2012 Bridgestone Golf Ball Forum Review Thread

Has anyone found a ball that they prefer over the other?

Today after my round I strongly decided I dislike the B330 over the B330-S. I don't know why but the feeling off the clubs just don't fit well compared to the S. Maybe it's the spin that I like better.

Mine overall would have to be the B330-S. The B330 is better for long shots, but I love the B330-S around the greens. And short game performance is the most inportant thing to me, so B330-S it is.

I played 18 yesterday in our weekly blitz and used the B330-RX for the round. The temperature was 57* when we started and got up to 68* by time we finished, the wind was in the 5-15 mph range so it was not overly bothersome but you still were aware of it blowing. The course was still somewhat soft from the recent rains.

Driver - 10 of 13 fairways and I was consistently impressed with the distance. The ball was carrying far and straight, I tried to draw the ball 3 times and it moved about 5 to 7 yards right to left each time, the one cut did move left to right but probably only 3 to 4 yards. When I hit it solid I was usually in a comparable position to most of my drives on drier days.

Woods and hybrids - I like the way the ball comes off of both the irons and hybrids and my best shot of the day was with the 4H on one of the par 5s, I was about 20 feet past the pin in 2, even though I missed the eagle putt, it was a tap in birdie, nice reaction between the ball and hybrid.

Irons & wedges - several shots were close to the pin and really did not roll out much at all, the wet conditions may have been a major contributor to this but it was fun seein the ball roll very little after landing. Chipping was spot on most of the time as these balls are very predictible in how far they will roll out on a chip shot.

Putter - I still love the sound this ball makes off of the putter face and can proudly say that I had no 3 putts yesterday and the putter was solid enough that I had nothing worse than a bogey on the card either.

Conclusion - I still am undecided which of the two balls I like the best as they both are very similar in distance and spin, when I buy new balls in a week or so it will be the Bridgestone B330-RX as I can get it in optic yellow and that is not an option for the B330-RXS. I would actually buy a box of each if the RXS came in optic yellow also. I wonder if any other testers are feeling the same as I do about these balls.

You guys are doing a great job, I love reading the reviews. Nice to hear if you guys prefer one ball over the other. Keep up the good work guys.

I know many of you have talked about durability, but would you guys say one ball is more durable than the other? Would you say they are more or less durable than your original gamer?

You guys are doing a great job, I love reading the reviews. Nice to hear if you guys prefer one ball over the other. Keep up the good work guys.

I know many of you have talked about durability, but would you guys say one ball is more durable than the other? Would you say they are more or less durable than your original gamer?

Both of these balls (B330-RX & RXS) are extremely durable, the 1st time I hit a cart path with one myself and 2 of my friends could not find a scuff. Finally when I positioned the sun behind me I was able to see the scuff, but it was still very hard to feel. I have some pictures in the thread several pages back. As I have continued to use the balls they are now starting to show their scuffs pretty well. They are more durable than my previous ball with is the 2011 B330-RX.

Testing Date: 3/8/12
Ball Used: Bridgestone B330RXS
Environment: Sunny, windy (15-20 mph gusting to 25)
Green Tree Golf Course, Mays Landing, NJ

Today I REALLY got a chance to see how the RXS proved in the wind. It was one of the most windy days I've ever played in, and I felt a bit tentative at first, but warmed up at the range and went. The round took FOREVER due to the sheer number of people out golfing today, but I got a good amount of testing done today.

