TaylorMade Releases R11S Driver Preview

Thanks for the responses. That's definitely low spin. I'm pondering an R11s with a Miyazaki White.

John Deere Tap'n...

I was able to hit the R11S on the Sim today, I only got launch, carry and total. I hit it at Dicks, and the lady behind the counter wouldn't let me adjust it at all. It was set at the lowest setting, isn't it adjustible by 1.5 degrees now? So was it set up at 7.5 or 8*. Either way I have my R11 set at 9.5 so it was way to low for me, but o well. I was carrying between 265 and 285. They were having a little long drive contest this weekend, whoever can hit the R11S or RBZ the farthest wins one of the two. I am leading as of now, but I was under 300 so I highly doubt my distance will stand up. I'm going to try to head back out there tomorrow, I have to go to the mall anyway. I'm going to take my golf shoes as I was hitting in tennis shoes and couldn't transition as quickly as I wanted without my backfoot slidding out Greg Norman style. I asked if I could throw my shaft in there but she said no, I know I could poke it out there past 310 on that sim, as it usually reads a little hot.

My thoughts. The driver felt great, every ball felt well struck and left me wanting to hit another. I honestly don't recall the sound, but it wasn't too bad if it didn't leave an impression. The Shaft wasn't quite holding up when I was really getting after it trying to top 300, but on a normal swing it felt pretty good. The Phenom is a HUGE improvement over the Blur. I couldn't get numbers unfortunately, the sim was showing a 14 degree launch but I don't believe that for a second, I don't launch anything that high, especially not with 8 degrees or less of loft.

I am looking forward to hitting it on a LM back to back with my R11, and with my Fubuki in it. If I can pick up an average of 10 yrds more I'll make the change, otherwise I'll wait a while watching for a deal. I doubt I can pick up much on my longest, but I am hoping my miss hits will gain quite a few yards.

Good stuff here. Thanks for posting. I'm heading to the store this weekend to check this one, the RBZ, and the F12.

I just noticed on my R11s that the center grooves on the face are not painted white like they are in the pics on taylormades website and like I just saw on the commercial. Not sure why but I kinda like it with out the white grooves.

R11S didn't disappoint today. Hit 9/14 fairways. Flew a dogleg on one, had 2 hit the FW and roll off, and two I just pushed into the next county (or fairway, whichever).

Distance isn't a problem with this one as I was a club and sometimes two ahead of where I usually am on this course. I can get myself in trouble with this club too.

Lasered the group in front of us at 275 out on 14. There was a pretty stout breeze in our face and I'm thinking even if I stripe this one it's only gonna carry and roll 240 max. I beasted one down the pipe that stayed low under the wind a bit and gradually started gaining height. I don't know if it was just because of what I realized was about to happen, but it seemed like that ball was never going to come down. It was like it was flying in slow motion. Finally the ball plopped down probably about 10 yards behind the guys in front of us and proceeded to take a bounce and smack right into the bag in the back of their cart. I...felt...horrible, and a great drive was ruined by how $h!tty I felt hitting into those people. sorry guys!!! Truly am.

Anyway, I'm definitely impressed by the new offering from TMAG. Much more than last year's iteration. It's definately a bomber and straight to boot. The Phenom shaft seems to fit me quite well. I'm gonna try out some others. That's just what I do. But seeing as how I've picked up a solid club to club and a half of distance with this one I can't see myself squeezing out too much more distance wise.

Side Note: does anybody know what the launch characteristics of the Phenom shaft are supposed to be? It says low/mid online, but I'm definately getting HIGH. Not an arching or ballooning high. It just gets up quick, keeps getting up, and comes down on a shallow decent angle as well. I like it, but it just seems to not fit the bill of what Aldila claimed for this type of shaft.

Siri does my posting for me using Tapatalk.

Really looking forward to trying this at my fitting next Saturday. Hopefully the fitter has a lot of different shaft options.

R11S didn't disappoint today. Hit 9/14 fairways. Flew a dogleg on one, had 2 hit the FW and roll off, and two I just pushed into the next county (or fairway, whichever).

Distance isn't a problem with this one as I was a club and sometimes two ahead of where I usually am on this course. I can get myself in trouble with this club too.

Lasered the group in front of us at 275 out on 14. There was a pretty stout breeze in our face and I'm thinking even if I stripe this one it's only gonna carry and roll 240 max. I beasted one down the pipe that stayed low under the wind a bit and gradually started gaining height. I don't know if it was just because of what I realized was about to happen, but it seemed like that ball was never going to come down. It was like it was flying in slow motion. Finally the ball plopped down probably about 10 yards behind the guys in front of us and proceeded to take a bounce and smack right into the bag in the back of their cart. I...felt...horrible, and a great drive was ruined by how $h!tty I felt hitting into those people. sorry guys!!! Truly am.

Anyway, I'm definitely impressed by the new offering from TMAG. Much more than last year's iteration. It's definately a bomber and straight to boot. The Phenom shaft seems to fit me quite well. I'm gonna try out some others. That's just what I do. But seeing as how I've picked up a solid club to club and a half of distance with this one I can't see myself squeezing out too much more distance wise.

Side Note: does anybody know what the launch characteristics of the Phenom shaft are supposed to be? It says low/mid online, but I'm definately getting HIGH. Not an arching or ballooning high. It just gets up quick, keeps getting up, and comes down on a shallow decent angle as well. I like it, but it just seems to not fit the bill of what Aldila claimed for this type of shaft.

