PING Golf Bag Forum Testing Thread

Date of testing : 2/20/2012
Bag Tested: Ping 4 Series
Testing Type: Range practice (overloaded bag)

The weather was in the low 50s this weekend so I was able to sneak out and log some range time. For this session, I decided to overload my bag (as many typically do when hitting the range) and see how the Ping 4 Series holds up. I carried 2 drivers, 1 fw, 2 hybrids, 2 putters (1 belly, 1 traditional length), and 5-LW. Needless to say, the 4 Series carry bag was not intended for such a full load. It took some significant jostling and maneuvering to get all the clubs in and out of the bag with the stand extended.

With the bag so overloaded with clubs, I definitely wasn't going to fit a jacket in there too. So when I began to warmup at the range, I had to just toss the jacket aside. Not a big deal since I was at the range, but that would be a pain to have to carry on top of the bag mid round. I wasn't too surprised by this, but wanted to report back.

I discussed an analogy I figured out earlier in the testing that I thought I'd bring back for anyone that hasn't followed us from the beginning. The days of a 1 size fits all carry bag are gone. Carry bags are now like cars; specific models seem to be geared towards different market segments. The 4 Series is geared towards those golfers who care the most about weight. It is incredibly light, no doubt about it. However, it doesn't have the amount of storage some other golfers may prefer. Just like in cars, some people want a mini cooper, some want an Avalon.

bf95c080.jpg

NICE range balls they had for me too. I was stuck on the mats since we have so much rain lately. :angry:
6c95430d.jpg

OH YEAH !!! you WERE overloaded LOL .... bet you might not like to carry that load around !

You make some GREAT points about bags designed for different carry styles ! Good Report !

You know that I BELIEVE that I have the MOST AWESOME package around ! FOR SURE it's the most AWESOME at the golf cub where I'm a member .... BAR NONE !!

This Ping Pioneer Bag is just GORGEOUS and the color scheme is the MOSTEST !!

Then check out the Adidas shoes that I put with it huh, how bout that !!

And then there's the Clic Gear 3.0 cart that just pulls it all together HEH !!!

IMG_8696.jpg

IMG_8697.jpg

IMG_8698.jpg

Damn omikey, looking good!

OMikey -
What do you carry in that purple add on bag? Is it more of a tradition thing or is there not a quick enough access pocket that would suit you better? I'm just curious as I used one of those previously for tees, but the 4 Series has a good, quick tee pocket.

Damn omikey, looking good!

Thanks Butters ! Much Appreciate !

OMikey -
What do you carry in that purple add on bag? Is it more of a tradition thing or is there not a quick enough access pocket that would suit you better? I'm just curious as I used one of those previously for tees, but the 4 Series has a good, quick tee pocket.

DDXU - yeah, the add-on bag was/is for my tees. It's a carry over from my old bag and I don't really use it now. The Pioneer bag has 6 tee holders on the outside of the bag, and the Clic Gear has 4 tee holders on the handle.

This is GREAT for me. I had really gotten tired of having the tees and pencils in my pocket. Can't tell ya how many times I've been stabbed by tees and pencils. Couple that with fumbling around for my ball mark repair tool almost all that crap. Now with the new Pioneer bag and the Clic Gear cart the only thing in my pocket is the ball mark repair tool, LOVING IT !!!

Can't tell ya how many times I've been stabbed by tees and pencils.

I've said the same thing about the 4 Series, I wish there was a quick pencil slot on the bag so I don't stab myself continually.

I've said the same thing about the 4 Series, I wish there was a quick pencil slot on the bag so I don't stab myself continually.

yeah man I KNOW !!

and as you know I reported that the Pioneer bag has TWO pencil holders on it, one on either side of the cooler pocket YEAH YEAH !!!!!
also the Clic Gear cart has an elastic thingy to hold a score card to the golve box built into the handle, I slip my pencil under that !! WHOOT !!!

My problem I have with putting tees some where other than my pocket is I always forget to bring them to the tee, haha

My problem I have with putting tees some where other than my pocket is I always forget to bring them to the tee, haha

I did that too when I first stated using them on the Ping bag, then the Clic Gear, which is where I keep them now, right on the handle, very user friendly .... just keep doing it, soon, VERY SOON really, it becomes a habit and you won't forget it. Just part of my routine now :)

I like the ball and tee storage on the Hoofer. I can hold about 500 tees and almost 50 golf balls. Thats a lot!!!

