Few things... I need serious answers

Dude Im not even going to answer this post in fear of "offending you", I think that should give you a good idea.

I addressed each and every part of this in a long drawn out reply and then I seen this reply and just scraped it all. Not worth the time.

Thanks 10yard for saving me!

I addressed each and every part of this in a long drawn out reply and then I seen this reply and just scraped it all. Not worth the time.

Thanks 10yard for saving me!

Aww come on man... I won't be offended!

Hahaha... Nope he's 42. If you think like that too I'd be happy to switch to lefty and take over your MC bag!

Wow!!! I am 22 years older and I would consider his thinking to be that of an old fogey. I don't agree with any of those opinions. One thing I have learned in this life is that I am not always right, sounds like he has yet to realize this. If this is offensive I am sorry, but you did ask, and I am playing the grumpy old man card. :D

Wow!!! I am 22 years older and I would consider his thinking to be that of an old fogey. I don't agree with any of those opinions. One thing I have learned in this life is that I am not always right, sounds like he has yet to realize this. If this is offensive I am sorry, but you did ask, and I am playing the grumpy old man card. :D

Grump away old man. You're allowed. lol.

Kevin

No offense taken dude at all...

Per your sig, you are an equipment tester here. You are an equipment tester for the best board on web and you can come up with your own answers/information to debate these topics with your father? More specifically, you are testing B-stone balls and you can't figure out the first one on your own? Wow.

Lmao...

No Comment

I am just curious as to where your dad got his information from. Is it stuff other people have told him over the years?

I think he may have been talking to too many old wives.

About the only one I could even come close to agreeing with is the hybrid one. And that is a matter of personal preference. Some people prefer irons, some woods and some hybrids.

Per your sig, you are an equipment tester here. You are an equipment tester for the best board on web and you can come up with your own answers/information to debate these topics with your father? More specifically, you are testing B-stone balls and you can't figure out the first one on your own? Wow.

I can totally figure it out on my own. I gave a very good argument actually. I'm not an expert on the topic. I'm sure there's something I left out. And I want to hear how other people would respond to it. Is that an issue?

I am just curious as to where your dad got his information from. Is it stuff other people have told him over the years?

I think he may have been talking to too many old wives.

About the only one I could even come close to agreeing with is the hybrid one. And that is a matter of personal preference. Some people prefer irons, some woods and some hybrids.

His theories are all based on what his dad thought which was all the same stuff. And he thinks none of it matters to non-pros.

The only thing I might ask is how your father feels about paved roads.....electricity.....indoor plumbing.....plains,trains and automobiles?

His theories are all based on what his dad thought which was all the same stuff. And he thinks none of it matters to non-pros.

Actions speak louder than words so here is what you do:

Find the oldest set of equipment you can (old blades, balls, etc) and have him go out and play 18 holes. Then have him go out and play 18 with a current set of clubs and a few of those balls you are testing and let the results speak for themselves.

Unless your dad is a pure ball striker and just a natural stud, then the results will say it all.

The only thing I might ask is how your father feels about paved roads.....electricity.....indoor plumbing.....plains,trains and automobiles?

haha dude I just about spit out my drink reading this!

Wow!!! I am 22 years older and I would consider his thinking to be that of an old fogey. I don't agree with any of those opinions. One thing I have learned in this life is that I am not always right, sounds like he has yet to realize this.

Im a bit older also and he is just wrong on this. I am much better now than I was when I was 42 and I can assure you it's not because I'm in better shape now nor am I more flexible:act-up:.

Well, even though we all probably know the answers to these, I'll give it a run since Icemann is begging for responses (all statements MY opinions only and do not reflect the thinking of any normal, well-adjusted human):

It makes zero difference what ball you use. You'll shoot the same with the ProV1 you obsess over or the old Top Flite in my bag.

I agree with this statement with this caveat; If you're still topping the ball and spraying it all over the course, the ball doesn't matter. But when you're handicap lowers to near single-digits, you want consistency.

