When do you know?

jcounsman

Reaction score
Handicap
I test drove a few new drivers this last weekend. Warming up I hit my three or four year old model. Truthfully, nothing I hit felt better than my old burner. PLayed it Monday and hit it pretty well...just didn't fall in love with anything more than the current one. So other than breaking a club or just not hitting the one you have...what makes you go for the newer pretty girl...or do you love the one your with....

The older TM Burner's, in my opinion, were always solid. If you just hit it well, then don't change! Don't fall to the pressure of having to buy a new driver every few years...

Since no two drivers produce the same ball flights or results, for me it's a matter of recognizing what will create more desirable results and going after it. If I cannot improve on what I want to, the the current option stays in the bag.

Love the one your with. When you try a new stick. Hit a couple balls. If nothing good happens with those 2, assuming you put your normal swing on it, then that driver/shaft combination is not for you. Any more than 2 and you will start to subconsciously change your swing to fit that driver/shaft combo.

Since no two drivers produce the same ball flights or results, for me it's a matter of recognizing what will create more desirable results and going after it. If I cannot improve on what I want to, the the current option stays in the bag.

This!

I'm still playing the 08 Burner Tour and love the thing. They offered me a great deal on a demo'd Burner 2.0 last year at work and it just wasn't as good to me, so I kept it in the bag. Just because it's a few years old, doesn't mean something new will always be better.

Just to be sure ... You're not talking metaphorically? :D

In all seriousness, I'm sure if you went to a launch monitor, found the right head and found the right shaft, you could find another improved girl to take to the dance. Is it worth the money, effort and time if you are happy? Sounds like a diminishing return to me.

No reason to switch if you like your driver. Aside from just wanting to buy something new, which is a good enough reason I guess.

A majority of this game is mental and confidence in a club or clubs is HUGE....if you hit several balls with other potential drivers and none of them gave you that WOW....I gotta have this....then stick with what you got....have it regripped and keep on a trucking!

I did the same thing this past few weeks with all the new releases. None of the drivers I hit felt any better than my R9supertri. The only one that felt good was the Cleveland Black and I would have to do some considerable side by side comparisons before dropping that type coin.

The only time I have ever had that feeling where something just 'clicks' and you know that the club you have in your hand will change the way you play was when I hit the rocketballz 3 hybrid. Only other golf related thing I have had this feeling with is last years TM Penta ball. All my other gear is trial and error. The superfast driver is going to have to fight hard in the next few weeks to retain it's spot in my bag while I'm hitting other drivers so if I find one that just clicks I'll post again.

If your happy with your current stick then game it but as others have said if you get to a launch monitor and get the right shaft and head then you would probably find something better

Dont try to be trendy when selecting equipment.

Its about scores, not looks or having the newest equipment. If you are hitting the ball better with your 1999 driver, then by all means, keep it in the bag!

I hold on to my clubs for about 7 - 8 years then i just decide i want to get into something new. Plus last time I changed drivers I had a friend wanting my old one in a bad way so I thought the best way to help a friend is for me to buy a new driver so he could get a better driver than he was gaming at the time.

I had the same problem. I wanted to replace my R9 but didn't like the way any other drivers felt. So I am going to game it for as long as I can or until I can find something that fits me better than what I already have.

Back