Can a driver face be adjusted?

Callaway Girl

Living the Dream
Reaction score
Handicap
I have a stupid question. If a driver has a neutral face, can it be adjusted to one degree open? Or can a draw face be adjusted to open? Thanks.

CG,
No stupid questions. The answer is really "it depends on the driver". IIRC, Most face angles are done by the hosel, and not the face, so that would not work.

I don't think that is a stupid question at all. After I read it, I was wondering too.

CG,
No stupid questions. The answer is really "it depends on the driver". IIRC, Most face angles are done by the hosel, and not the face, so that would not work.

Your right JB. I sorry, I asked the question wrong. The driver in question is a Callaway FT-i.

I do not think that the FT-I would be able to be adjusted. But I may be wrong.

I do not think that the FT-I would be able to be adjusted. But I may be wrong.

Thanks. That would be my luck. Callaway is always difficult.

They have really good customer service, I would give them a call.

They have really good customer service, I would give them a call.

Good idea. I never thought of that. Thanks.

Keep us updated on this one CG, I'm now wondering the same thing. Gummi might have some knowledge on this, I believe he has built clubs before.

Keep us updated on this one CG, I'm now wondering the same thing. Gummi might have some knowledge on this, I believe he has built clubs before.

I will.

THe more I think about this particular driver the more I think this might actually be a possibility. These clubs are virtually without a hosel. I suppose it could be moved in theory to open or close. I may be wrong and I am sure that Gummi Bear would be able to help you. As would the Nickent forum even though this is not a Nickent club. If we still do not have an answer by tomorrow morning, I will call our Tour Van contact at Callaway. Amollerud being a certified fitter could help as well.

THe more I think about this particular driver the more I think this might actually be a possibility. These clubs are virtually without a hosel. I suppose it could be moved in theory to open or close. I may be wrong and I am sure that Gummi Bear would be able to help you. As would the Nickent forum even though this is not a Nickent club. If we still do not have an answer by tomorrow morning, I will call our Tour Van contact at Callaway. Amollerud being a certified fitter could help as well.

Thanks for the help JB.

On a stock driver you cannot change the face angle to draw to fade bias. You can change the lie angle which will effect the ball flight. Good old fashioned lead tape will have the same effect as making a club draw or fade bias, but you cannot go in and get a driver bent to 1* open or closed.

There's your answer.

You can further manipulate the ball flight by where you position the lead tape. For example: put it low and at the back in the center to help get more height on a drive. Move that same tape to the right or left rear edge to create a draw or fade bias.

We see manufacturers making 'adjustable' drivers with the weights you can change out. Aluminum, tungsten and stainless steel are all different weights for the same sized piece, and you can use them in lieu of the tape to create the same results.

Spoke to Callway this morning and this cannot be done. I guess I will purchase a new driver or go to the I-Mix system. Maybe I will wait for the new Nike STR8 Fit. Who knows.

CG,
Both the Str8 and the R9 are amazing drivers. We loved both of them. As much as I like the I-mix system, I do not think they can compare to the other two dollar for dollar. But it is a preference and we have really enjoyed Callaway's line of drivers this year as well.

There's your answer.

You can further manipulate the ball flight by where you position the lead tape. For example: put it low and at the back in the center to help get more height on a drive. Move that same tape to the right or left rear edge to create a draw or fade bias.

We see manufacturers making 'adjustable' drivers with the weights you can change out. Aluminum, tungsten and stainless steel are all different weights for the same sized piece, and you can use them in lieu of the tape to create the same results.

Thanks Gummi for the input. I would prefer a open faced driver. Then I can adjust the shot shape with my swing versus equipment.

CG,
Both the Str8 and the R9 are amazing drivers. We loved both of them. As much as I like the I-mix system, I do not think they can compare to the other two dollar for dollar. But it is a preference and we have really enjoyed Callaway's line of drivers this year as well.

Thanks JB. I will start shopping around for a new driver. I will keep a open mindset and try all brands. Even though I prefer Callaway, I am not limited to using there equipment. I want the best product (Nike, TM, Cally, etc) that will provide me the best results for my game.

For open drivers, The Nickent T-Spec is our pros driver of choice. As well as the R9 and the Str8. Those were his top three.

For open drivers, The Nickent T-Spec is our pros driver of choice. As well as the R9 and the Str8. Those were his top three.

Thanks for the info. I will check out Nickent also.

Back