On the Tee:
I played mostly my driver and hybrid off of the tee today, with varying success. One thing I did notice about the RXS versus what I've seen from the RX is that more spin = more sidespin. What I mean by that is that I feel that the RX goes just a touch straighter off of the tee for me than the RXS, which can fade a bit more left (my natural ball flight is a right-to-left fade). I got into trouble off of a couple of the par 3s in the wind with this ball - the ball would balloon a bit and then head seemingly 90 degrees left (undoubtedly the swing is a little out to in, but I really noticed this with the RXS more often than I did with the RX). Off of the driver (I played the RAZR Fit more today because of the lower ball flight into the wind) I compensated by aiming a bit more right than usual, which got me into the fairway quite a bit on this windy day. The ball flight was mid and piercing, but I got a bit less roll out with the RXS than I have in the past with the RX. My drives seemed to cut through the wind nicely as long as I teed it lower and moved the ball into the middle of my stance. Distance wise I couldn't say it was further or shorter than the Q star I usually play due to the changing winds.

Iron Play:
I really enjoy these off of my irons for the most part. I mean for the most part because of today's wind, my higher-launching iron shots were manipulated quite a bit. As said above, I had a little trouble with the RXS off of the par 3 tee shots. I had just enough time to take a couple shots off of one par 3, using an RXS first, and then a Q star: my results were interesting. I found the RXS (with a nearly identical shot) to fade left a bit more in the wind than the Q star. I found it a bit odd, since it was cutting through the wind fairly well off of my driver. My good iron shots were rewarded, however, by the holding power of the RXS: With a lof of the pins near the back of the greens today, I held a lot more greens off of mid and short iron shots than the Q star. I loved the RXS especially when I was playing with the strong wind at my back with it's added spin - I was seeing lots of rollout with the Q star today comparatively.

Short Game:
Chips and pitches with the RXS were, on good strikes, easy to get stopped. One hop and check, with a little bit of dribble roll out. As a result, I had to adjust my targets I was aiming at, setting my landing areas closer to the pin. Once used to that, I started to get the ball close. The q star paled in comparison to the RXS in terms of greenside spin, with the Q star giving the rollout I am used to on my normal chips and pitches. Not that the RXS' added spin is a bad thing....quite the contrary: I very much enjoy it. It's taken some time to get used to, though.

Overall, I really do enjoy the RXS: Decent off of the driver, amazing greenside spin, and great holding power on mid-short irons into the green. I have a feeling I'd love this ball even more had the winds been down, but it was certainly an interesting experience today.

Thanks for the response DD. I love to hear that the 2012 RX is more durable than the 2011 RX because I have been quite pleased with the durability, so better is amazing. Always frustrating when you hit a cart path and ruin a ball, pretty cool to hear that your's survived with hardly a mark.

I have to say that both the RX and the RXS are more durable than the Q Star, which is my gamer. I've found the Q star to show scuffing quicker and more easily than the BStones, and that both the RX and RXS are about equal in durability in my perspective.

Thanks for the response DD. I love to hear that the 2012 RX is more durable than the 2011 RX because I have been quite pleased with the durability, so better is amazing. Always frustrating when you hit a cart path and ruin a ball, pretty cool to hear that your's survived with hardly a mark.

I agree. To be honest, I was very impressed with the 2011 RX durability and still play them since I bought 6 dozen right before the 2012's came out. To think that the 2012's are more durable and play better in the wind is music to my ears.

I agree. To be honest, I was very impressed with the 2011 RX durability and still play them since I bought 6 dozen right before the 2012's came out. To think that the 2012's are more durable and play better in the wind is music to my ears.

I love hearing about the durability. The 2011 ball was plenty durable.

Has anyone found a ball that they prefer over the other?

Today after my round I strongly decided I dislike the B330 over the B330-S. I don't know why but the feeling off the clubs just don't fit well compared to the S. Maybe it's the spin that I like better.

I've bounced back and forth. I think the B330S is a great ball for me, but the B330 just can't be beat when it is windy out.

