Things That Irritate You On the Course?

I edited my post, what I meant was people driving in your fairway while you are about to hit looking for their ball.

That makes more sense.

1. SLOW PLAY
2. Not raking the traps
3. Not knocking the sand off your feet before walking on the green
4. Fishing for balls in the water when there is someone waiting behind.
5. On par 5's, groups waiting for greens to clear before they hit their approach and they need another 2-3 shots to get there.

About the only thing that irritates me is when I see things on a course that could be easily fixed to make it a lot nicer but they just don't seem to care or have the time and money for anything but mowing.

About the only thing that irritates me is when I see things on a course that could be easily fixed to make it a lot nicer but they just don't seem to care or have the time and money for anything but mowing.

Along with this, ROCKS IN THE SAND TRAPS! I pay money to play golf, not scratch the ever loving crap out of my sand wedge.

People that hit in to the groups in front of them. Its annoying, especially when the course is backed up.

Edit; And people that buy new golf equipment. :bulgy-eyes:

The usual stuff that seems to go along with a lack of consideration for others...slow play, not raking bunkers or fixing ball marks on the green, leaving huge gouge marks in the fairways etc...

Not offering or allowing a single to play through

TapAhoy!

People who play singles on weekends!!

People who ask to play through when there is nowhere to go.

We'll always let a single go through, but once at an executive course, we were sitting on a bench waiting for the group ahead to finish out a par 3 (all missed the green and were all over the place), and the entire course was backed up with families with kids playing, etc.). The single behind us just goes to the tee and tees up! I tell him we're waiting to hit and he asks us, "mind if I play through?" And I ask him, "Where so you think you're going to go?" And he says, "yeah, I guess", and picks up his ball. I told him he could play with us if he wanted, but he passed.

We'll always let a single go through, but once at an executive course, we were sitting on a bench waiting for the group ahead to finish out a par 3 (all missed the green and were all over the place), and the entire course was backed up with families with kids playing, etc.). The single behind us just goes to the tee and tees up! I tell him we're waiting to hit and he asks us, "mind if I play through?" And I ask him, "Where so you think you're going to go?" And he says, "yeah, I guess", and picks up his ball. I told him he could play with us if he wanted, but he passed.

He teed up before asking? Not cool.

Yeah, that's another classic...when the course is packed, where do these guys think they are going? We were waiting by our tee shots on a par 4, group on the green and some spazz zings one off the tee into us. One of the guys in my group is very outspoken, so he picks the dudes ball up and throws it into the weeds. Guy gets mad and say "Hey, I'm just playing through!!"....apparently he wasn't. :D

Yeah, that's another classic...when the course is packed, where do these guys think they are going? We were waiting by our tee shots on a par 4, group on the green and some spazz zings one off the tee into us. One of the guys in my group is very outspoken, so he picks the dudes ball up and throws it into the weeds. Guy gets mad and say "Hey, I'm just playing through!!"....apparently he wasn't. :D

Same situation, a guy hit up on us 3 times. I tried to be nice but the 3rd one landed about 5 feet from me. I teed the ball up and hit it back at him. true story

Now if you hit into someone, just say sorry, still getting used to the length of my Rocketballz.

Groups that refuse to let a walker play through because they believe he must be slower because he's walking.

I hit the ball in play, you don't. I play rounds walking in 2 hours, you don't.

Don't turn and stare at me and groan about me playing up near you while your buddy hits, YOU won't let ME play through.

Grrr...

I played a course a while back and it was a public one but there were kids running about the course and always a hole in front of us and they were stealing the pins and breaking them or throwing them in the woods. What can you do? they are like 12 years old, so that annoys me people who disrespect the course which includes people dropping litter. I also hate slow play especially when people are aware you are waiting and still continue to be slow.

You're kidding? You wouldn't say something to 12 year olds?

So, does anyone LIKE slow play? I didn't think so. It annoys all of us, particularly when we can see how the group in front of us is wasting time.

But, I get more rattled by the problem pointed out by the OP, which is aggressively FAST play when the course is backed up. No one has ever accused me of being a slow player, although with the swing changes I have made this past year my pre-shot routine has become a little complex (too many practice swings). But I really cannot stand having a group pushing me from behind when I know my group is keeping pace with the guys in front of us.

A few weeks ago I was paired up with a twosome of Seniors on a course that is notorious for getting bogged down on the back nine. There are some tough holes there and groups tend to pile up on each other. The guys I was paired with insisted on playing as fast as possible to stay on the rear of the people in front of us. When I asked them what the hurry was, they said "We need to keep pressure on them to speed up". The group in front of did take a long time to hit their balls, but they were keeping pace with the other groups.

If you know for sure that there is an opening ahead of the group in front of you, then I can see trying to encourage them to let you play through. But if the course is busy, just play your game and try to be patient.

