Hmmm....may see if I can "trade" my 10.5 for a 12. What's interesting is they said the 12 is for <130 ball speed and mine is consistently 150 (tested to that all weekend). I know they are generalizing, but makes me wonder how unusual my swing is - just really steep I guess. Sorry all we got off the thread topic a bit here, but appreciate the heads up, Frank.

You should check out this news release from Titleist, on why they started offering a 12' 910D2:
http://www.titleist.com/teamtitleis...ls-line-for-moderate-swing-speed-players.aspx

I badly wanted to buy something else, even hit the Callaway Fit, and I'm an obnoxious Calli fanboy, and I kept coming back to the G20....one thing I REALLY like about Ping, is that they don't hurt you with new products every 6 months. They release new products every two years, so next year, the i20 will still be a new product, and possibly into 2014. How do guys feel that paid $400 for a R11 driver last year, and now they have to watch Justin, Justin, and Dustin tell them 30 times over the course of a weekend that R11S is LONGER, LONGER, BETTER, MORE ADJUSTABLE, after just 9 months when the R11 was the miracle stick? YUCK....are we made of money?

FB

I use a 60* from these yardages, full or half swing or even less, unless the wind is up and then I use a 52 or a 56 with a 1/2 swing or less or sometimes a long chip with as much as a 7 iron, just depending on the situation.

I generally use my 56 from about 50 and in hitting different types of shots. If i am 50-75 I generally use my PW (48) and place it in the back of my stance and try to hit a lower shot as I can generally get quite a bit of spin that way.

I like reading how others hit their shots!

Hmmm....may see if I can "trade" my 10.5 for a 12. What's interesting is they said the 12 is for <130 ball speed and mine is consistently 150 (tested to that all weekend). I know they are generalizing, but makes me wonder how unusual my swing is - just really steep I guess. Sorry all we got off the thread topic a bit here, but appreciate the heads up, Frank.

Well JK, if you want really odd, check this out. I was fitted by Titleist (but i haven't purchased yet ) for a 12' STIFF shaft Kal'i 910D2. I have a very short swing - for most guys probably a 1/2 swing ( shoulder issues ) - with a quick and hard transition, and I normally play a 10.5' stiff shaft. But my swing speed has dropped to around 88-90, and my ball speed is in the high 130's. I got a deal on a R11 12' stiff in February, and it was absolutely a smart decision. I just got a bit more distance ( on the monitor ) with the 910D2. Not sure which way I am going to go at this time...

Great thread, love reading all the different ways people playing these shots. I currently have a 48* and 56* (logic says maybe get a 52*) but I think I just need to practice anyways. If it's a clear run to the green I will probably try and let it run as it's probably easier for me at the moment then lofting it high and seeing what happens :)

That is really nice, MarcH. Perfect. "Let gravity do the work." I'm trying to get that into my daughter's brain. I've been telling her to stay connected and let the weight of the club take care of things.

@cookie: I rarely hit a full 58*. I generally hit a gap wedge from 90 yards not all that differently than what Marc showed, bit I hold the release a little more and try to take it in a little lower if the shot allows. Knockdownish. I can hit a 56* 90 yards but that needs to be well hit and I generally hate to hit the ball that high.

Kevin

I love all the comments that have been posted since I revived the thread, they have got me thinking about different ways to approach this area of difficulty that is causing me headaches right now.

For me it really depends. If the pin is near the front, I'll hit a high 60*, doesn't really bother me to hit it full. If the pin is near the back though, I'll try to hit a 56* or even a low GW to ty to get it to release.

WR gage the shot off your full sand wedge. If a full sandwedge travels 100 then a 3/4 should travel 75. It takes some feel to get a true 3/4 back swing so you will have to practice.
The other thing I like to do is choke down two inches on my sand wedge and give it a nice easy full swing about 80%. It's important that you keep the speed constant or you will lay the sod.
I think the key is to really work on the distance of your swing or the length with constant speed through the ball. Practice my friend and it will come. These short shots will also help you with your long game.

What club to use really depends upon the shot. If theres room to run the ball onto the green, I may take a 7-iron and hit a chip. If its a tight pin or if I need to fly the ball over a bunker and if the lie is fluffy, I will pull out the 60 degree wedge, open up the face and hit a flop shot.
If its a tight lie, I will hit the 54 degree, play the ball back in my stance and take a 3/4 to a half swing.
30-75 yards is a tricky shot. Its all feel and is something that takes some practice to dial in.

I think I am one of the few who enjoy using my 60* for full wedge shots. It is normally my go-to club from inside 100 yards. The only time I play the 50* is when there is a long green with a back pin. I feel confident about a rolling shot vs a high one there.

For me right now, 30-75 yards is a pitch shot with my 54* wedge. I've worked really hard on learning exactly how hard I need to hit each one to get the right distance and am starting to get really confident with those shots. If I feel I have to hit the ball higher than normal because of slop or I'm short sided then I might hit my 58* wedge but that is rare.

I just wanted to say MarcH's comment on using body rotation really helped with these shots yesterday. I am always battling my hands and arms. It's something my instructor had me working on, but I stupidly ignored it.

Back