Thoughts on my career low round

TripleBogieTim

Long lost sheep
Reaction score
Handicap
my swing
For those that didn't see it in the "what did you shoot today" thread, I went HAM yesterday and when the dust settled and the scores were added up I had shot a career low 1 over par 73 at my home course!

Now for somebody that had only broken 80 twice in my life, both times shooting 79, this was a complete suprise and more than likely a total fluke, but I do have some thoughts about how this was possible.

1st off, I putted out of this world, dropping several long "bombs" including a 45 footer that if the hole hadn't gotten in the way would have been 10 feet past the hole....to shoot a round like this you gotta get lucky with the flatstick!

But the main thing that I attribute to this anomaly was the fact that on the second hole it was obvious that my back was hurting me, so in order to not kill myself, I made the consious effort to "club up" and swing easier on every shot. If I was 160 out instead of hitting a hard 7, I smoothed a 6...heck on the #1 handicap hole on the course I hit a 190 yard 5W to the center of the green. The result was I didnt hit a single "thin" or "fat" iron shot all day!?! Every single shot was straight online and on the back nine I hit every green in regulation!!

The other thing was, with the exeception of the first hole, I didn't hit 3W for my second shot on any par 5.....yep that's right....instead of knocking the crap out of a 3W and trying to get as close to the green as possible, I played from green backwards....hitting layups to get me in the 90-80 yard range so I could hit wedges into the green.....yes I actually "layed up to a number"!! Who would have thunk that stuff actually worked!! I usually am the kind to bang my 3W as far as I can towards the hole, but usually end up in bunkers or OOB or in the H2O at least once or twice a round because of it.....not yesterday.

Like I said, I am sure this was just a run of incredible luck, I mean we all know guys that have had rounds where they played "WAY OVER THEIR HEADS", and I am sure that this will turn out to be one of those, but that doesn't mean you and I can't both take some valuable lessons away from my good fortune.

1. Play within yourself....just because you CAN hit a 170 yard 7 iron doesn't mean you need to, especially when you can control a 170 yard 6 iron or even a 5 iron for that matter. All of us are way too guilty of playing every shot to our MAX yardages not our comfortable yardages and that's what causes pulls, thins and fatties.

2. If you cant get to a hole with a comfortable shot, then lay up to a number....we all struggle with this one....260 yards out on a par 5 and try to hit a "once in a lifetime" 3W..even though our drive only went 250, when we should be taking a 6 iron and smooth swinging it and leaving ourselves 80-100 yards for a nice comfortable wedge into the green. I have struggled with this my whole golfing career..and I am sure that there will be days when I will again, because our nature wants us to go for the hero shot...and that brings me to my final point.

3. No Hero shots! When you make a mistake, dont compound it by trying to pull off the miracle "Tiger or Phil" shot, take your medicine and put the ball back into play. A bogey is far better than double or triple or a dreaded "other" I did this twice yesterday and I think it was because I was playing match play with my buddies that are better than me that it even came up....normally I would have tried the "hero shot" and probably made double or worse, which can "snowball" to the next several holes. Because I was playing match play, every hole was important to me so I pitched out....I made bogey a couple of times, but once thanks to a perfect wedge shot and a long putt I even managed to save par...so play the smart shot, you can thank me later.

So, there you have it.....do I think I will go out and shoot a low 70 again....doubtful, at least not anytime soon, but I now know it's in me somewhere. I am sure I will go back to shooting 80's and 90's, but I learned alot from it and by putting my thoughts into words, I hope you can too!

Tim - I missed this yesterday in the "What did you shoot today" thread. So, for starters: CONGRATULATIONS!! I am stoked for you man. Home course or not, it takes very solid golf to shoot in the 70's, much less 73.

I think your post sums up course management. Solid course management, well struck golf shots, great putting, and you have a 13 shooting a 73. Nice to see course management and hard work paying off. Way to go man.

congrats on the round, reading your #2 reminded me of something yesterday

#9, I was about 250 out, tight shot into the green. After starting off good, then faltering, I figured who cares, go for it in 2. But as I was walking to the ball, I said to myself, theres like a 5% chance I hit this onto the green, why torture yourself.

So I hit a 5I instead, ended up a easy wedge into the green that I stuck, and had a 5 foot birdie putt that I made. I bet the odds of me pulling a eagle out of my rear with a carerr 3W were less than 1%. Who am I kidding lol

Congrats on the awesome round !!

congrats on the round, reading your #2 reminded me of something yesterday

#9, I was about 250 out, tight shot into the green. After starting off good, then faltering, I figured who cares, go for it in 2. But as I was walking to the ball, I said to myself, theres like a 5% chance I hit this onto the green, why torture yourself.

So I hit a 5I instead, ended up a easy wedge into the green that I stuck, and had a 5 foot birdie putt that I made. I bet the odds of me pulling a eagle out of my rear with a carerr 3W were less than 1%. Who am I kidding lol

Congrats on the awesome round !!

Thanks, I appreciate it...I am still floating...LOL

Your #9 hole proves my point exactly....you layed up and made birdie....the chance of making eagle 1% or less...what do you think the chances of trying to "jump on a 3W" getting you in trouble and you making bogey or worse were?? By playing smart, the worse you probably make is par.....nothing wrong with par right?

