Never Compromise NXC-RAY

Badger_Golfer

Reaction score
Handicap
Anyone ever tried one of these putters? I picked on up on Ebay last week for $30 and today I had my first round with it. I must admit, its a very interesting putter. To me, it has a very clicky sound and feel to it at impact but once you get used to it, its actually a really easy putter to align and to make putts with.
I really like this putter, its just so different from anything that Ive ever used.

Last edited:
I have been using one all summer. I like it alot. I have the full mallet, and while it isn't a great looking putter, I don't think there is anything out there easier to align. It comes off the face very hot, but doesn't seem to hop at all, has a great roll to it.

I have the Epsilon (plumbers neck mallet) model. It's a great putter and I have no intention of changing it out until I can no longer resist the urge for a milled face blade putter. The NCX-Ray is super easy to align and I really like the feel of it. It's a little different looking, but that's ok.

I had a right handed model that a friend of mine won and gave to me (I don't know why, he knows I'm a lefty). I kept it in my office forever and use to roll it a fair bit. It is clicky, I would agree but it did work. I sold it to a forum member, triplebogeytim, and I know he's been gaming it.

I liked their alignment. Especially the mallet. However after trying their new offerings, I ask what took them so long. The new stuff is so good that they should have skipped the X-Ray line altogether.

Sounds like a deal to me. Never actually played or seen never compromise though

It was easy to align, but it was very weird. It sounded not good to me.

I have the mallet.
Love the looks and it rolls the ball well, but that is all.
No feel (not sure what all that insert tech' is doing, but it ain't feel). And the sound is just distracting; I actually cringe just before the strike.

I liked their alignment. Especially the mallet. However after trying their new offerings, I ask what took them so long. The new stuff is so good that they should have skipped the X-Ray line altogether.
Yeah, they look amazing. Im actually afraid to try one because Im afraid that once I do I wont be able to resist the temptation to buy one.

I have the mallet.
Love the looks and it rolls the ball well, but that is all.
No feel (not sure what all that insert tech' is doing, but it ain't feel). And the sound is just distracting; I actually cringe just before the strike.
I agree. After playing various T.P. Mills, Bettinardis, Ansers, Scotty Camerons and Cleveland Classics the feel and sound of this NC is definetly different.

I used one last year and part of this year. Really like it. It'd be in my bag now if not for the Backstryke performing so well.

I had a right handed model that a friend of mine won and gave to me (I don't know why, he knows I'm a lefty). I kept it in my office forever and use to roll it a fair bit. It is clicky, I would agree but it did work. I sold it to a forum member, triplebogeytim, and I know he's been gaming it.

I'm gaming it now, I would agree it is a bit clicky off the face, but as far as alignment goes I really like it, and it seems to get the ball rolling fairly quickly. Overall I would have to say it's a good putter for the price you paid, it's a great putter. I've gotten used to the sound and it's a very consistent roll and I've been making alot of longer putts with this think....hard to arge with that.

Alignment and weighting good, feel not so good

^^^^^^ I Tapped That ^^^^^^

Ive played a couple rounds with this putter now and Im really starting to like it. Its so easy to align, it has good balance and it really seems like you get the same distance from it even when you miss the center of the clubface.
The ball seems to come off of the clubface a little bit hotter than other putters that Ive used, which allows me to make a slower, smoother swing that is more accurate and easier to control. Im definetly making a lot more longer putts and even the ones I miss are usually easy little tap-ins.
As I said, it is a clicky putter but Im getting used to it and it doesnt bother me as much as it did when I first got it.
Ive also been experimenting with an Odyssey White Hot XG Teron and for me at least, the X-RAY won. The Teron definetly has a softer feel but the ball seems to come off the clubface so dead (Ive never found an elasomer insert putter that Ive liked) that I have to make a much more aggressive stroke to get the distance out of it that I need, which causes me to mishit more often.

Last summer I ended up trading in the X-Ray. I found the face of it to be way too hot and didnt care for the feel of it. I recently score an X-Ray Tau (Ping Anser clone) and Im hoping that it works out a bit better. Ive always putted better with an anser-style putter anyways.

I actually really liked the Tau. It wasnt as hot as the other X-Ray putter than I had. I just couldnt get past the looks of it and it just didnt have the feel that I like because of the insert though. I prefer more classic looking clubs and have never been a big fan of insert putters, so the other day TGW had Cleveland Classic putters on sale for $40 and I bought a CC1.

I picked up one of these for my GF for $25. She had been using a clunky putter that came with a complete set offering and I figured after a year of hitting terrible puts, spending a few bucks on her a new putter wasn't out of line. She hasn't used it yet, but I practiced a bit with it. I am kind of in between on it. It's very clicky sounding, but I really like the alignment and the feel of the putter at takeaway.

I actually rolled one of these the other day too. It does have good alignment, but that sound and feel is just impossible for me to ignore.

I wound up trading mine in today on a SeeMore. My Backstryke is the mallet for me and I doubt the Ray would have ever made it out of the basement again. Solid putter, just have something that suits me better.

Yeah, I hear you guys. I actually kind of liked the Tau but I like my CC1 better. Today I traded in the Tau, a Cleveland Classic 2 and a Mizuno MP-600 in on 5 boxes of Bridgestone E6s. LOL Not sure how long its going to take me to lose that many balls but Im happy with the clubs I currently have, I dont really need any more golf clothes (my girlfriend used to work for Lands' End, so she got me enough polos and khakis to last me a lifetime), Ive got plenty of pairs of golf shoes (Ive 2 and honestly thats 1 more than I really need), I dont see how I couldnt possibly upgrade my golf bag (a Mizuno staff bag is pretty much the ultimate for me), so I figured you can never have too many balls.

I bought one from golfsmith this week for $38. I actually like the clicky sound... I must be the weird guy! I also like how the ball is hot off the face. But I tend to switch putters a lot... we'll see how long it stays in the bag.

Tappin on my Thunderbolt

I bought one from golfsmith this week for $38. I actually like the clicky sound... I must be the weird guy! I also like how the ball is hot off the face. But I tend to switch putters a lot... we'll see how long it stays in the bag.

Tappin on my Thunderbolt
If you like clicky and hot off the face then the X-Ray is right up your alley! Lately Ive been playing putters that are either forged or milled, so Im used to a soft feeling putter. The X-Rays were a pretty radical departure from what I was used to.

Tappin on my Thunderbolt

I kind of liked it as well. It is certainly a different feel and sound, but once you are used to it, it gives good feedback and gets the ball rollling with a quickness. The results just went south for me.

I kind of liked it as well. It is certainly a different feel and sound, but once you are used to it, it gives good feedback and gets the ball rollling with a quickness. The results just went south for me.

The results always eventually go south for me... I think it boils down to operator error, but I'll never admit it because equipment is always replaceable!

Tappin on my Thunderbolt

Sounds like just about every other club for most people. When things go wrong its never a bad ballstriking day or a matter of needing lessons. Its always the club's fault!

Back