2012 Callaway Hex Black Tour Golf Ball - PGA Show Video

:rain: :angry:

The last 2 weeks it's been pretty nice during the week and then it rains on the weekend!!

It's a communist plot I tell ya!

Actually they are predicting sun tomorrow so hopefully I will have the new Hex Blacks out for their first test tomorrow

Played 9 holes with each ball today and despite playing terribly off the tee, the ball performed great around the green. With all the wedge shots I had to hit, you would think the ball would have been destroyed. Both of them look quite good and I did not even toss them in the shag bag as I normally do, but they can still be played as new.

The Chrome ball spins out of this world for me. I had one spin back measured at 16 feet (measured by walking off) and at times the spin was bordering crazy. The black is the hop and stop for me. They definitely have stepped up the golf ball this year in my opinion. I was a fan of the Z last year, but struggled with the S. I think both of these models are improvements on last years models.

Thanks for your thoughts JB. Ihope this question makes sense that I'm about to lay down. I reckon I was fit for the iZ at my Callaway fitting and much liked the ball. What I noticed though is when I wasn't striking the ball well (fats, hooks etc) I almost thought it played worse for me that if I were to have the RX back in the bag. Do you believe in a a level of forgiveness when it comes to a golf ball? If so would the Chrome be the more forgiving ball in this case?

I just love the Z but like I said I would like something that is as "forgiving" as the RX has been. With how good of a price the Chrome is, I think it could be a great second ball.

A level of forgiveness? Not sure. A ball that matches ones swing better when on or off? Absolutely. Sometimes I just dont have it off the tee and prefer a ball that spins less and is easier to compress. Other times I am really feeling it and want a ball with other traits. Hope this helps.

I know youre asking JB Yoccos but I thought Id throw my two cents in here as well. I think the 'forgiveness' of the golf ball is more or less how explosive the core of the ball is for your swing. If you can still engage the core on a mishit, youll get better performance out of one that you might not engage the core.. Does that make sense?

That being said, on perfect strikes you dont want a ball that over compresses on you.

This is VERY interesting info because I thought the Black was supposed to have more short spin. But this is also good news because if I can save $10 on balls for the chrome and still get great spin I would be ecstatic!

This is VERY interesting info because I thought the Black was supposed to have more short spin. But this is also good news because if I can save $10 on balls for the chrome and still get great spin I would be ecstatic!

As I mentioned above, the spin I was referring to was a full swing spin. I think both balls have a tremendous amount, but the Chrome on full swings was out of this world. It would depend on the type of player one is and what he wants out of the golf ball.

A level of forgiveness? Not sure. A ball that matches ones swing better when on or off? Absolutely. Sometimes I just dont have it off the tee and prefer a ball that spins less and is easier to compress. Other times I am really feeling it and want a ball with other traits. Hope this helps.

This helps a lot actually. I was trying to figure out how to phrase what I was asking lol. The iZ under ideal conditions is the probably the best ball for me. But overall the RX is easier to compress I reckon and I didn't even really think of it in those terms (matching both on and off). The Chrome sounds like it might end up the bag. Gonna grab a sleeve to try based on your feedback.

I know youre asking JB Yoccos but I thought Id throw my two cents in here as well. I think the 'forgiveness' of the golf ball is more or less how explosive the core of the ball is for your swing. If you can still engage the core on a mishit, youll get better performance out of one that you might not engage the core.. Does that make sense?

That being said, on perfect strikes you dont want a ball that over compresses on you.

This makes perfect sense too. So almost you want to know if you get ideal results on good days and still are able to engage the core on bad days.

I do love engaging the core.

Really keen to try the chrome off the feedback from JB. As well as the black. I'll really need to test both.

Im a pretty high spin player in general, so I usually choose on the side of less spin. However I love the Chrome off the putter. If I was buying them, I would say Chrome because at the price I think they are a serious bargain. I mean SERIOUS bargain. For those that are fans of the Pro V1 golf ball, think similar ball, however FAR FAR FAR more durable for $10 + less.

