2012 Callaway Forged Wedges

My first thoughts were of how beautiful these things are. The feel is really really solid, with just the right amount of feedback. My ball flight was very acceptable and the ball seemed to be spinning very nicely. I really loved the 51 and the 55. The 59 is going to take a little getting used to as the bounce is different from my last 60* wedge.

The other thing I would like to mention is the feel. This was the first set of forged wedges I have hit and they did not disappoint. They felt much more smooth on well struck shots. I know that is an odd word, but I feel like it fits the feeling the best. I can't wait to start really utilizing these and to start to dial them in distance wise. The distances seemed very comparable to my wedge set up from last year.

Nice video, ghsace.

Nice video, ghsace.

Thanks man! I was really excited that I got to get out to test them. It has been hard to look at them in the bag for a week haha.

Nice Pics and intial thoughts Hanks.

ghsace, nice video....love the sound....nice a crisp

I got out and played an executive course nearby this afternoon.....9 holes, 2 short par 4's and 7 par 3's....so I got to hit alot of wedges and they didnt disappoint!! I holed out from about 15 yards with the 54* for a birdie.....hit several really close shots...really love the way these feel and the C-grind is fantastic....my first wedges with C-grinds and I love them.

These wedges and pure....I was able to hit them and make them release or stop them on a dime...I love the control!

These are my first wedges with a c-grind and I'm interested in seeing how they react when I get to the short game.

Sent from someone else's iPhone using Tapatalk

They make it so easy to open the face up and really add loft to the club if you need to!

And what happened to your unboxing video??

They make it so easy to open the face up and really add loft to the club if you need to!

And what happened to your unboxing video??
I don't know, my youtube is all screw up and I think I'm done with them. I was going to play today but couldnt so I might be able to check on this c-grind tomorrow.

Another thought I had that I didn't mention: I felt like I had a little more turf interaction with the 59* than I would have liked. However, it was probably me being rusty and the difference in bounce.

Callaway is awesome. I didn't mention it earlier but Callaway accidentally sent me a 58* wedge instead of a 60*, so PMed GG to see if I could swap it. If not it was no big deal, they are far too kind already for all they do for us. GG contact them, and before she even contacted me back the UPS guy showed up yesterday with a package. They overnighted me the correct wedge! Best customer service ever! Big props to Callaway!

I think I want a dark chrome one of these. 56* to be precise. They just look so good. It's unreal.

Callaway is awesome. I didn't mention it earlier but Callaway accidentally sent me a 58* wedge instead of a 60*, so PMed GG to see if I could swap it. If not it was no big deal, they are far too kind already for all they do for us. GG contact them, and before she even contacted me back the UPS guy showed up yesterday with a package. They overnighted me the correct wedge! Best customer service ever! Big props to Callaway!

Man that is amazing to hear. I am loving this company more and more.

Thats great customer service and big props to Callaway. I have to admit when I looked at the custom form and it said everything that was to do with the wedges, it didn't say that they bent them all 2* strong, but who was I to doubt the great people at Callaway? I had the lofts and lies checked yesterday and they were perfect!!!! I shouldn't have even checked, but it would have always been in the back of my mind.

Callaway CS has always been top notch. Hit these again last night. I may have to shorten these a bit as they just feel very long to me. Was struggling with my pitches last night. Worked on the basics of stance and grip and by the end I was covering the flag with my pitches. I am loving the grind on these. I just have a lot of confidence that I won't be hitting any fatties which is always a problem for me on short shots. The scuff makes me sad

Awesome Tim....how do you feel about potentially having a big gap between your GW and PW? I used to go with a 50, 54, 58 set up but found at times the 8* between the PW and GW would put me in a weird spot.

Nice Pics and intial thoughts Hanks.

ghsace, nice video....love the sound....nice a crisp

I got out and played an executive course nearby this afternoon.....9 holes, 2 short par 4's and 7 par 3's....so I got to hit alot of wedges and they didnt disappoint!! I holed out from about 15 yards with the 54* for a birdie.....hit several really close shots...really love the way these feel and the C-grind is fantastic....my first wedges with C-grinds and I love them.

These wedges and pure....I was able to hit them and make them release or stop them on a dime...I love the control!

Callaway CS has always been top notch. Hit these again last night. I may have to shorten these a bit as they just feel very long to me. Was struggling with my pitches last night. Worked on the basics of stance and grip and by the end I was covering the flag with my pitches. I am loving the grind on these. I just have a lot of confidence that I won't be hitting any fatties which is always a problem for me on short shots. The scuff makes me sad

I think the standard for Callaway is .25 inches longer than most companies. I could be wrong though.

Awesome Tim....how do you feel about potentially having a big gap between your GW and PW? I used to go with a 50, 54, 58 set up but found at times the 8* between the PW and GW would put me in a weird spot.

When I looked at my gaps I saw that the PW for most sets was at 44* and the AW was at 49*...since I am already used to hitting a 50* GW, I decided that having a wedge that I was already comfortable with the distance was worth losing that 1* of loft.

