Playing portmarnock in dublin

nomadgolf

Reaction score
Handicap
Playing the portmarnock links course in Dublin on wednesday. Super excited. Wondering if any THPer has played here? Any tips or thoughts? Any one in Dublin that wants to let me borrow some golf shoes? Lol. I wasn't planning on playing but my wife said its ok. You think they would let me play in sneakers?

Irishman here, limerick to be exact. Not sure about the lack of golf shoes but the course is fantastic.

Outstanding course. Caught the links bug about 6 years ago and go every year now - this is one of my favorite in all UKI. Vary classic links - play all 27 holes if you can. Really hope to play it again myself. Lots of good golf in the Dublin area if you can make the time. County Louth just a bit north of Dublin that is a real sleeper.

No way you will be left out in sneakers but most courses will have a pair they will loan you. Come down to Cork Dublin is an awful place Cork is way cooler :D

Corkers are very cool - my college buddy (member at County Louth) is getting married there in Cork in May (bachelor party in St Andrews - bummer). I really want to play Old Head!

No way you will be left out in sneakers but most courses will have a pair they will loan you. Come down to Cork Dublin is an awful place Cork is way cooler :D

Where in Cork is he getting married, what hotel is it on in. Why dont you play Old Had after the wedding

Corkers are very cool - my college buddy (member at County Louth) is getting married there in Cork in May (bachelor party in St Andrews - bummer). I really want to play Old Head!

I'm actually skipping the wedding and flying back from St Andrews directly because I had another commitment so I don't have the details - nor the chance to finally play Old Head - bummer

Where in Cork is he getting married, what hotel is it on in. Why dont you play Old Had after the wedding

I'd love to go all over Ireland and play. Unfortunately only here 4 days as it was a free trip I won through work. So far Dublin is cool though. I talked to a concierge lady and she's gonna let me use her husbands golf shoes. Irish people are nice!!!

Make sure you have Guinness (unless you don't drink, of course) - it is better now in teh states than it was many years ago when I was in college, but nothing matches an Extra Cold pint of properly poured (has to settle after a 2/3 pour) Guinness after a round

Ya we're awesome :D glad you got sorted dude. If you get time take a tour of Croke Park its the GAA stadium

I'd love to go all over Ireland and play. Unfortunately only here 4 days as it was a free trip I won through work. So far Dublin is cool though. I talked to a concierge lady and she's gonna let me use her husbands golf shoes. Irish people are nice!!!

I've been here 2 days and I've had at least 10 pints of Guinness!!! It's so good here. I'm quite hungover as I write this but nothing the hotel breakfast Buffet can't fix. Can't wait to have one after my round tomorrow.

A big Irish breakfast will sort you right out. I've been in other countries around Europe and had guinness with some awful results. Guinness does not travel well and people don't usually know how to pour it properly. sounds like your enjoying the trip

I've been here 2 days and I've had at least 10 pints of Guinness!!! It's so good here. I'm quite hungover as I write this but nothing the hotel breakfast Buffet can't fix. Can't wait to have one after my round tomorrow.

Make sure you have the black pudding with your breakfast (right dhjkelly - hehe)

A big Irish breakfast will sort you right out. I've been in other countries around Europe and had guinness with some awful results. Guinness does not travel well and people don't usually know how to pour it properly. sounds like your enjoying the trip

For those who have been, what other courses in the Dublin area would make your top 3 or 4? I have a few days to play in June. Portmarnock is on the list for sure.

I have seen the other usual suspects: Royal Dublin, The Island, European Club (a drive), County Louth, etc.

I'd love to hear some recommendations / past experiences.

Awesome!!!! Played portmarnock hotel and links today and it was so cool. First time playing links golf. First time walking 18 as well. Course was beautiful. Lots of pheasants on the course. Played with rented clubs but they were pretty good. the driver didnt like me so much. Overall it was a wonderful experience even though I shot a 101 ?

Can't leave without at least one full breakfast. Black and White pudding, bacon (Irish bacon is so much better than American) sausage, eggs and tomatoes fried in the bacon grease and brown bread fried in the grease too.

Back