The black has a lower ball flight for me off the tee and has a nice one hop and stop. Spins good on wedge play and feels great too. I think the Chrome flies a little further off the tee for me, but that could be ball flight.
THanks JB, I think the Chrome could be the perfect ball for me, and like you said, at that price its a freaking steal. I think if the chrome can offer incredible tour level performance and great durability for a price thats $10-$15 less than other tour balls, Callaway has a winner on their hands. As soon as they hit the shelves they will be in play for me.

Completely agree dude. I am loving how the Chrome sounds right now. More distance and more stopping power plus it feels awesome off the putter. Plus it costs less!! Perfection

I am now more excited than ever for these! They can't be released soon enough!

Man, maybe I should have tried to find some of the Chrome on ebay!

I am so impatient to try these out I might just pull the trigger on a dozen on eBay...

While the balls are listed on Cally's website, I wish they were a part of their online golf ball selector gizmo #disappointed

Man, maybe I should have tried to find some of the Chrome on ebay!

I went shopping there this morning. One seller had 2 sleeves of each (1 dz) with a starting bid of $29.99+ shipping. If you're impatient and would like to buy it now you could have said 12 balls for $99.99. I can't find it now or the one that is currently up has taken down the buy it now option. There are 6 dozen blacks going for $226.01 right now.

Happy shopping.

The Chrome ball played incredibly well today. The more I use these, the more I am enjoying the performance. However the best part of the ball for me so far is the durability. I expect performance out of a premium golf ball, but very few offer good durability. These are one of those exceptions.

The Chrome ball played incredibly well today. The more I use these, the more I am enjoying the performance. However the best part of the ball for me so far is the durability. I expect performance out of a premium golf ball, but very few offer good durability. These are one of those exceptions.
You're killing me JB, I can't wait to get these in play as soon as they are released here. I almost don't think I need to try the black, as the chrome just sounds perfect for my game.

You're killing me JB, I can't wait to get these in play as soon as they are released here. I almost don't think I need to try the black, as the chrome just sounds perfect for my game.

Same here CB, I thought for sure that the Black would be the ball for me, but the more I hear about the Chrome the more I want it. High spin, great distance, great feel off the putter, high durability, AND lower price point?!?!? It doesn't get any better!

I went shopping there this morning. One seller had 2 sleeves of each (1 dz) with a starting bid of $29.99+ shipping. If you're impatient and would like to buy it now you could have said 12 balls for $99.99. I can't find it now or the one that is currently up has taken down the buy it now option. There are 6 dozen blacks going for $226.01 right now.

Happy shopping.

Yeah, I got lucky when I grabbed mine....guy had them listed at 39.99 and the bid got to $46 with free shipping....well that's the price they are going to be in the store....so I did fine.....I wasn't about to pay 30 bucks a sleeve...LOL

Just did a quick check and look what I found! It shows pre order but delivery date shows next week...does that mean the release date really is next week?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Callawa...08838794?pt=US_Golf_Balls&hash=item19ccb8b28a

Phil on the ball after the win.

"I had a big advantage this week, I felt, because when the winds started coming up, when the rain started coming up, I felt like I had an advantage by the way my ball was flying and being controlled through that wind. We've got a new ball this year, HEX Black (Tour), and it just flew so good and penetrated through the air so much better that in this thick, cold air I felt like I had a big advantage."

Phil on the ball after the win.

"I had a big advantage this week, I felt, because when the winds started coming up, when the rain started coming up, I felt like I had an advantage by the way my ball was flying and being controlled through that wind. We've got a new ball this year, HEX Black (Tour), and it just flew so good and penetrated through the air so much better that in this thick, cold air I felt like I had a big advantage."

Have you had much wind play with the ball? Is it a noticeable difference from other balls?

Have you had much wind play with the ball? Is it a noticeable difference from other balls?

I have not with the Black, but I felt as though it flew slightly lower than the iZ last year.

That's a pretty cool thing to hear from Phil.

I like the Tour iZ would like to try these as well

I played in some pretty seriious wind and noted it when I posted in the what ball did you play thread abou how well this ball went through the wind, I was seeing close to my normal distance in to the wind that I would see with the iZ with no wind. Its a AMAZING wind ball.

Back