Test Date: 3/8/12
Ball Used: 2012 Bridgestone B330-RXS
Environment: Mostly Cloudy, 76*, Right ankle in brace

I played a quick 9 this afternoon, and played the 330-RXS again for all 9 holes. I hit 6/7 fairways, and averaged 250yds off the tee. Off the tee this ball is fine, but there is just something about the slightly softer feel of the 330-RX to me that when you hit it solid you can feel it launching off the face. I just do not get that with the RXS. Into the greens and putting this ball performs very well, and I really only notice a difference when I am hitting say 7-iron or longer. We are supposed to get a bunch of rain tomorrow, so it should was in most of the sand on the greens, so I will probably play the 330-RX on Sunday and then the 330-RXS again on Wednesday.

I do think these are more durable than my "current" gamers, Top Flite Gamer V2. The previous TF Gamer was a notorious not durable ball and they fixed a lot of that with the Gamer V2, but it is still a scuffable ball and one cart path and it's pretty much done for. I really like the RX, It's such a great ball and I hope my remaining 4 balls last as long as my first 2 have.

I do think these are more durable than my "current" gamers, Top Flite Gamer V2. The previous TF Gamer was a notorious not durable ball and they fixed a lot of that with the Gamer V2, but it is still a scuffable ball and one cart path and it's pretty much done for. I really like the RX, It's such a great ball and I hope my remaining 4 balls last as long as my first 2 have.

Both the B300 and B330s are both much more durable than the V2. The V2 is surprisingly easy to scuff and peel considering its "hard" surlyn cover.

The last coulple rounds I have really noticed ballooning with the B330S while hitting into the wind. Its the same problem I tend to have with the Penta, Z star, and other high spin balls. I've had no such problems with the B330. But I do seem to be getting increased distance when not into the wind with the 330S. The 330S really seems to help my short game. I think at the end of this testing I won't settle on one ball, I will most likely keep both balls in my bag, the B330 for the windier days, and B330S for the rest of the days. I am still seeing great results with both balls.

I know this is for the new line of RX balls etc but i just bought a box of the E6 as the Bridgestone fitter said it would be better for my fade/push/slice and i played half a round yesterday and so far i've been very impressed. The distance and control of these balls are a lot better than the Pro-V1 that i've been used to playing.

I know this is for the new line of RX balls etc but i just bought a box of the E6 as the Bridgestone fitter said it would be better for my fade/push/slice and i played half a round yesterday and so far i've been very impressed. The distance and control of these balls are a lot better than the Pro-V1 that i've been used to playing.

I agree, I just could not fall in love with the E6 around the greens

Nice reviews JN and chewie, chewie you did a very good short review proving that reviews don't necessarily have to be long to give good information. Good job guys.

They were absolutely the most durable balls i've ever played. I hit several cart paths and way too many trees and the balls showed no effects. If only they'd float i'd never need another ball.............

I really don't have a preference between the two. It depends on the hole which one I will use actually. Sat and Sun will both be 50s, I'll be out both days.

Head to head with current gamer the RX and RXS are not as durable. After every round I have numerous scuffs or shreds from my wedges. I have actually taken one out of play.

Head to head with current gamer the RX and RXS are not as durable. After every round I have numerous scuffs or shreds from my wedges. I have actually taken one out of play.

Freddie: did you ever play the 2011 RX series and able to compare the 2011 & 2012 RX durability?

Great review's and write up's so far everyone! Lots of great info in this thread for sure.

Freddie: did you ever play the 2011 RX series and able to compare the 2011 & 2012 RX durability?

I did and to me there is less durability with the new ball vs the old. I have not seen the same scuffing. I actually have a few in the bag that have a few rounds on them and they still look new or near new. After 9 holes with each of the 2012 version I had via able scuffs and scrapes

I did and to me there is less durability with the new ball vs the old. I have not seen the same scuffing. I actually have a few in the bag that have a few rounds on them and they still look new or near new. After 9 holes with each of the 2012 version I had via able scuffs and scrapes

hmm, I thought someone earlier said the opposite. I thought the 2011 RX was an incredibly durable ball. I hope these are similar

Very interesting. Any chance that the difference in durability that you saw from 2011 to 2012 was due to equipment changes? Maybe you are using something now that is more aggressive at impact?

