Graphite Iron Shafts vs. Steel Iron Shafts

Doesn't Kuchar and maybe even Sneds use graphite in their irons? I would like to hit some graphite at some point to see how I like them, but right now I'm perfectly happy with steel so I see no reason to change.

Funny enough theirs (Aerotechs) are actually a steel/graphite blend type shaft with the use of the steel fiber. People RAVE about them, but boy are they pricey.

Let me ask, why is it graphite vs steel? Why isnt it shaft vs shaft? Dont you just play what works and not care what it is?

Well I've never hit anything other than what's in my irons. But when I get to the point of looking at new irons, I plan on doing a full-on fitting and finding what shafts are the best for me regardless of steel or graphite. The only reason I put them against each other is because I figured that's the easiest way to distinguish. I figured they were two very different types. I may be wrong, but that was my line of thinking.

Funny enough theirs (Aerotechs) are actually a steel/graphite blend type shaft with the use of the steel fiber. People RAVE about them, but boy are they pricey.

only 40 a shaft NBD

Interesting thread to me because I have always played steel shafts in my irons, but, for TMC, I may very well be going all stock with the Black's and the graphite shafts that come in them. Sometimes it is just good to rep your company with off the shelf answers as opposed to upgrades.

Let me ask, why is it graphite vs steel? Why isnt it shaft vs shaft? Dont you just play what works and not care what it is?

IMO, that's what it should be. People always say "Play what fits your game."

I totally agree with this, but playing devil's advocate ... what if the person feels more confident swing with graphite v. steel (or vice versa)? Or they like the feel of the shaft/head combo, even if there is a better monitor match? While we would like to think objectivity rules the day, the truth is, rarely is objectivity the source of our regular decisions.

Doesn't Kuchar and maybe even Sneds use graphite in their irons? I would like to hit some graphite at some point to see how I like them, but right now I'm perfectly happy with steel so I see no reason to change.

Make it to TMC and you can hit mine, assuming I don't flip flop again.

Some one didn't get the message. Clearly graphite > steel.

Interesting thread to me because I have always played steel shafts in my irons, but, for TMC, I may very well be going all stock with the Black's and the graphite shafts that come in them. Sometimes it is just good to rep your company with off the shelf answers as opposed to upgrades.

But Yorkem the Morgan Cup is a tour experience not an off the shelf experience. Play what you're fit for.

Beast mode from tapatalk

I like your thinking, yorkem. But, I have to say, I dont think you will find a better shaft than the Miyazakis in the Black irons though, such a great combination. Great feel, awesome ball flight. Do it!

But Yorkem the Morgan Cup is a tour experience not an off the shelf experience. Play what you're fit for.

Beast mode from tapatalk

If the stock graphite shaft is as stout as they say it is, it will be fine. And for me, while it is about the tour experience, it is also about repping your sponsor the best way possible, so if I can do that with a stock offering, shouldn't I?

Yes, I did go 1* up...but I went all the way to 120g shaft weight vs 60g graphite

I swing heavier shafts faster at times.... I think it depends on the swing. But I was illustrating you were fit and its not a fact the graphites are not as good. If that makes sense haha.

If the stock graphite shaft is as stout as they say it is, it will be fine. And for me, while it is about the tour experience, it is also about repping your sponsor the best way possible, so if I can do that with a stock offering, shouldn't I?

If that is what you want to do then go for it. I was just pointing it out is all. Whatever you choose will be representing Cleveland and I'm sure you'll do a great job.

Are you still sitting on that thing for your back? Is it helping or what?

Beast mode from tapatalk

Golf is more than ideal launch and smash factor. Ignoring objective data is silly, but if things are close enough hit what feels right.

Well I've never hit anything other than what's in my irons. But when I get to the point of looking at new irons, I plan on doing a full-on fitting and finding what shafts are the best for me regardless of steel or graphite. The only reason I put them against each other is because I figured that's the easiest way to distinguish. I figured they were two very different types. I may be wrong, but that was my line of thinking.

Nah dude not at all. I think choosing a club is very, very personal.

Addressed below lol.