From what I have read its supose to be a mid launch shaft, could be the head is just a little higher launching/spinning. Of course I could be completely wrong as well lol.

Based on the launch monitor numbers I have seen, the Phenom would be a pretty middle of the road shaft for both launch and spin. Sounds like your ballflight is perfect.

Phenom launched high for me. I had to go into an xflex to control height. Well that's what the rep did. It worked well enough. I am going to another demo today to finalize things as I can get on a monitor and see data. So far I am thinking hd6 or tipping a pjx I have laying around. This driver is pretty good

Just read through the last few pages. Nice updates guys, thanks for your thoughts. Seems like TM has a winner here, I can't wait to hit this club.

can anyone explain the adjustment points for changing the loft, at the moment i have mine set to higher which i assume is 12* for 10.5* club. What loft do i get if i move it to one notch left of the higher setting and then what to i get if i move it one notch right of the higher setting

can anyone explain the adjustment points for changing the loft, at the moment i have mine set to higher which i assume is 12* for 10.5* club. What loft do i get if i move it to one notch left of the higher setting and then what to i get if i move it one notch right of the higher setting

Yes higher is 12* for a 10.5* head, first setting left of standard is 0.75* higher loft, then next one is higher which is 1.5* more loft, then the setting after higher is 0.75* more loft but more upright.

Yes higher is 12* for a 10.5* head, first setting left of neutral is 0.75* higher loft, then next one is higher which is 1.5* more loft, then the setting after higher is 0.75* more loft but more upright.

more upright, when would you use this setting? i thought the most you can get is 12*, so the setting to the left of higher would be still 12* but more upright?

more upright, when would you use this setting? i thought the most you can get is 12*, so the setting to the left of higher would be still 12* but more upright?

yes more upright as in lie angle not loft. 12* loft is the most you can get out of a 10.5* head, a more upright lie will help if your still missing right. The setting to the left of higher is not 12*, it will be 11.25* but a little more upright lie angle.

yes more upright as in lie angle not loft. 12* loft is the most you can get out of a 10.5* head, a more upright lie will help if your still missing right. The setting to the left of higher is not 12*, it will be 11.25* but a little more upright lie angle.

thanks i will try thet setting as on the course i am still missing a bit right, however on the range i am straight as an arrow.

thanks i will try thet setting as on the course i am still missing a bit right, however on the range i am straight as an arrow.

you can try closing the ASP plate to C+ as well if your not already there.

you can try closing the ASP plate to C+ as well if your not already there.
yes i am at c+, alot of it is due to tee height, the turf is like concrete and my tee height is a bit heigher than i would use and i cant use my perfered epoc tee . Alsothe frozen course is not helping as in normal season my misses right would still be in the first cut, but today the ball was hitting the ground and bouncing another 20 yards further right into the deep rough.

yes i am at c+, alot of it is due to tee height, the turf is like concrete and my tee height is a bit heigher than i would use and i cant use my perfered epoc tee . Alsothe frozen course is not helping as in normal season my misses right would still be in the first cut, but today the ball was hitting the ground and bouncing another 20 yards further right into the deep rough.

Ya frozen ground isnt good lol. Im not being a smart a** but have you tried aiming down the left hand side?

Ya frozen ground isnt good lol. Im not being a smart a** but have you tried aiming down the left hand side?
yes but there is more crap down the left and usually when i aim left i hit it flush and goes straight left to where i am aiming and does not come in :act-up:

i still love it though and once i dial it in i wll be happy as i am hitting it further than any driver i have had, and to be honest i am not missing by much to the right.

yes but there is more crap down the left and usually when i aim left i hit it flush and goes straight left to where i am aiming and does not come in :act-up:

i still love it though and once i dial it in i wll be happy as i am hitting it further than any driver i have had, and to be honest i am not missing by much to the right.

haha got it, I hate when that happens. I bet once it starts to warm up and you can get out there and really get her dialed in you wont be missing right to often. Also do you have the 10gram weight in the heel, that will help a TON if its not there.

haha got it, I hate when that happens. I bet once it starts to warm up and you can get out there and really get her dialed in you wont be missing right to often. Also do you have the 10gram weight in the heel, that will help a TON if its not there.
yes the 10 is in the heel, even tried a 14 in the heel, but went back to 10, like i said at the range i am hitting it straight as an arrow, but on the course i am seeing a little left to right on some shots and the bad bounces are making it worse than it would be.

yes the 10 is in the heel, even tried a 14 in the heel, but went back to 10, like i said at the range i am hitting it straight as an arrow, but on the course i am seeing a little left to right on some shots and the bad bounces are making it worse than it would be.

I usually have a little different ball flight on course than the range as well just because that is when it counts and on the range its just swing away. Right now ive set mine up to 10g in the toe, ASP to O+ and loft on standard. Fits my eye perfect in these settings.

I usually have a little different ball flight on course than the range as well just because that is when it counts and on the range its just swing away. Right now ive set mine up to 10g in the toe, ASP to O+ and loft on standard. Fits my eye perfect in these settings.

I am really looking forward to your take on this driver! You being a Ho and all will bring a certain expertise to the process.

I am really looking forward to your take on this driver! You being a Ho and all will bring a certain expertise to the process.

Im really looking forward to playing it, so excited for this one.

They have a playability guarantee for ya 10! Check the website

Back