Alright, so, I stated I had an epiphany with these a while back, well, I wanted to go back and put another couple of rounds on them to make sure I saw what I saw with them before jumping to a conclusion......so.....

Round(s) Played: 4
Date: 2/28/12, 3/1/12, 3/1/12, 3/5/12
Weather: 67-81 Degrees, Clear, Light and Variable Wind

2012 B330/B330-S

Flight: I really think that my swing has gotten alot of rust off of it because I was seeing an even better flight than before and could feel the balls compressing, alot like I've always seen with the RX and the difference was night and day. More penetrating to say the least, yes, the 330 had a lower flight by a scunch that the 330-S but BOTH were a fun flighting for me to watch sail from the tee AND from the fairways and rough. The B330-S was definitely the more springy feeling of the two for me but that's solely a personal feel thing and I fully realize that.

Spin:
Epiphany 1: The B330-S is fun to use around the green. Really fun. With my swing starting to click again the wedge game really shined through, slight roll out with the B330's (better than the RX) but the 330-S were hopping and stopping on approaches and since I'm not a big spin player (and only twice have ever sucked a golf-ball backwards in my life) this was very nice and immediately changed my thoughts on what I was aiming for when I was using the 330-S compared to the B330 or the old RX. The 330-S is not surprisingly the leader here, it is in its design after all.

Distance: Epiphany 2: I was just OK with the distances I was seeing with the 330 and 330-S previously, I even mentioned I was unsure if I was properly compressing them since I am one of those borderline guys as to which ball I should be playing. Well, with the swing getting better, the distance did too. Both the 330 AND 330-S were longer than the RX now, in every round off the tee especially, a big change from my previous findings. The 330-S was typically 4-10 yards longer off the tee and the B330 was about 5-8 longer. Now, I know swing variances play a role here but the 330-S felt better off the tee than the 330 and I think that played a role in being longer sometimes. Strange. More will have to be done to see if this is accurate or just a series of rounds with my swing in a different groove.

Putting:
I love putting with these balls, I really and truly need to get a 2012 RX and see if its the dual dimples all round that play an effect on the roll and me having better controlled lags or its just the 330 and 330-S being better than the RX in that category in general. The 330 was the leader here still though because of the SOUND. I need that click, the 330-S is just a bit too dull for me. I still putt well with both, but its a true mental thing for me. I know I'm weird.

Durability: Both the 330 and 330-S both finally had run-ins with cart paths and did gain some battle scars now, but overall for having as many swings on them as they do, they look pretty good IMO. Nothing I wouldn't expect and they look like you'd think they would with that much golf.

Sadly I did lose two 330-S and one 330 to water holes. Boo. This means I will likely be sucking it up and buying a box of each, unless I can find sleeves.

2011 B330-RX

Flight: Higher than both the 330 and the 330-S in these last 4 rounds. Pretty sure I was over-compressing the ball to cause this.

Spin:
The RX still rolled out more than both the 330 and the 330-S (ESPECIALLY the 330-S). Its predictable so its not bad, but its just not as nice as the other two IMO.

Distance:
My how things change eh? The RX went from longest to shortest. I think this is a true sign I was not compressing the 330 and 330-S previously but with more swings I am now. Since I'm borderline I'm still iffy about if its just a streak of good rounds or not but for the last 4 the RX was dead last off the tee and just barely back of the 330-S off the irons.

Putting
: Simply put, not as easy to lag for me as the 2012's. Like I said, I need to get a 2012 RX and see if its the balls or if the dimples play an effect in it.

Overall thoughts:

These 4 rounds were an eye opener that the last go-arounds I definitely was NOT fully compressing the 330 or 330-S. My curiosity now lies if it was just "good" swig days that let me do so and if it will be a constant occurrance since I'm a "middle-ground" player between the RX's and these. We shall see.

Last edited:
Back