NASCAR 2012 (Spoilers)

That was a huge freaking fire. My kid looked like me starting at boobies when i cranked up the sound for him last night. Didn't watch much, but I always like to see the cars under the lights.

when they were repairing and cleaning the track she walked over to the nearest restroom. she didnt squat and water the track lol

And she was far from the only driver that did it, just the only one that the cameras chose to follow till she went behind the wall. Wonder why?!

I thought it was cool having the Daytona 500 under the lights. That fire was crazy, I ended up passing out when they were under the caution with like 38 laps to go.

I'm not a NASCAR guy, but tune in from time to time. I hate to say it, but the crashes keep my attention and the regular racing is just boring too me. I'm not saying I want crashes, but those highlights keep me watching from time to time. I'm just glad to hear and see when everyone walks away.

I'm not a NASCAR guy, but tune in from time to time. I hate to say it, but the crashes keep my attention and the regular racing is just boring too me. I'm not saying I want crashes, but those highlights keep me watching from time to time. I'm just glad to hear and see when everyone walks away.

You're the general public and there's nothing wrong with it in my opinion. For the big tracks(Daytona, Talladega) I always watch the last 20 laps cause I know there will be a big wreck and it's something I personally enjoy especially since NASCAR has gotten boring the past few years with Jimmie winning but that's just my opinion.

I'm all for the Daytona 500 being a night race from now on. This was the first race in about two years that I watched from beginning to end.

I used to be a SUPER HARD CORE nascar fan for about 20 years starting with going to nascar races at the nashville speedway in '78.

Nascar started losing me right before they came up with the chase. I still don't like the chase. And I'm a short track guy but almost all short tracks are gone. Then there's the phantom debris cautions, the inconsistency of rules and punishment, etc.

I miss the Winston Cup years. I used to MAKE TIME to watch Bristol, Richmond, Martinsville, etc. But I don't anymore. It's just different for me...I've lost the love of the sport I used to have. Now I'll catch the end of the race IF I remember..otherwise I'll just check the net from time to time to see what's up in nascar.

All this for me, too. I DVR every race now. Most of them are just "meh" and I'll stop fast forwarding at certain parts, yellows, restarts, last 10 laps....and giant balls of FIRE!

I've been watching NASCAR for a long time and that was by far the craziest thing I have ever seen at a race. I used to be a regular at Talladega, so I've seen some crazy things, specially in free parking, LOL.

And she was far from the only driver that did it, just the only one that the cameras chose to follow till she went behind the wall. Wonder why?!

They were hoping she was going for a little stress relief with the giant bull dagger security guard? NTAWWT!

Biffle was a wee bit defensive on his FB/Twitter today, but would not relay what Joonyer was talking to him about while Biff was still in the car. I can hazard a guess, though!

Nascar has no problems with chevy winning 2/3rds of the races in a season but when Ford or Toyota wins lots of races then red flags go up. Like in 2008 when nascar put a special restrictor plate on toyota nationwide cars in 2008.

http://aolsvc.sports.aol.nascar.com/2008/news/headlines/bg/07/23/engine.rule.amendment/index.html

Toyota did nothing wrong....they just built a superior engine. And nascar jumped in to shut it down. I've seen this SO many times over the years. Chevy can win everything in sight and hardly anything is questioned. Big names and teams drive chevy. Yet when another manufacturer wins lots of races nascar suddenly wants to do extensive testing to make sure everything is "fair".

If you love chevy then you see nothing wrong with this. If you like to see other manufacturers win then you see it as the B.S. that it is.

Fortunately this seems to have changed a little bit as more and more fans are pulling for the other manufacturers and drivers. And I think it's lessened because of the economy. Toyota and Ford now bring in a lot of sponsor money to compete with Chevy, and nascar is all about the money. And we now live in the information age whereby fans can call nascar on it.

Another thing: We've seen nascar absolutely destroy smaller teams/owners over VERY SMALL infractions. Yet nascar will give a slap of the hand to habitual cheaters who work for big teams/owners/drivers. The punishment is not fair and balanced. It's always a "judgement call" by nascar whose ruling is absolute.