Fitting makes no difference. Only a tour pro could care even though it really makes no difference there because they are so good.

Fitting makes a significant difference. If you're using irons that are too short for you, then you'll be hunched at address, which then causes the swing plane to be off.

As long as you have the right shaft flex the shaft doesn't matter, and a good player could use any flex.

I agree with this statement if you qualify what "good player" means. Is that a 20 handicap or a 2 handicap? We all try to push our limits to become "great" players. We search for the next thing to help us gain that extra yard, hit more greens, sink more putts. This is why golf is an addiction for most of us. Always trying to improve.

Hybrids are pointless because you should learn to hit an iron.

Lee Trevino once said that in a lightning storm, he would hold up a 1 iron; because even God can't hit a 1 iron. Take away your Dad's drivers/woods and give him a 1 iron. Bet he quits the game before the back nine.

You only need one wedge past your pitching wedge because you can just open the face.

Opening the face of the club will increase loft, but also minimized the surface area I have to contact the ball. In 3 inch rough, if I open the face I risk sliding completely under the ball. So, that statement isn't incorrect, its just making the game sooo much harder than it has to be.

Grooves aren't important if you are a good ball striker.

Wrong. If grooves weren't important, I think they'd save the trouble of putting them on the clubs to begin with.

Any electronic device is a completely unnecessary commodity that only snobs use.

Did Thomas Edison and your Dad throw down at some point? If your course has electric carts, your Dad should be walking from now on.

Knock offs are just as good as the real ones.

Tell me that Sam's Cola tastes exactly the same as Coke and I'll believe this statement. (all trademarks property of their owners)

The club doesn't matter at all. It's all in your head, it's 100% swing.

The club doesn't matter, if you don't care where it goes or how far. The goal for most of us is to beat our buddies when we play (or Old Man Par), so we want to get the ball in the hole in less strokes than our opponents.

Irons are irons and there's no difference between those fat ones and the expensive blades the pros use.

Wrong again. They're all based on skill level. Game improvement irons are better for inconsistent players, blades for more consistent players who need to work the ball or need a more consistent flight.

So after answering all of these, I realized that if I was arguing the same points with my father, that loveable curmudgeon would be so convinced with his thoughts that even a panel of experts couldn't convince him to change his mind. So I'd just crack open a beer, smile and say "Huh, never thought of it that way" and move on. :)

You might want to consider what golf was like when your Dad started playing. It would contribute tremendously to his thinking about clubs and balls today. I'll bet they didn't use all these devices to determine swings, ball rotations or any of the fancy things that are used today.

I hear almost all of this from the older guys at the course where I work. I don't even try to debate it with them because they are so set in their ways. TBH, I would have agreed with a lot of this several years ago because I just didn't know better.

It makes zero difference what ball you use. You'll shoot the same with the ProV1 you obsess over or the old Top Flite in my bag.
After going through a live ball fitting and doing 3 ball testings for THP, I have learned that this is absolutely false. I cannot believe the difference having the right ball has made for my game (longer, better trajectory, easier to compress, much softer). I gave away 15 brand new balls today because they were not my favorite ball.

Fitting makes no difference. Only a tour pro could care even though it really makes no difference there because they are so good.
Again, I used to believe this until I was properly fitted to men's clubs after playing women's clubs that were too short and too flimsy for me. My game immediately improved once I had the proper fitting. In fact, it improved by at least 10 strokes with the fitting and lessons.

As long as you have the right shaft flex the shaft doesn't matter, and a good player could use any flex. When I went through a fitting last year, Cleveland had the XL270 and SL290 drivers. I tried both with a regular flex shaft in them. I couldn't hit one to save my life but hit the other one great. The weight and flex points were different and it mattered a ton with my swing.

Hybrids are pointless because you should learn to hit an iron. If they are pointless, why do so many pros use them?