That IS A LOT !!

I usually have about 50-100 tees maybe in the bag, and about 4-6 sleeves of balls. As you might sumize, the cart bag has a lot of storage room left over :)

I like the ball and tee storage on the Hoofer. I can hold about 500 tees and almost 50 golf balls. Thats a lot!!!

Yeah, it's kinda crazy.

A brief comment on durability: the bag is still beautiful, but the leg retention system is slightly less robust than it was a few months ago. The legs hang out slightly while carrying.
That IS A LOT !!

I usually have about 50-100 tees maybe in the bag, and about 4-6 sleeves of balls. As you might sumize, the cart bag has a lot of storage room left over :)

Yeah, it's kinda crazy.

A brief comment on durability: the bag is still beautiful, but the leg retention system is slightly less robust than it was a few months ago. The legs hang out slightly while carrying.

how does the retention system work ?

it has elastic straps that spring back when you lift the bag ?

Would stronger (shorter) straps make it work better ?

Did your old bag do this too ?

Any of the other carry bags seeing this too ?

I carried the 4 Series for 18 holes yesterday in Leawood, KS and the retention system held up perfectly. In fact, I was pretty surprised how sturdy the stand was in the wind. The wind was blowing 10-15 stead with gusts up to 25 mph and the bag never fell over.

The stand is a combination of 2 metal legs that are tied to the bottom of the bag by 2 metal tension rods. As the bag is leaned towards the legs, the pressure rods bend and the legs extend.

2137c809.jpg

177d6150.jpg

I really struggled with the water bottle pocket again, but I am sure that is due to the water bottle I was using (aluminum Sigg bottle). The Sigg is a bit fatter than a basic Aquafina bottle, so it was tough to get out while walking.

I also struggled with the lack of storage because I couldnt store a North Face fleece in the large storage pocket. I needed to bring the jacket because it started off in the mid 50s and the temps were in the low 40s when we finished. So I just ended up tying it around my 4 wood.

Last edited:
DDXU -

Thanks for the pictures and video, big help in my understanding of how the legs and retention system works. Thanks!

Great writeup Omnikey! I'm really interested in hearing how the dividers hold up. I have a 14 club Adidas cart bag and the nylon dividers have shredded.

3 months of use now (avg couple rounds a week plus trips to the practice range), NO, NOTTA, ZERO signs of wear on the dividers.

Also I have not had ANY problems with the dividers or handling the clubs, getting them into or out of the bag.
In one report I talked about, and posted up some pictures where there is a pinch point near the putter well that sometimes pinches the club when removing it from the bag. It pinches down right at the point where the grip starts.

I seemed to have adjusted to this and handle it subconsciously because I don't notice it any longer.

3 months of use now (avg couple rounds a week plus trips to the practice range), NO, NOTTA, ZERO signs of wear on the dividers.

Also I have not had ANY problems with the dividers or handling the clubs, getting them into or out of the bag.
In one report I talked about, and posted up some pictures where there is a pinch point near the putter well that sometimes pinches the club when removing it from the bag. It pinches down right at the point where the grip starts.

I seemed to have adjusted to this and handle it subconsciously because I don't notice it any longer.

Thanks for the update re: wear-and-tear. :cool:

Cannot wait for mine to arrive!

Date: March 5, 2012
Ironhorse Golf Club - Leawood, KS
2012 Ping 4 Series

I cut out of work today so I can play 9 holes during my lunch 'hour' and brought the 4 Series along for the round. When I talked to the guys at the course yesterday, they said the course would be cart paths only, so I knew the 4 Series was going to be put to some good use. When I arrived, it was indeed cart paths only, so that means I dumped out all my extra balls, practice aids, etc and slung it on my back for the quick 9. The weather was windy with temps in the low 50s with no rain. Knowing this, I dressed warm and didn't have a chance to lose the jacket. So no issues today with storage of extra clothes or towels. The 4 Series still amazes me how light it is and how easy it is to carry.

