What is "your rhythm" on the course?

JF

Reaction score
I played 27 holes in under 3 hours walking today. I played some of the best golf of my life. I was in my rhythm. I play the best when I can go hit my ball and go. No waiting at all. Only guy on the course. This year, I'm gonna start logging time with my scores. I want to see if there is a correlation between time and scores. It seems as though faster = better for me. How do you guys feel about this?

There's definitely a correlation for me. Those rounds where it feels like I have to wait on every tee box or fairway to hit, my scores go up. Hard to maintain a rhythm when the time between shots varies or is excessively long.

I have not noticed any correlation. If I am playing a round with friends, I don't mind a little slower play. I get to hang out with friends. I relax that way. The lowest rounds I have shot were when I was in a twosome behind a foursome.

I just know when the round flows smoothly I play better(no stops, yet not too fast). I just seem comfortable when I don't have to stop in between shots

I like to keep moving at a good steady pace. I do not like to feel rushed but I also do not like to have to wait any significant amount of time to hit shots either. I guess for me, a nice steady flow is what I prefer. I am sure what is good for me may not be for someone else...I guess it is all relative.

I play better when I'm the only one out there too. I like to hit my ball drive up to it, go through my routine and hit it again. There is nothing worse than hitting a good drive and having to wait for 5-6 minutes to hit another one. Messes up the flow big time.

I play better when I'm the only one out there too. I like to hit my ball drive up to it, go through my routine and hit it again. There is nothing worse than hitting a good drive and having to wait for 5-6 minutes to hit another one. Messes up the flow big time.

I drove two par 4 greens today, I missed both ~12 foot eagle putts be less than 6 inches. I can almost guarantee you I would have three putted had I underestimated my distance, hit the green when guys were still on it, wait for them to finish, then listen to them b*tch about it. Smooth flow totally helped me.

I would think there would be a correlation... But only because if you are playing worse then you are likely taking more strokes, which likely means you are taking more time. Even if you take the same amount of time per stroke as compared to a good day, the bad day would obviously take more time.

I don't mind having to wait a bit on approach shots into the green where I know how far I have to hit it and if I can for sure make it.
What makes me hit my worst shots generally is waiting on the tee box for the group in front of me to hit their second shots at the range where I'm not sure if I can hit it that far or not so I wait for them to move up and then hit a terrible shot way short or into the trees

Depends on the occasion.

I definitely like to keep a swift place if I'm playing by myself. I know I'll play better in that situation if I'm able to breeze through the round. However, I don't mind a slower pace at all if I'm with my friends and/or family. I cherish my time on the golf course, especially rounds with those closest to me. I don't get to see my brothers very often so I, honestly, don't care how long the round takes when I'm playing with either or both of them.

i think that if your playing quickly it becomes a bit more of a reaction game witch very well could help you score but if your being rushed to play faster for whatever reason can be very destructive.

I don't really need extremes either way. If I can do my thing without being rushed or slowed down I'm good to go. I'm flexible with it for the most part.

Im trying to learn to play as slow as possible (within reason) without holding people up. I fully understand what effects this has on a golf course, and I also understand what holding people up really is.

Same here.

We generally play pretty fast...about 3 1/2 hours as a walking 4-some...and that pace seems to suit me well as far as keeping things going. When it gets slow, I do have to adjust my attitude a bit so as not to let the pace affect my game.

2 of us had the course to ourselves the other day, and walked it in just under 3 hours, playing extra shots once in a while. It seemed slow until we looked at the time. Guess it all just depends.

I play much better when there's no waiting. If I can have the time to think about my shot, do my routine and not have to wait works so much better.

I haven't really noticed a correlation. I never thought of golf as a rhythm sport. I just focus (or try to) before I swing and don't see a problem with waiting.

I have noticed a strong correlation to this when I play. This weekend I was stuck behind a foursome who would not let my twosome play through, ended up waiting 6-9 minutes between shots just threw off all the momentum and rhythm I had going. The rounds when my group is moving at a good pace (i agree with not too slow, but not too fast) just being able to go and play smoothly I always end up scoring well.

I play better when I play faster. Having to wait sucks.

I play fast. I see where I am, the range, pick a club, couple of practice swings, hit the ball, go.

But I mainly do this if I'm playing pretty good. If I feel it's getting away from me, I'll slow down a tad....but not much.

I like to keep the flow moving along or I get out of rhythm. I strive for a smooth tempo in my swing and when the holes get backed up, it throws me off. I tend to quicken up my rhythm, once the green or hole clears because I am tired of waiting. Slow play throws off my tempo. When I'm preparing for my shot, I think slow and smooth swing. When I'm not playing and heading down the fairway, I like to get the show on the road. :thumb:

I don't really need extremes either way. If I can do my thing without being rushed or slowed down I'm good to go. I'm flexible with it for the most part.

I agree with Hawk. I'm very durable on the course. I play at the pace being offered on any given day. You have to able to adjust based on different days and different paces of play.

I prefer a quicker pace of play without sacrificing any part of the pre-shot routine. It's crucial. However, sometimes you can't have a quick pace of play and you have to adjust. That's where the mental part of the game and discipline enter the equation.

Alex

I like everyone in my group to play ready golf once one guy hits start the pre shot and pull the trigger I'm not trying to win any time trials but slow play and waiting throws me right off. explitive hosle rocket comes to mind.

I think alot of it has to do with the wait= more time for you to over think, second guess etc...
I noticed I play better if I take my time, but don't second guess my club choice. If I grab a 6 iron on instinct, then that's the club to play.

Back