The one thing I never liked about NASCAR is that it's the only sport that changes rules in the middle of a season, and will do it every year if they want to.

[h=1]NASCAR suspends Johnson's crew chief Knaus for 6 races[/h]Crew chief Chad Knaus was fined $100,000 and suspended six races Wednesday, car chief Ron Malec also was barred for six races, and Johnson was docked 25 points, sending him into this weekend's race last in the Sprint Cup Series standings.

The penalties stem from a failed inspection Feb. 17 at Daytona International Speedway. NASCAR said the No. 48 Chevrolet had illegally modified sheet metal between the roof and the side windows, an area known as the C-posts.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/racing/news/20120229/chad-knaus-jimmie-johnson/#ixzz1no2pXnhX

Nascar has no problems with chevy winning 2/3rds of the races in a season but when Ford or Toyota wins lots of races then red flags go up. Like in 2008 when nascar put a special restrictor plate on toyota nationwide cars in 2008.

http://aolsvc.sports.aol.nascar.com/2008/news/headlines/bg/07/23/engine.rule.amendment/index.html

Toyota did nothing wrong....they just built a superior engine. And nascar jumped in to shut it down. I've seen this SO many times over the years. Chevy can win everything in sight and hardly anything is questioned. Big names and teams drive chevy. Yet when another manufacturer wins lots of races nascar suddenly wants to do extensive testing to make sure everything is "fair".

If you love chevy then you see nothing wrong with this. If you like to see other manufacturers win then you see it as the B.S. that it is.

Fortunately this seems to have changed a little bit as more and more fans are pulling for the other manufacturers and drivers. And I think it's lessened because of the economy. Toyota and Ford now bring in a lot of sponsor money to compete with Chevy, and nascar is all about the money. And we now live in the information age whereby fans can call nascar on it.

Another thing: We've seen nascar absolutely destroy smaller teams/owners over VERY SMALL infractions. Yet nascar will give a slap of the hand to habitual cheaters who work for big teams/owners/drivers. The punishment is not fair and balanced. It's always a "judgement call" by nascar whose ruling is absolute.

Ahem...

NASCAR suspends Johnson's crew chief Knaus for 6 races

Crew chief Chad Knaus was fined $100,000 and suspended six races Wednesday, car chief Ron Malec also was barred for six races, and Johnson was docked 25 points, sending him into this weekend's race last in the Sprint Cup Series standings.

The penalties stem from a failed inspection Feb. 17 at Daytona International Speedway. NASCAR said the No. 48 Chevrolet had illegally modified sheet metal between the roof and the side windows, an area known as the C-posts.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/racing/news/20120229/chad-knaus-jimmie-johnson/#ixzz1no2pXnhX

[h=1]NASCAR suspends Johnson's crew chief Knaus for 6 races[/h]Crew chief Chad Knaus was fined $100,000 and suspended six races Wednesday, car chief Ron Malec also was barred for six races, and Johnson was docked 25 points, sending him into this weekend's race last in the Sprint Cup Series standings.

I think any points that a racer gets docked during the first 26 races should be deducted from their points when the Chase starts. Johnson is still an odds-on favorite to make the chase, and the way it is now, this deduction will mean absolutely nothing when the Chase starts.

I think any points that a racer gets docked during the first 26 races should be deducted from their points when the Chase starts. Johnson is still an odds-on favorite to make the chase, and the way it is now, this deduction will mean absolutely nothing when the Chase starts.

That seems like a good idea at first glance, but you're really punishing people for being good.

It seems like a long suspension, it could get knocked down on appeal.

I have to say, massaging an esoteric body part like a C pillar has a mad genius quality that is really in the best tradition of NASCAR cheating. Apparently, the car has been that way since late last year.

That seems like a good idea at first glance, but you're really punishing people for being good.

It seems like a long suspension, it could get knocked down on appeal.

I have to say, massaging an esoteric body part like a C pillar has a mad genius quality that is really in the best tradition of NASCAR cheating. Apparently, the car has been that way since late last year.
Not really. Before the Chase, any penalties stayed on for the whole season. Now it's a clean slate. Which I actually think is a joke.

