right now is 210. It's been in my bag since 2005, so I thought it'd be a nice little comparison.

People that are interested you can follow me on twitter at nathanwebb1. I will have updates throughout my round tomorrow.

Just got caught up on this thread. You testers are doing an unbelievable job thus far. Some fantastic writeups with wonderful information. Add in the pics and vids you guys have put up, and this thread is a winner early! Great job guys, and keep it up!

Range Session #2

Range Session #2

Range session#2
Finley Golf Course - Chapel Hill
Off the grass
60*, slight breeze in

I have to say that I'm finally figuring some things out with my swing. The lessons that I've been taking are amazing and I am starting to easily get in that groove where every motion is syncing together and delivering the club head powerfully into the ball. When this happens the results are stunning to me.

Yesterday I hit off the mats. Not a big fan, just like everyone else, so today I went over to the range to hit off the grass. I bought a large bucket. I once again went through most of the set, starting with AW and went through the 5 iron today. Being a high capper I still have some bad swings and awful shots. These are not the near misses. They don't make a club that fixes this so we will throw these out and assume they count for about 10-14 balls through the set. The shots that the club face make it cleanly to the ball with these clubs continue to amaze me. Hate to say it but they do rocket off the face. Even the thin ones get off the ground with good distance. I am still seeing a push, no slice whatsoever, and a 10-15 yard hook on mishits. The pured one's feel great off the club face and fly 10-15 yards further than with my previous irons. These shots are launched high into the air with great carry. I really think I'll be close to a 150 yard 8 iron. The 7 iron cleared the 150 flag with ease and 6 iron and 5 iron distance gains were generous as well. For me to be at a 7-8 iron at a 150 yards is a dream. This should work wonders in helping me come down to lower 90s, and who knows.

IMO they set up well. I had no problems with turf interaction, they sailed through the short grass, and am hoping that the soles plow through the rough. Again I am assuming the sound is fine because I just don't notice it. I have no problems with the grips. Nothing about the club itself is distracting. I am still finding confidence with each club.

Negatives continue to be the overall looks. They are not a sleek players iron. The performance of them is making this very easy to tolerate. The long irons are long, but I'm adjusting.

Last edited:
These are solid irons. In my opinion they are the best in the GI class this year, over the RXF. They feel superb off the face and still smooth on a mishit. I hit them with KBS Tour steel and VS Proto graphite shafts, definitely more accurate with the steel and a better feel with the graphite. Distances were long. I had a 195 yard bomb with graphite 7-iron on the sim and 185 with the steel, consistently seeing 170 with the 7 steel outside.

I went and got fit today, and the fitter who I went to hit these. He said he was absolutely impressed with them. When hit correctly, they really do sound like a rocket coming off the face. My back is killing me right now so I'm gonna go recline for a little bit, but ill get some stuff up soon.

I went and got fit today, and the fitter who I went to hit these. He said he was absolutely impressed with them. When hit correctly, they really do sound like a rocket coming off the face. My back is killing me right now so I'm gonna go recline for a little bit, but ill get some stuff up soon.

What are your fitting specs?

Myself, Toad, Chewie, & his friend met up for a round of golf today in Fayetteville, Ga. at White Lakes CC. I hit the 4i really good on two of the longer par three holes which were in the 180 range. Both shots flew over the green. One stayed on the back fringe and the other dropped about 20 yds to the rear of the green. Big high draws that felt good and looked good. That is the good stuff for today. My shots with the longer clubs off the deck were not up to par today. My ball flight was low with pull hooks. It may have been that I was trying too hard to smash them out there. Overall my play with the irons today was hit and miss. My hands were still a bit sore from yesterday and my grip on the clubs felt ill fitted. I must change to a mid size tour velvet asap. Chewie and T0AD hit a few shots with these irons and both had to choke down up to an inch for solid contact. The 4 & 5 irons will not win a beauty contest however when struck well they perform.