Several consistent trends continued today:
- The hard plastic handle is awesome to use when moving the bag around near the green, tee, bunkers, etc
- The stand still extends and recoils easily without needing "help"
- The 2 carry straps still are plush and thick
- The grips would only jam or bind together if I was in a hurry and hastily shove them in the bag with it already on my back
- The water bottle pocket is still a pain for me, especially in cold weather when you have on several layers and your arms aren't quite as flexible

Something new I noticed today is what I call an 'idiot' zipper hidden inside the large pocket. I accidentally dropped my candy bar down inside the bag when I was walking off #1 tee, so I was prepared to turn the bag upside down and hope I could get the bar out without having to dump my clubs, etc. My playing partner stopped me and told me to look inside the big pocket for a zipper. Sure enough, Ping put one in there for us. I was stoked. With this zipper, I just opened the zipper, moved one grip out of the way and pulled my Snickers right out of the bag. Incredibly easy.

If you haven't gotten anything stuck down your bag before, consider yourself lucky. Usually, I need to pull all the clubs out, turn the bag upside down, jiggle the bag a bit, and hopefully avoid other balls, tees, etc falling from other pockets that may have been left open.

Here's a the idiot zipper:
03e46d68.jpg

Great write up ddxu and cool find on that idiot zipper!

I can't walk and carry so not in the market but just wanted to say that you have done an exceptional job on this review. I have enjoyed reading your well thought and thorough feedback.

Team Hackers tapping!

Great write up ddxu and cool find on that idiot zipper!

I can't walk and carry so not in the market but just wanted to say that you have done an exceptional job on this review. I have enjoyed reading your well thought and thorough feedback.

Team Hackers tapping!

Thanks Cookie, its amazing how many features / amenities I never looked at or considered prior to this bag testing.

Thanks for the update! Great to hear there aren't any problems with the dividers.

Date: March 5, 2012
Ironhorse Golf Club - Leawood, KS
2012 Ping 4 Series

I cut out of work today so I can play 9 holes during my lunch 'hour' and brought the 4 Series along for the round. When I talked to the guys at the course yesterday, they said the course would be cart paths only, so I knew the 4 Series was going to be put to some good use. When I arrived, it was indeed cart paths only, so that means I dumped out all my extra balls, practice aids, etc and slung it on my back for the quick 9. The weather was windy with temps in the low 50s with no rain. Knowing this, I dressed warm and didn't have a chance to lose the jacket. So no issues today with storage of extra clothes or towels. The 4 Series still amazes me how light it is and how easy it is to carry.

Several consistent trends continued today:
- The hard plastic handle is awesome to use when moving the bag around near the green, tee, bunkers, etc
- The stand still extends and recoils easily without needing "help"
- The 2 carry straps still are plush and thick
- The grips would only jam or bind together if I was in a hurry and hastily shove them in the bag with it already on my back
- The water bottle pocket is still a pain for me, especially in cold weather when you have on several layers and your arms aren't quite as flexible

Something new I noticed today is what I call an 'idiot' zipper hidden inside the large pocket. I accidentally dropped my candy bar down inside the bag when I was walking off #1 tee, so I was prepared to turn the bag upside down and hope I could get the bar out without having to dump my clubs, etc. My playing partner stopped me and told me to look inside the big pocket for a zipper. Sure enough, Ping put one in there for us. I was stoked. With this zipper, I just opened the zipper, moved one grip out of the way and pulled my Snickers right out of the bag. Incredibly easy.

If you haven't gotten anything stuck down your bag before, consider yourself lucky. Usually, I need to pull all the clubs out, turn the bag upside down, jiggle the bag a bit, and hopefully avoid other balls, tees, etc falling from other pockets that may have been left open.

Here's a the idiot zipper:

I just found this on my bag. a great idea. I hated when I used to have to tip the entire bag over to get something.

That little zipper is awesome. Never really checked for a feature like that.

That little zipper is awesome. Never really checked for a feature like that.

I just found this on my bag. a great idea. I hated when I used to have to tip the entire bag over to get something.

Amazing isn't it? I swear long term THP Forum testing is the only way the masses get educated on these types of features. That thing would never be found in a traditional mag review.

We are having some awesome weather in Kansas City right now and yesterday I was able to play another round of 18 holes. The Ping 4 Series was in tow for this round and was filled with 15 clubs on the back of a riding golf cart. I had no issues with snagging at all during the round. The bag did 'slip' once when I took a turn too quickly and just need to be 'lifted' back into a 90* position on the back of the cart. Even after slipping the bag was just leaning a bit, probably 75* or so. Since I was riding, I had no issues with water bottle, clothing, or towel storage.

Here are a few pics I snapped before the round. I took several shots so hopefully you can see how accessible the various pockets are on the cart.

5392cd3d.jpg

a9e2af2b-1.jpg

6f09acaf.jpg

Back