Not really. Before the Chase, any penalties stayed on for the whole season. Now it's a clean slate. Which I actually think is a joke.

But in the context of the season in progress you're punishing the 48 much more than you would be punishing some midpacker like Bobby Labonte.

If it was football and your starting QB picked up a 2 game suspension in October, it wouldn't work to have him serve one of the games in the playoffs.

And yes, the Chase sucks. So does it's doppelganger on the PGA.

But in the context of the season in progress you're punishing the 48 much more than you would be punishing some midpacker like Bobby Labonte.

If it was football and your starting QB picked up a 2 game suspension in October, it wouldn't work to have him serve one of the games in the playoffs.

And yes, the Chase sucks. So does it's doppelganger on the PGA.
Nope, just punishing anyone who gets penalized. Whether it's Johnson or Junior or Stewart.

I think we'll have to see how this plays out. I agree that the penalty will very probably not effect his ability to make the chase. The team is just too good to miss the chase. But, 25 points should make a difference in where he starts in the chase standings. Perhaps, four or five spots. That is hard to make up unless you have a Smoke-like chase like last year. What bothers me more is that this is not Chad's first offense. Although I admire him and the whole 48 team, I think 6 races for him and 25 points for Jimmy is just a slap on the hand.

Pretty much the craziest Daytona 500 Ive ever seen. I mean, seriously, who crashes into a jet dryer??? Good win for Kenseth. Its nice to see him bounce back after some of the bad luck that he's had lately. I kind of feel like Kenseth doesnt get the respect that he deserves. He's won a championship and a couple Daytona 500s right now, yet when people talk about the elite drivers it seems like he's almost never near the top of that list.

Nope, just punishing anyone who gets penalized. Whether it's Johnson or Junior or Stewart.
Johnson should get penalized more for being a repeat offender.

This whole thing with the 48? Smoke and mirrors. Nascar got a black eye with the 'dega video coming out. They didn't like that. This makes it look like they are cracking down on the 48. It's always a show with nascar.

People thought when nascar stopped all the endless testing that THAT would help the smaller teams. NO. It helped the big teams who had all the testing equipment. Especially at a time when nascar forced the COT early on the teams before the new car was ready.

Looks like Joonyer has a good car today, if he can avoid doing something stupid in the pits he should be all right.

Nice to see Danica get a decent finish yesterday. That had to be a huge distraction for her.

This whole thing with the 48? Smoke and mirrors. Nascar got a black eye with the 'dega video coming out. They didn't like that. This makes it look like they are cracking down on the 48. It's always a show with nascar.

People thought when nascar stopped all the endless testing that THAT would help the smaller teams. NO. It helped the big teams who had all the testing equipment. Especially at a time when nascar forced the COT early on the teams before the new car was ready.
What Dega video are you talking about? I must have missed it.

What Dega video are you talking about? I must have missed it.

I'm guessing he's talking about the audio where Knaus tells JJ to 'Crack the back' of the car before he goes to the winner circle?

http://msn.foxsports.com/nascar/sto...Knaus-Team-48-win-appeal-of-Daytona-penalties

CONCORD, N.C. NASCAR's chief appellate officer overturned the six-race suspension of five-time championship winning crew chief Chad Knaus on Tuesday. Chief appellate officer John Middlebrook ruled that Knaus and car chief Ron Malec, who also was suspended six races, instead will be on probation through May 9. The $100,000 fine levied by NASCAR stands.

''It's been a tough 30 days,'' Knaus said. ''It's not about vindication. It's time to move on.''

Last week a three-member appeals committee had upheld the suspensions imposed after the car Knaus presented on opening day of the Daytona 500 failed inspection. NASCAR said the sheet metal between the roof and the side windows had been illegally modified on Jimmie Johnson's car. Team owner Rick Hendrick said he was confident the team was ''clearly within the rulebook.''

''There was no ill intent on our part,'' Hendrick said. ''We felt by the rulebook we were approved. By the rulebook the car was legal.''

Johnson also was docked 25 points, which will be restored. Middlebrook retired in 2008 after 49 years with General Motors, and is paid $1 a year by NASCAR to be the chief appellate officer.

Back