Tim first off congrats on the round, fluke or no fluke you still carded a great round and that is awesome. And thanks for sharing the thoughts. I agree with all of them. I did not see the what did you shoot thread post, how many putts did you end up with total for the round?

Last edited:
wow, nice round Tim. I wouldn't count putting 18 good holes together as a fluke.

You learned something incredibly valuable out there. Deep down we know it, but it's so difficult to convince yourself to play safely. Especially if you've come out with a double bogey or similar on the 1st, you'll push harder and end up worse off!

Hey TBT congrats on the career low. Great shooting.

Sorry about the sore back but you certainly used it to your advantage with some smart play. I go to the course thinking hit more irons for control but the old ego creeps in and I hit shots like the ones you avoided. I must play within myself. I have promised myself the my next round I am going to follow some of your strategies so hopefully i will see some improvement.

I hope you have another career round next time out. Thanks for the insight.

TapAhoy!

Congrat's TBT on the career low.
1,2,3, sums up good course management and realistic thinking.
Now get out there and repeat as often as possible. 1.2.3

Thanks, I appreciate it...I am still floating...LOL

Your #9 hole proves my point exactly....you layed up and made birdie....the chance of making eagle 1% or less...what do you think the chances of trying to "jump on a 3W" getting you in trouble and you making bogey or worse were?? By playing smart, the worse you probably make is par.....nothing wrong with par right?

exactly, par is never bad when you play like me LOL....congrats again!

Nice job TBT! That gives me some major hope to getting in to the 70s like you. I just need to start taking my medicine when things start to go south.

Tim first off congrats on the round, fluke or no fluke you still carded a great round and that is awesome. And thanks for sharing the thoughts. I agree with all of them. I did see the what did you shoot post, how many putts did you end up with total for the round?

Thanks bro....I had 32 putts for the round so it wasn't a career putting day or anything....I had a 3 putt bogey and 5 1 putts...4 for birdie and 1 to save bogey out of a bunker....that last one probably saved my whole round actually...it was on the 4th hole a par 5...I missed the only fairway of the round by hitting my drive into really heavy rough next to a creek....hit a wedge out...layed up to about 90 yards...flew the ball just short into a bunker....splashed out a wedge and made a 25 footer for bogey...that hole could have ended up a double or triple and maybe killed my attitude and ruined the whole round.

Congratulations on the 73. It reminds me of a few years ago when I first shot 72. I made a lot of fluke shots, a chip in, a missed shot that rolled up next to the pin, a 50-60 foot putt. But since then, I have shot par or better quiet a few times...you gotta start somewhere.

You touch on one giant step forward, which is not trying to hit everything as far as you can. I took 3W out of the bag for a long time and now try never to hit a club that I'm not comfortable with. Instead of trying to pull off the heroic shot, I take my medicine and hit something with a high percentage of success. Do all that and work on putting, putting is the most overlooked skill, and you will be shooting plenty more 73s or better now that you know it is attainable.

Well done Tim and great little write up!

Congrats on the PB TBT nice going. Those are some very solid thoughts and everyone here would benefit from following them. Nice post buddy.

TBT, this is awesome. Really stoked for you. It sounds like you have a solid gameplay for the rest of the season. If you stick to the tips you posted I bet there is another 73 in there and maybe some 74-76 scores there too. In my past few rounds I have started to play to a number, usually 120 and more times than not I'm at least making pars. Again congrats on the awesome round!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Wow Tim! 73 is incredible. Congrats dude

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk

Reminds me of something I worked out this winter which has changed my approach to the game - we had a temporary artificial tee on a par 4, making it ~280 yds downhill so it was driveable. Its a hard hole though - with walled OOB all the way left, you have to drive over the OOB area to the fairway, and the green pretty much hidden too. Of the dozens of attempts to play the hole - by best 2 were 7I, 52*... All the other attempts were driver/long iron for the green. The first two were 2 birdies, the others were a mixture of lost balls + OOBs, clutch pars, bogeys and doubles...

Congrats on the great round TBT !

Your 3 thoughts on your post are almost exactly what I started doing last year and it helped me drop my hdcp considerably.
Thanks for sharing and again, congrats on the score.

Just wanted to say CONGRATS!!!! on that round, one day I hope to break 80 and make it consistant, although I know how tough that is, but to just be around that range would be fine for me,,again CONGRATS!!! on the career round Tim.

Tim, thats awesome bro! Congrats on the round. You officially need a Tmex HDCP. i have had a round like your speaking of and for some reason I cant find it again. haha.

Congrats again Tim! Nice little write-up too.

Congrates! That's a good score, now time for a new goal.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk

Tim's Career Best Round!

Tim's Career Best Round!

Great round Tim :clapp::blob::banana::golf2::guitar::thumb:. Now you know how to do it, this summer should be a real treat for ya buddy!

Stoked for your round Tim! Thats awesome and those are some great tips! I'm sure you'll continue to shoot some low scores now that you have that mindset and know that its not all about hitting hero shots and hitting the ball as far as you can all the time. Keep up the great preparation and hard work, it is definitely going to pay off for you in July

Back