You only need one wedge past your pitching wedge because you can just open the face. This may be true but I know my yardages really well with my gap and sand wedges and prefer using them. I envy people who can use one wedge and make it work.

Grooves aren't important if you are a good ball striker. ???

Any electronic device is a completely unnecessary commodity that only snobs use. I guess I am a snob then. Very helpful to know your yardages!

Knock offs are just as good as the real ones. No experience here to comment.

The club doesn't matter at all. It's all in your head, it's 100% swing. Wow, he needs to go to a THP demo day! Again, having a couple fittings now and especially with a driver, it absolutely does matter. I've seen huge differences depending on what I'm hitting. I've seen people at demo days gain 20-30 yards over their current driver by hitting one fitted to their swing. It's really amazing to watch that happen.

Irons are irons and there's no difference between those fat ones and the expensive blades the pros use. Well why can't I hit a blade then? Golf is meant to be enjoyed. Many of us will never develop the skill to hit a blade so we use more forgiving clubs that help us play better. Heck, even folks who can hit a blade more often choose a GI club because of the forgiveness. It's the smart thing to do.

I suggest you do all of those things - get fitted for the right ball, clubs/shafts, make sure you buy a couple hybrids, etc. then with your electronic range finder, start dropping darts. while you're at it, I highly suggest keeping your dad away from the internet, although I'm guessing that might not be a problem.

Irons are irons and there's no difference between those fat ones and the expensive blades the pros use.

Played at a club and the pro would make this true. He could take any right handed Club and knock the S**t out of it . User's are the cause of bad hit's.

does your dad play golf?

I'm 56 so maybe close to your dad's age? But, maybe not. :)

I don't believe this. I can spin a premium ball around the green and have much more control over it. As a result a premium ball can save me strokes versus a two piece ball.

Not true. My specs are +1 inch and 3º upright. If I played off the rack clubs I'd have a lot of trouble hitting them. In addition, having the right shaft is a critical component to having the right set up.

As long as you have the right shaft flex the shaft doesn't matter, and a good player could use any flex.

Not true. A regular flex in a Dynamic Gold will fly a lot lower than a regular flex in a Nippon 850GH, not to mention the weight will vary greatly. It's possible a good player could use any flex, but he'd have to make a lot of adjustments to his swing and his scores would reflect this.

Hybrids are pointless because you should learn to hit an iron.

Why? Even most PGA professionals have replaced hard to hit long irons with hybrids. What does that say about the average golfer?

You only need one wedge past your pitching wedge because you can just open the face.

It depends on the bounce of the wedge. I use my 60º wedge around the green all the time, but I rely on my gap wedge a lot as well.

Grooves aren't important if you are a good ball striker.

If a club didn't have any grooves it would be impossible to impart any spin on the ball. Without grooves the ball couldn't get up in the air nearly as effectively.

Any electronic device is a completely unnecessary commodity that only snobs use.

An electronic device can give a golfer the correct yardage to the hole. That's just information. Nothing snobbish about that.

Knock offs are just as good as the real ones.

Not even close. Inferior materials are used. Balance, weight, etc., all affect the club, which in turn affect the swing, ball flight and ultimately score.

The club doesn't matter at all. It's all in your head, it's 100% swing.

Today's technology has forgiven some sins in the golf swing, but regardless you still have to put a good swing on a golf shot.

There is a big difference. Yes, if you hit the sweet spot of both the golfer will end up with a good shot, however it's the misses where the difference is seen. A miss with an SGI will offer more forgiveness than a miss with a blade. And, more and more pros are using clubs that offer more and more forgiveness.

just tell him he is right and then ask for money so you can get fit for new clubs

Its probably not even getting into an argument because if he is 42 its doubtful that he's gonna change no matter what you tell him. that being said, Sean is spot on with his rebuttals.

You could just get him to join THP and read various reviews from people with more knowledge of the game and club specifics......he could of course just be tight and not want to spend any money

Back