The golf course we played today dictated laying up to a position instead of going for the green. This is where I had a chance to see how the mid irons performed. They were solid, performed well and produced a higher ball flight than the longer irons. I hit a beautiful 8 iron shot today that hit and stopped very quickly. There is no doubt about these irons putting good spin on the ball.

The lower irons (9, PW & AW) gave me some problems today. I came up short more often than not. Maybe it was the fact I was playing a course that I am not familiar with. I need some time on the range to work on the scoring clubs and get my distances dialed in. It's all about becoming acquainted with the new clubs and developing that trust and positive flow.

got to hit the 5,6 and 9 today, I really liked the feel of these, and I am jealous of all the testers... would love to spend some time with these irons.

Keep up the great work guys.

I only use a 5 - PW, i just can't get to grips with the 4 iron, do you feel its easy enough to hit the 4?

I do. It's almost an inch over standard, but just backing up a tad I have no problems making great contact with it. It seems super easy to hit to me, and I've been hitting only 5-PW the last few years, with a hybrid as a 4. I like it a lot.

He said the standard specs were fine for me. Grip, swing weight and everything also seemed fine.

Are you having any issues with the grips rubbing your hands sore? I'm thinking my hands are moving/twisting a bit, as I need a larger size to fit my hands better.

Are you having any issues with the grips rubbing your hands sore? I'm thinking my hands are moving/twisting a bit, as I need a larger size to fit my hands better.

Yes, the grips are messing with my hands. I think the size is probably fine, but I may have to switch to a softer grip.

So far so good OG. I have noticed any major problems with the grips.

Not a tester but I hit these at an outdoor demo today. Hit 4 or 5 balls with each iron. I hit the steel shafts. Ball launches well off of good lies. But I had real problems with them from tight lies, probably the bounce/grind. Worked ok out of thicker lies. Distance was ok but nothing special. Did not like the shafts. Misses were all to the right. Wasn't a swing problem as I hit several different irons today and these were the only ones that gave me the rights.

Biggest negative for me was the looks, did not like it at all. I would not consider these. I hit the R11's and liked them a lot better.

Not a tester but I hit these at an outdoor demo today. Hit 4 or 5 balls with each iron. I hit the steel shafts. Ball launches well off of good lies. But I had real problems with them from tight lies, probably the bounce/grind. Worked ok out of thicker lies. Distance was ok but nothing special. Did not like the shafts. Misses were all to the right. Wasn't a swing problem as I hit several different irons today and these were the only ones that gave me the rights.

Biggest negative for me was the looks, did not like it at all. I would not consider these. I hit the R11's and liked them a lot better.

If you're used to hitting a heavier shaft I'd imagine these would give you problems at only 80 or so grams.

Myself, Toad, Chewie, & his friend met up for a round of golf today in Fayetteville, Ga. at White Lakes CC. ........

Chewie and T0AD hit a few shots with these irons and both had to choke down up to an inch for solid contact. The 4 & 5 irons will not win a beauty contest however when struck well they perform.

Yes, the grips are messing with my hands. I think the size is probably fine, but I may have to switch to a softer grip.
As OG is always misnaming courses, I'd like you all to know it was Whitewater Creek CC.

Also, if the 4 and 5 were any uglier, I'd have to close my eyes to swing them.

It took me many swings to find the right choke-down point on the grips to be able to hit them. I never thought about backing up an inch, though.

And the grip is borderline awful, IMO. But I have Dri-Tacs on my irons, so, big difference.

You guys are absolutely killing it so far! Ole Gray I love your comments about the 4 and 5 i not winning any beauty contests, I think you're right but man the sound of those things in your video the other day is just amazing.

Keep up the great work guys! Nate I am following you on twitter for some updates tomorrow, hit em well buddy!

OG if they are the tour velvet grips when i got my R11s they were a little slick i thought at first, but i wiped them down good with a wet rag and didn't have any problems after that. i dunno it that will help or not but it helped with mine.

The Winn HERO grips will solve any problem like that... oh so soft :)

some tour velvets will sort that out or i run some sandpaper down the grip and that makes them feel a bit better

From what it looks like, Ole Gray has the prettiest draw.

Back