Cleveland Classic Driver - THP Preview Thread

I measured the length of the driver after my post and it is 46.5"! Now I know why I am having trouble hitting it consistently... The pro at my course ordered it for me and was able to get it for me a month sooner by ordering it as custom without the grip on it. Could it be they send it uncut when you order it without a grip? He put the grip on it for me when it arrived and also noticed when I was measuring it that Cleveland sent the 46 gram grip that is supposed to go on the 310 instead of the 36 gram that is supposed to go on the 290. I am going to contact Cleveland customer service Monday regarding these issues.

I have regripped 4 c kua shafts to date and could give some tips on it if needed. It is NOT FUN!

Tips would be greatly appreciated. Want to put a New Decade on mine when the heat arrives.

Played my first round with the classic 9* 290/43g stiff shaft combo today in less than optimal conditions ( 46, rain, 15 mph winds). Let me say, I am very happy so far. Hit 9/14 fairways and had some gorgeous drives today. Long drive was 256, but there was no roll to be had as the course was soupy to say the least. The c Kua feels great and I love the deep face of the 290. I actually hit a 9.5* 310 with a 63g stiff on the range, and the 290 performed much better for me. I know without a doubt now that the 290 is the head for me and I am juiced to get more familiar with this beauty in better conditions.

Last edited:
Great first round thoughts Tomahawk. I can't wait to hit this club at the NW outing and hear more of your thoughts.

I measured the length of the driver after my post and it is 46.5"! Now I know why I am having trouble hitting it consistently... The pro at my course ordered it for me and was able to get it for me a month sooner by ordering it as custom without the grip on it. Could it be they send it uncut when you order it without a grip? He put the grip on it for me when it arrived and also noticed when I was measuring it that Cleveland sent the 46 gram grip that is supposed to go on the 310 instead of the 36 gram that is supposed to go on the 290. I am going to contact Cleveland customer service Monday regarding these issues.

Most companies send it uncut if ordered without the grip. They assume that is why the person is ordering it that way.

Im really surprised you are seeing ballooning balls. We have had a lot of people hit this one and everybody seems to be extremely low spin with it. Did you by chance see any spin or ball flight numbers on the good shots?

Just a quick bump on this one, I am really curious.

Just a quick bump on this one, I am really curious.

I have only played it on the course JB so I don't have any numbers from this experience. I hit a demo of the same set up on a launch meter at Edwin Watts when it first came out and the numbers were very good. Gained an average of 3 mph swing speed (98 compared to my normal 95), launch angle averaged 14 degrees and I believe the total spin was averaging about 2400. Carry distance was about 250 on average.

Thanks for the info. regarding the uncut shaft. Wouldn't the extra 1+ inch length add a good bit of swing weight? Guess I will be making a stop in Golfsmith in Atlanta Monday on my way to Charlotte to get it cut down. Probably going with a straight 45" with black and white New Decade.

Can you elaborate on the "ballooning" that you were seeing? Do you mean actual ballooning, where the spin is too much and the ball drops out of the sky without achieving proper distance? Or do you mean you were pushing and slicing it?

Can you elaborate on the "ballooning" that you were seeing? Do you mean actual ballooning, where the spin is too much and the ball drops out of the sky without achieving proper distance? Or do you mean you were pushing and slicing it?

Probably more pushing and slicing due to not being able to get good contact on the club face. Hit several balls off the heal which I never do. My misses have always been off the toe. I believe all of this inconsistency is probably due to the shaft being too long. Towards the end of my round yesterday, I asked to see one of my playing partners new R11S. Put it next to my Classic and the Classic was a good bit longer. I asked him if he ordered it shorter than standard and he didn't. That's prompted me to take tape measure to club when I got home.

Just snuck out to the range today with my Classic.

65*, 10mph tailwind, talk about conditions conducive to BOMBING it....

Anyways, I continue to love the look, feel and forgiveness of this driver. And, without a doubt, today I hit the longest drive I've ever hit at this range. There's a big wooden 300 yard sign 3/4 of the way up a 20 foot hill towards the back of the range. On my best swing of the day (I didn't get quick, let the club lag), I nutted one mid height, maybe a 2 yard draw, that just exploded off the face. It kept going right towards my target (the sign), and instead of hitting the hill somewhere in front of the sign, it cleared it by a good 10 or so yards and disappeared over the hill. Never seen that before. I'm guessing about 315 or 320 yards of carry.

2 swings later, I nut another one, but a little lower flight. Straight as an arrow, right at the sign.... WHACK, right into it on the fly. Could hear it like a gunshot back at the tee. Man, I love this driver. Now if I could just have the discipline to start the downswing slower, I could hit these out on the course a little more often too....

