Cleveland Classic Driver - THP Preview Thread

I think that would be of benefit for me if I can trust it.

I believe the 310 is slightly open on setup, but the 270 and 290 are square. Also, I'm thinking that a grip change may help as well - I'm not a huge fan of the stock Lamkin on these.

I believe the 310 is slightly open on setup, but the 270 and 290 are square. Also, I'm thinking that a grip change may help as well - I'm not a huge fan of the stock Lamkin on these.

A man has to have a good grip on things :thumb:

The 310 does sit open, but it is also a completely different head. It's not a 460cc and not as deep.

Rusty -- So you were a hooker and now your drives are pealing off to the right? I wonder if this driver is square to open on setup?

Like everyone said, the face is square, and I agree with Hawk that it actually looks a little closed to me. I think the fade is coming from the size of this thing. I've never had a 460cc driver head before, and certainly never had such a deep face. I can still hit the ball straight or with a slight draw, but it takes some conscious effort. If I just swing away with this driver the ball will most likely fade.

The 310 does sit open, but it is also a completely different head. It's not a 460cc and not as deep.

All true. I liked the 290 the best. Looks better than the 310 to my eye at address, and the deep face screams confidence.

All true. I liked the 290 the best. Looks better than the 310 to my eye at address, and the deep face screams confidence.

I know it doesn't matter when it comes to what we should all play, but the 290 head seems to be the overwhelming favorite for the Tour guys as well. I like that it comes stock at just over 45 inches too.

I know it doesn't matter when it comes to what we should all play, but the 290 head seems to be the overwhelming favorite for the Tour guys as well. I like that it comes stock at just over 45 inches too.

Hmmm. Very interesting. They are marketing the 310 as the Tour model and it is more expensive. Seems the 290 is the real tour model. HAHAHA

Hmmm. Very interesting. They are marketing the 310 as the Tour model and it is more expensive. Seems the 290 is the real tour model. HAHAHA

The shop I was at has a Cally staffer and a Cleveland staffer. The Cleveland guy was using the 290 with Kusala Blue in one of the x flexes. I can't imagine much better results for me with something other than the 43 Kua. It got my launch up and felt real nice with the head.

The shop I was at has a Cally staffer and a Cleveland staffer. The Cleveland guy was using the 290 with Kusala Blue in one of the x flexes. I can't imagine much better results for me with something other than the 43 Kua. It got my launch up and felt real nice with the head.

Yeah, my LM numbers were so much better with the Classic 290/C Kua 43 S than with the R11/Blur combo it wasn't even fair. I am so excited to game my new Classic this weekend I can hardly stand it.

Hopefully it treats you well on the course, TH.

So, lets do a buy it forward with this thing. A few of us chip in, I get it until my MC gamer arrives and then the others can figure out the rest :) Tmex has tenatively agreed in theory.

Thanks Hawk. I can't wait to hit it on course. The driving range and LM only go so far. I need start hitting fairways with the Classic. My actual Driver should be here tomorrow, I had been hitting demo's.

Today is the day my Classic will be here , 10.5 head with stock C Kua stiff flex shaft. Can't wait to hit it! Of course our weather has been 70 degrees with zero wind and today we are supposed to be getting gusts of 25 mph so we shall see how it goes!

I picked this club at the local golf galaxy... I have never felt a lighter club!. It's not for me, but if you can control it with it being that light, I can see getting some serious swing speed!

Had a decent range session with this and the RAZR Fit. I was seeing very similar distance off of the tee with both drivers (I was getting both past the 200 marker consistently, however something was funky in my swing today and I couldn't seem to finish my turn at the bottom of the swing, so there were quite a few pushes to the left for me today - not necessarily slices (although there were a few of those) but straight pushes. Forgiveness is HUGE in this driver...I was catching the driver high, low, towards the toe, and towards the heel today. Very inconsistent swinging, however the ball would basically lose maybe 5-10 yards off of the tee for me on those misses. It's not a miracle club by any means - you have to put a decent swing on it - however as long as you don't hozel rocket it on the heel or top the ball, the ball will still fly far. I actually produced more distance from the Classic (and the Fit) by teeing the ball lower than I'm used to. I was reluctant at first, especially because of the depth of the Classic's face, however doing so promoted me to hit more down on the ball, which produced better distance and straighter flight.