Not to mention that I play my 50*, delofted a few degrees for alot of shots anyway.

Does that make sense?

Really glad you guys are enjoying these and sharing your feedback on them.

sure does, thanks dude

When I looked at my gaps I saw that the PW for most sets was at 44* and the AW was at 49*...since I am already used to hitting a 50* GW, I decided that having a wedge that I was already comfortable with the distance was worth losing that 1* of loft.

Not to mention that I play my 50*, delofted a few degrees for alot of shots anyway.

Does that make sense?

Went to the range today over my lunch hour just to go to the short game area and hit some chips and pitches with my sessy Callaway Forged wedges. These are my first wedges with a c-grind and I have to say I came away impressed.

I started with the 58* wedge and hit some short and midrange chips and right off the bat it was easy to hit the shot that I wanted to. The only thing I had to get used to was the added bite these wedges have over my previous wedges which shocked me since these are the new grooves. I then opened up the face a bit and hit some short pitches, this was really the first time I've hit a shot with the wedges using the c-grind and on first glance it does exactly what its supposed to. Very easy to hit some flops and short pitches and you can get the ball to hop and stop quickly, like very quickly.

I was loving the 58* so much that I really stopped paying attention to time and realized that a half hour had past and I hadn't hit any of my other wedges. I grabbed the 54* and started hitting some midrange and short chips, this club is easy to hit, and very consistent. The bite these wedges put on the ball is really surprising and when using a urethane covered ball it takes a good bite out of the cover when you're hitting pitches, which is what I was hitting next. With a few exceptions I like to hit the majority of my pitches with my 54* wedge and this will remain the same with this wedge set. Chipping to the green from 20, 40 and 60 yards I could get the ball to hit, hop and stop, and in a few cases where I caught them perfectly the ball even came back a little which I don't do very often, maybe I've just been playing the wrong wedges.

At this point I ran out of time and I had to go to a meeting but my first real practice with these wedges was a huge success. They are incredibly easy to play all your short game shots with and I think a lot of this has to do with the weighting of the club which really feels head heavy to me and I feel like I can just lay the club down on the ball.

Went to the range today over my lunch hour just to go to the short game area and hit some chips and pitches with my sessy Callaway Forged wedges. These are my first wedges with a c-grind and I have to say I came away impressed.

I started with the 58* wedge and hit some short and midrange chips and right off the bat it was easy to hit the shot that I wanted to. The only thing I had to get used to was the added bite these wedges have over my previous wedges which shocked me since these are the new grooves. I then opened up the face a bit and hit some short pitches, this was really the first time I've hit a shot with the wedges using the c-grind and on first glance it does exactly what its supposed to. Very easy to hit some flops and short pitches and you can get the ball to hop and stop quickly, like very quickly.

I was loving the 58* so much that I really stopped paying attention to time and realized that a half hour had past and I hadn't hit any of my other wedges. I grabbed the 54* and started hitting some midrange and short chips, this club is easy to hit, and very consistent. The bite these wedges put on the ball is really surprising and when using a urethane covered ball it takes a good bite out of the cover when you're hitting pitches, which is what I was hitting next. With a few exceptions I like to hit the majority of my pitches with my 54* wedge and this will remain the same with this wedge set. Chipping to the green from 20, 40 and 60 yards I could get the ball to hit, hop and stop, and in a few cases where I caught them perfectly the ball even came back a little which I don't do very often, maybe I've just been playing the wrong wedges.

At this point I ran out of time and I had to go to a meeting but my first real practice with these wedges was a huge success. They are incredibly easy to play all your short game shots with and I think a lot of this has to do with the weighting of the club which really feels head heavy to me and I feel like I can just lay the club down on the ball.

Nice write up and thoughts CB. Glad you love them too!

Great to hear CB! I have been spending time with these on my lunch break every day and I have noticed quite a bit of spin as well. I have never used to wedge with the new grooves yet. Thanks for you thoughts glad to hear you are liking them. I think it seems like there isn't a single one of us that doesnt absolutely love these!

Great to hear CB! I have been spending time with these on my lunch break every day and I have noticed quite a bit of spin as well. I have never used to wedge with the new grooves yet. Thanks for you thoughts glad to hear you are liking them. I think it seems like there isn't a single one of us that doesnt absolutely love these!

They are pretty versatile and easy to use, not to mention awesome looking. I'm going ot for a round tomorrow so that will be their first true test.

Sent from someone else's iPhone using Tapatalk

Versatility is the biggest thing I have noticed with these. No matter what they lie there is no worry that you won't be able to hit a good shot out of it.

I got a better look at these today and even saw the one I have my eye on: a lefty 56*. The dark chrome looks so great, though the face looks like it may glare a bit. The sole is really nice and seems like it would be really useful from lots of different lies and lots of different shots. I was really impressed overall. I may have bought it if it wasn't upcharged a ton.

Back