I totally agree with this, but playing devil's advocate ... what if the person feels more confident swing with graphite v. steel (or vice versa)? Or they like the feel of the shaft/head combo, even if there is a better monitor match? While we would like to think objectivity rules the day, the truth is, rarely is objectivity the source of our regular decisions.

I agree, feel and confidence are huge factors! You cant discount.

Some one didn't get the message. Clearly graphite > steel.

LOL

Beast mode from tapatalk

What Kmac is saying is thta you rep your sponsor by embracing the event. I think in order to give the best feedback on the club you need to have that engine (shaft) fine tuned. Without it, chances are you arent going to hit the ball well enough to give a good assessment. If stock works, then stock works. If it doesnt, at least you usually have that option to change.

Golf is more than ideal launch and smash factor. Ignoring objective data is silly, but if things are close enough hit what feels right.

Modus3 ftw!!!!

Nice coloneling Tmex

I'm trying to find something lighter that doesn't feel as crappy as the DGS300. My first thought was graphite. Though lately I have been trying other options as well. Could always use those shaft inserts to absorb the shock anyway if needed.

The Miyazakis feel 100x better than my DG SL S300s.

And as to your questions TC the first reason I looked at graphite was because I needed a higher ball flight, a lighter shaft, and something that would cut down on the impact vibrations. I am 22 and have severe tendinitis in my wrist and shoulder. When I was looking at switching to graphite I go all of the usual BS about "You're too young for graphite" but people just dont think about the fact that for some people (and I am not even going to say just for injuries) a lighter graphite shaft option will improve their game. You cant compare two different iron heads on two different shafts and make the assumption that the shaft is the reason why one is better. I hit the CG Blacks in steel and reg graphite (they didnt have stiff) and I had a similar dispersion but was 10-15 yards longer with the graphite shafts.

I use graphite in my woods all the way down to my 9 iron and soon in my wedges. You could say I switched to graphite just for injuries but the main reason was because I wanted more distance and a higher launch and I am getting just that. I was fit for the DG S300s and told the guy I needed something lighter so I had the DG SL S300s put into my irons...biggest mistake I've ever made when purchasing clubs. Thanks to TMex I put the Miyazaki shafts into my irons and am seeing a higher ball flight with 15 more yards and a much much tighter dispersion.

If you have injuries I would recommend graphite...If you need a higher ball flight I would recommend graphite...If you need something lighter I would recommend graphite.

Nice coloneling Tmex

Thanks, I like LOl as a sentence.

Concept, well put. I think TC is wondering because he has seen some of us swing and is like wtc. Which, in all honesty I could see the question be raised.

I want to try those Aerotech shafts now. I just read a bunch about them and they seem pretty cool.

I want to try those Aerotech shafts now. I just read a bunch about them and they seem pretty cool.

they do seem interesting. Only 5 bucks more than the C-taper shafts

I go to educate for a bit and this thing blows up.

STEEL FTW!!!

I personally think steel is the best option for me. I think if others want to get fitted and graphite gives them the best numbers. That is what should be for them. I guess if you have injuries that need a soft more forgiving shaft, graphite is for you. I just personally feel like steel is the best for the majority of golfers out there and graphite is still a joke. The more expensive graphite is "Tour" serious and I could maybe game that if the numbers are right.

they do seem interesting. Only 5 bucks more than the C-taper shafts

If they dominated for me in terms of numbers and feel and confidence, I would pay that much for them.

I go to educate for a bit and this thing blows up.

STEEL FTW!!!

I personally think steel is the best option for me. I think if others want to get fitted and graphite gives them the best numbers. That is what should be for them. I guess if you have injuries that need a soft more forgiving shaft, graphite is for you. I just personally feel like steel is the best for the majority of golfers out there and graphite is still a joke. The more expensive graphite is "Tour" serious and I could maybe game that if the numbers are right.

The artiest formally known as DMB I reckon youre right about the fit. That should be a factor. Some of the graphite out there is junk but so is some of the steel too. Not all steel shafts are good. DG XP's break at the slightest hint of a divot.

The artiest formally known as DMB I reckon youre right about the fit. That should be a factor. Some of the graphite out there is junk but so is some of the steel too. Not all steel shafts are good. DG XP's break at the slightest hint of a divot.

Stay out of the gym dude!

lol so do Monoco shafts right Tmex?

Back