On a par 4, I won't tee off until the group in front of me has moved on to the green. If they have one guy who is hitting his third shot from 125 out, I'm not going to tee off just because my buddies say "You can't reach him." What's the point? We're still going to have to wait for their group to putt out before we play our second shots. I can wait on the tee now, or wait on the fairway later, and I would rather wait until the fairway is clear so I'm not thinking about the guys in front of me. I'm sure they would prefer not to have my drive land within 25 yards of them, too.

But that logic didn't work on the guys I was paired with a few weeks ago. If I wouldn't hit, they would go ahead and tee up a ball and hit. They also kept complaining about the number of practice swings the guys in front of us would take before topping a ball 30 yards forward. That's a legitimate complaint, I guess, but it made me extremely self-conscious about my previously mentioned pre-shot routine. If I took more than 2 practice swings, I felt this enormous pressure to make a good shot.

A slower foursome hitting the turn, going inside to get fresh beer, eats, use the bathroom, etc, and as soon as my foursome finishes up on 9, they sprint to #10 tee box to tee off. Drives me in freaking sane.

Rusty, I'm with you. I would rather just adjust to the pace of play than be all freaked out about it. Obviously, one group holding up a course is different, but weekend pace is weekend pace. I just do my thing and try to forget about it.

Groups that refuse to let a walker play through because they believe he must be slower because he's walking.

I hit the ball in play, you don't. I play rounds walking in 2 hours, you don't.

Don't turn and stare at me and groan about me playing up near you while your buddy hits, YOU won't let ME play through.

Grrr...

dude. Walkers are slower. think they own the course with their fancy push carts and pretty wheels.

dude. Walkers are slower. think they own the course with their fancy push carts and pretty wheels.

Lol. I get irritated when 2 somes think they have the right to play through no matter what. Sometimes the course is just so packed, if everyone let these turds play through we are now all waiting on the 2 some. I agree with Hawk and rusty above, sometimes the logic these people have makes no sense at all.

+ freaking 1 Jman.I told this story before, but it fits here too.I am out late, trying to squeeze in a few hole before dark. On my course,which is 9 holes, the first and 9th hole are right beside each other with a cart path separating them. I was waiting on the first tee for some people who were playing on 9 to putt out. They were sitting on my cart path, which they shouldn't have been, but it's no big deal. I am not about to hit over their carts, especially with their relatively attractive daughter sitting in one of them. So they finish, and get this, it is a group of 10. thats right, 10. They start to pull up behind me, and I can finally hit, so I do. I am half way down the fairway to my ball when one of them pulls up beside me and says, in a tone dripping with sarcasm, "Thanks for offering to let us play through, but we'll just go on up to number 2." And off they go, like a little convoy. I could have chunked my 9 iron at him I was so mad. I finish the 1st, a par 5, before they are done teeing off.

Spitting and drooling all over yourself multiple times during your pre shot routine :alien:

LMAO.. I had no clue he was like that.

Have you met this guy on your course???

Gets to the second green... whines that he was about to drain that 30' putt for birdie but "some idiot didn't repair his ball mark and my ball bounced". Then the same guy proceeds to not fix one of his own ball marks all day or divots for that matter. Love it!!! (facetious)

Alex

That may be the first time I have heard that complaint.

The things that get me are the standard greens that aren't repaired, tee boxes that are destroyed, and people with no clue acting recklessly. Slow play doesn't bother me as long as it is just because the course is backed up. If the people are acting like fools on the course, then I have a problem.

The biggest thing that bothers me however, is when a course thinks it's nicer than it is and over prices. I have played some pretty average courses that believe that they are US Open sites. On the flip side, one of my favorite courses that I have played was interesting and very well kept. They charged $30 for 18 and a cart. It was fantastic.

Yes.. that's a good one. Apparently you've golfed around here. There are a few that do that very thing in these parts.

Alex

For me its pretty specific to my course, but we are both a private course and a resort course, so in the summer you get a million tourists on the course who are on vacation and have nothing better to do then golf and drink and have a good time which is great for them, but this is my home course and I'm trying to get a round in.
We have member tee times reserved for the first 3 hours of the day, but still if you have to go out after that, then in can be a long long day out on the course.

Other than the usual stuff mentioned already, I once played in a tournament where the course hired a bagpipe player to walk around the cart paths playing the thing the entire time. I don't know who ever thought that would be a good idea. It's a great way to infuriate 18 packed holes of drunk golfers. I'm surprised the guy escaped the course with his life.

Spitting and drooling all over yourself multiple times during your pre shot routine :alien:

Oh man, that was absolutely disgusting to watch!

Other than the usual stuff mentioned already, I once played in a tournament where the course hired a bagpipe player to walk around the cart paths playing the thing the entire time. I don't know who ever thought that would be a good idea. It's a great way to infuriate 18 packed holes of drunk golfers. I'm surprised the guy escaped the course with his life.

That is really, really, really, and yes, really odd. Who thought that was a good idea? LOL.

Back