Oh, I also hit another one about 295 carry, the ball mark on the face was a good inch towards the toe. talk about forgiveness!

Dang dude. Nice job!

Dang dude. Nice job!

Thanks, wind definitely a factor, but I've been on this range in 90* temps with a 15mph tailwind and couldn't do what I did today. I'm working hard on consistency now with it. This could be a fantastic year off the tee with this weapon if I really work on it.

You're going to love this driver. The white is a fantastic shaft, but the C. Kua felt every bit as awesome to swing.

I don't like to talk about it. It makes me antsy.

Anyways, I continue to love the look, feel and forgiveness of this driver. And, without a doubt, today I hit the longest drive I've ever hit at this range. There's a big wooden 300 yard sign 3/4 of the way up a 20 foot hill towards the back of the range. On my best swing of the day (I didn't get quick, let the club lag), I nutted one mid height, maybe a 2 yard draw, that just exploded off the face. It kept going right towards my target (the sign), and instead of hitting the hill somewhere in front of the sign, it cleared it by a good 10 or so yards and disappeared over the hill. Never seen that before. I'm guessing about 315 or 320 yards of carry.

2 swings later, I nut another one, but a little lower flight. Straight as an arrow, right at the sign.... WHACK, right into it on the fly. Could hear it like a gunshot back at the tee. Man, I love this driver. Now if I could just have the discipline to start the downswing slower, I could hit these out on the course a little more often too....

Oh, I also hit another one about 295 carry, the ball mark on the face was a good inch towards the toe. talk about forgiveness!

Awesome man!! That is some big yardage!

Really wish the local Dick's would get these in stock.. I have almost pulled the trigger blind multiple times but I really want to hit it first. If they keep stalling I may lose my patience..

Really wish the local Dick's would get these in stock.. I have almost pulled the trigger blind multiple times but I really want to hit it first. If they keep stalling I may lose my patience..

They actually are on backorder at many places until 3/21.

They actually are on backorder at many places until 3/21.

That stinks. I have Kmac'd too many drivers and had them not work out, so I really want a proper fitting the next time I buy. Deals like I've found elsewhere are hard to pass up though.

all the golf courses are cowering in fear not that yuo have found yet another driver to assault them with...well done buddy!

At the beginning of the day on Sunday @ Cadillac Championship, Keegan Bradley was #1 in total driving stats with his Cleveland Classic. Not sure how he finished, but that's pretty impressive.

They have a few guys that are putting up crazy numbers these days.

Got to play again today....I think I'm solving the lag issues I had on Saturday, but today I was making a lot of contact off the toe, and not just with my driver. The Classic really showed through with some great forgiveness, though. Toe shots were starting right and curling back to the middle of the fairway, and then running forever. My average drive today was probably about 240, with a couple that were in the 265-270 range. Only missed 1 fairway with the Classic, so not a bad day driving for someone who was having trouble finding the sweet spot.

Edited to add this: I forgot to add that one guy I was playing with today actually thought my Classic was a persimmon driver. I can only assume he has forgotten what those old drivers looked like, although he was certainly old enough to know. He was a single who joined our 3-some, and it wasn't until I hit a 260 yard drive on the 6th hole that he asked to take a look at my driver. He said he was trying to figure out why I was playing with those fancy Mizuno irons with graphite shafts, but still using an old persimmon driver!

The club is still a big ice breaker on the tee. As I said previously, I almost wish it didn't look so good: I didn't buy it for the looks, and I don't like the pressure of having to prove it plays just as good as it looks.

Last edited:
I have only played it on the course JB so I don't have any numbers from this experience. I hit a demo of the same set up on a launch meter at Edwin Watts when it first came out and the numbers were very good. Gained an average of 3 mph swing speed (98 compared to my normal 95), launch angle averaged 14 degrees and I believe the total spin was averaging about 2400. Carry distance was about 250 on average.

Thanks for the info. regarding the uncut shaft. Wouldn't the extra 1+ inch length add a good bit of swing weight? Guess I will be making a stop in Golfsmith in Atlanta Monday on my way to Charlotte to get it cut down. Probably going with a straight 45" with black and white New Decade.

Took my Classic to Golfsmith last night. The guy measured it at 47". Lopped off 2 inches, put on a new grip and the 45" finished version had a swing weight of D2. Feels very sweet now and ready to rip it! Won't be able to until Friday at the earliest though....

Jeebus! 47'' is absurd. I hope it works out better for you now that it's at 45''. I'm going to order mine for the MC at 44.5''

I can't wait to smash these things at the demo day. I'm really impressed at the reviews this thing is getting.

Jeebus! 47'' is absurd. I hope it works out better for you now that it's at 45''. I'm going to order mine for the MC at 44.5''
What shaft are you going to have in it?

Back