I do have a gripe, however, about this driver. This is something I've said before, but man, I think I'm strangling this grip. I have relatively thin hands, however I have long fingers. I think that if I had a larger grip (additional wraps of tape, or a midsize grip) I would loosen up my hands and be able to get through the ball better and smoother. Will be looking into a Winn Dri-Tac for the Classic pretty soon.

Horrible day , my Classic didn't come in as expected. Maybe tomorrow...:angry:

JN - you might want to ask around about grips. I know the butt diameter on the Kua shafts can make re-gripping a little trickier. Not that it can't be done, but I know some people have experience.

BW - hope your club finds its way home today.

BW, I really hope you get your club today, and that you have time to go hit it.

I hit the range at lunchtime and did a little experimentation with tee height for the Classic. It stands to reason with such a deep face that you would tee the ball a little higher, so that the ball is peeking over the top of the crown at address. However, during my demo sessions with the club, I found I was getting better contact and more penetrating ball flight using the same tee height I had used with my Titleist 910, so I just refused to raise the tee. Well, my last round I started getting great results from the driver by hitting the ball really high, and then I saw Annika on Golf Channel academy last night talking about teeing the ball up to get a higher flight when the wind is at your back (also to promote a draw). So, I wanted to try some things out.

With the very first shot.......well, all of a sudden I heard that rap song from the Michelle Wie Kia Soul commercail...."Uh oh! Sho' did!".... I also heard those Cleveland Indians fans from the first Major League movie "No, that's too high; too high".

I always wanted to be one of those guys who hit drives through the net at the back of the range.

So, you saw better results with the higher tee?

I hit the range at lunchtime and did a little experimentation with tee height for the Classic. It stands to reason with such a deep face that you would tee the ball a little higher, so that the ball is peeking over the top of the crown at address. However, during my demo sessions with the club, I found I was getting better contact and more penetrating ball flight using the same tee height I had used with my Titleist 910, so I just refused to raise the tee. Well, my last round I started getting great results from the driver by hitting the ball really high, and then I saw Annika on Golf Channel academy last night talking about teeing the ball up to get a higher flight when the wind is at your back (also to promote a draw). So, I wanted to try some things out.

With the very first shot.......well, all of a sudden I heard that rap song from the Michelle Wie Kia Soul commercail...."Uh oh! Sho' did!".... I also heard those Cleveland Indians fans from the first Major League movie "No, that's too high; too high".

I always wanted to be one of those guys who hit drives through the net at the back of the range.

Maybe its just me but Im not sure what all that means :confused2: Sounds like it was better?

So, you saw better results with the higher tee?

Surprisingly better, and sorry if I was too cryptic. Of course I was getting a really high ball flight, which concerned me at first glance, but then the ball just kept sailing. A couple of them hit the net in flight, which I laser measured at 254. Really straight, too.

Remains to be seen if I can pull that off on the course, but I will certainly try.

Very interesting. I forget who's numbers they were, but CG posted a pro's launch monitor stats and the launch angle was like 16°. The ball was a little above the crown?

Now that's some funny stuff right there!! Good reference!!!

Very interesting. I forget who's numbers they were, but CG posted a pro's launch monitor stats and the launch angle was like 16°. The ball was a little above the crown?

If I set the driver on the ground behind the ball, the top of the crown was about equal to the ball's equator. This has been my standard tee height reference point since the days of persimmon drivers, but it just didn't seem right with today's larger heads. Plus, as I have mentioned earlier, I tend to hit my drives really high to begin with, so I was reluctant to add to that height.

Good info, Rusty. I believe JB mentioned teeing the ball a bit higher as well, which makes sense to me. When I hit it the other day, the range tees were higher than I am usually comfortable with, but I was right in the center of the face. Definitely will be worth playing around with when I get this thing.

Back