Taylormade R9 Irons

I just spent most of the morning comparing the burner 2.0 against the r9 and my old r7 xd. Frankly, the r7 xd is an amazing set. From 4 iron to pitching wedge it equals or beats both of the other TM sets for distance and forgiveness. However, the r7 xd falls on it's face on anything less than Full shots. The gap and SW are just too clunky.

The burner 2.0 improves this set by adding sleeker scoring irons. The only fault I could find with he 2.0's is that sometimes I would nuke a shot 10-15 yards past the norm. Simply out of the blue. Great irons otherwise.

I think I found my perfect set in the r9's. I had the 4-pw bent 1* strong to match the burners. I left the gap alone at 50* and then bent the sw from 55* to 53*, which takes out 2* of bounce. In this configuration, I was able to match the 2.0's distance while maintaining consistent distances and gaps. The sw also is my favorite club from 90 yards in. It's surprisingly nimble.

Mishits with the r9 are harsher than the others and stock grips are trash. I will definitely regrip and might even try some pro soft inserts to cushion the blow.

Last edited:
Well, I just ordered the R9's earlier today, 4-SW in graphite senior flex. Should be here on Monday or Tuesday, and will continue to update the thread for a while. Wish the days would go by faster till Monday!

The waiting is the hardest part - as goes the song - congrats!

The waiting is the hardest part - as goes the song - congrats!
I know- I have golf practice on Monday, Tuesday, and friday, and a match on Thursday so I will report back after all my rounds. I actually got them open box so they were about $100 off. So a great deal on a great set of irons!

I received my R9's in the mail today from GlobalGolf. They look great and I plan to phase them in over the next week or so. Will take the sand wedge, 9 iron, 7 iron, and 5 iron to the range tomorrow and most likely onto the course to get in some play with them. Excited to see how they do out on the course and will post my thoughts later. Also, in case anyone was wondering, I didn't start in my match earlier today, but will definitely get the start next week after I carded a 47 on 9 with 3 doubles and a triple. Very excited!

Well, I just ordered the R9's earlier today, 4-SW in graphite senior flex. Should be here on Monday or Tuesday, and will continue to update the thread for a while. Wish the days would go by faster till Monday!

Hope you love them. I loved mine. Cannot wait for your update.

I now have had 3 rounds with the R9's, so I figured I would post my thoughts.

Looks: superb looking irons, some of the best looking ever IMO. Still look almost brand new after 3 rounds.

Performance: I am hitting the r9's very solidly, and have gained almost 20 yards per club with them in the bag. Have not played as well as usual with them, but it is because of penalty strokes and the flatstick. Ball flight was also consistently high and much more consistent in general than my old sticks.

Feel: the R9's have great feel to them. I agree with earlier reviews which said you can't tell when you hit a mishit. They have a great sound to them and you can really feel the ball on the face of the club.

On a side note, I holed out from 60 yards away with the sand wedge. Good omens.

God, I wish I had bought these when I bought my irons. They just were not the most accurate for me that day. They felt sooooooo good though. I need to pick up a used set.

Back