Morgan Cup - Preparation Thread

Thanks, Gray. Hoping that having access to the range to really work on things I've learned in my lessons will pull things together. I'm still hitting some shots how I want, but my miss right now is ugly and gets my into big trouble.

I'm sure that range time will really help you out dude. I'm excited that the range at my course is finally open now too. I'm ready to put some extra reps into some things I have been working on. Everything is coming together really well except for a few shots where I am coming over the top a little, which happens mostly on my drives. The weather is definitely changing though Hawk, I'm lookin forward to teeing it up with you sometime this Spring/Summer before the MC

Wanted to say congrats on a great round by TBT. That has to feel great, Tim.

I'm still playing terrible. I have a lesson tonight and hope to figure out why.

Thanks buddy, I appreciate it...I don't expect to do it again anytime soon...but it sure felt great!

I hope you get your issues figured out.

Hopefully soon, IN. I believe I'll be over that way in the next month or two.

I went out yesterday after church and spent an hour or two on the chipping green. I discovered a problem with my chipping technique. My right elbow was flying out and causing massive inconsistency. When I keep it in, I am able to hit much better chips and put much more spin on the ball. I also worked on a new shot. A low running pitch with a ton of spin. I kind of discovered this shot while working on a downhill lie on the fairway with my 60º. The shots were coming out low with a lot of spin. They were hopping and stopping like crazy. I don't know the practical use of this shot at the moment, but it is pretty cool to hit.

I had hoped to play yesterday but due to morons at the pro-shop I didn't get on the course, so instead I went over to a pitch and putt course and had a nice 2 hour practice session. 30 yards and in only, high shots, low shots, bunker shots, and putting. The putting was just awful since the practice green looked like it hadn't been mowed/rolled since 2007, I've seen shag rugs that would've rolled faster. Even still it was great to get out and try the new putter and get a feel for it.

Getting those short greenside shots dialed in, and being honest here that's something I have to do well in order to score well since I do not hit a ton of GIR's. Using all three wedges from the same spot and playing different shots to hole has helped me regain some touch that I had lost, pretty happy with where my short game is headed. Of course there's always one thing that frustrates me and lately that has been the chip off a tight lie, hello blade city or I stick it in the dirt grrr consistent inconsistency!

Oh well plenty of time to get it worked out. Good luck with the lesson tonight you'll be stripping balls again in no time!

I went out yesterday after church and spent an hour or two on the chipping green. I discovered a problem with my chipping technique. My right elbow was flying out and causing massive inconsistency. When I keep it in, I am able to hit much better chips and put much more spin on the ball. I also worked on a new shot. A low running pitch with a ton of spin. I kind of discovered this shot while working on a downhill lie on the fairway with my 60º. The shots were coming out low with a lot of spin. They were hopping and stopping like crazy. I don't know the practical use of this shot at the moment, but it is pretty cool to hit.

Part of the Morgan Cup is fun my friend. So who cares how practical the shot is, once you get to SC you'll just need to see if you can pull it off during our round. I'll be all about taking risks and having some fun that day dude.

Thanks, Gray. Hoping that having access to the range to really work on things I've learned in my lessons will pull things together. I'm still hitting some shots how I want, but my miss right now is ugly and gets my into big trouble.

Hawk, this is going to sound funny but the big miss is a great sign. Its also a great sign that you continue to see the miss but eventually curve it. Here's why... it shows you are sticking to the change and keeping with it. Eventually it comes together but you just have to keep doing what youre doing. I shot an 89 which wasnt great, but I putted everything out and no extra practice shots. My big misses showed in the middle of the round but able to calm them after a few holes. You'll get there buddy. keep on keeping on.

I had hoped to play yesterday but due to morons at the pro-shop I didn't get on the course, so instead I went over to a pitch and putt course and had a nice 2 hour practice session. 30 yards and in only, high shots, low shots, bunker shots, and putting. The putting was just awful since the practice green looked like it hadn't been mowed/rolled since 2007, I've seen shag rugs that would've rolled faster. Even still it was great to get out and try the new putter and get a feel for it.

Getting those short greenside shots dialed in, and being honest here that's something I have to do well in order to score well since I do not hit a ton of GIR's. Using all three wedges from the same spot and playing different shots to hole has helped me regain some touch that I had lost, pretty happy with where my short game is headed. Of course there's always one thing that frustrates me and lately that has been the chip off a tight lie, hello blade city or I stick it in the dirt grrr consistent inconsistency!

Oh well plenty of time to get it worked out. Good luck with the lesson tonight you'll be stripping balls again in no time!

Very cool dude! Keep up the hard work. I'll be hitting GAIR's with you too dude.

Yoccos, that was a massive bro hug for a bro that needed it lol. I should just play for the miss, but I'm stubborn. That didn't work out well haha.

Yoccos, that was a massive bro hug for a bro that needed it lol. I should just play for the miss, but I'm stubborn. That didn't work out well haha.

LOL. I know what you mean. But once I started aiming left enough to compenstate for it, things worked out ok ... sometimes haha. You'll figure it out. Range is great but I think you're going about it right by getting on the course as well.

LOL. I miss the old power draw at times. I did pop off a few drives the right way, but yea... I need to start aiming left.

LOL. I miss the old power draw at times. I did pop off a few drives the right way, but yea... I need to start aiming left.

HAHAHAH... man me too. I just find it funny how most say the hook is the miss to have.. yet when we are getting lessons its all about the fade. Whatevers clever but it still is confusing. In the end, we rule.

I suppose we do. TFade and Hawkslice.

Shouldn't be a problem for me!

hahaha. Man, it's just annoying, but to be expected with all these swing thoughts going through the head. I seriously think I'm going to drink a beer or two before I play next so I can just relax and have a good time. It needs to stay fun.

I got out of work early Friday and headed to the course. It was empty so it gave me a lot of practice time. I hit a lot of bunker shots, short game shots, putts, mid irons, drivers...hell I hit everything in the bag. It felt great. I haven't had a practice round like that in a long time. It seemed to pay off too as I went out Saturday morning and shot 76(+4). I really hit the ball well that day and I think it's because of the time I took on the course on Friday.

Nice job on the low score, ddec!

Look at Team paradise with the low scores.... LOL. COngrats!

Yes it is Hawk. Just have some fun, hit some balls and let your opponents wear themselves oot.

Look at Team paradise with the low scores.... LOL. COngrats!

Yes it is Hawk. Just have some fun, hit some balls and let your opponents wear themselves oot.

it's a great strategy and it works

Nice round ddec, that's pretty impressive.

High wind warnings the next 2 days so I won't get out again until Wednesday, but when I do get out I'm going HAM fug it.

it's a great strategy and it works

Yes it does. Secretly though I've been working on something my game lacked last year. Solid contact shots hahahaha.

I got out of work early Friday and headed to the course. It was empty so it gave me a lot of practice time. I hit a lot of bunker shots, short game shots, putts, mid irons, drivers...hell I hit everything in the bag. It felt great. I haven't had a practice round like that in a long time. It seemed to pay off too as I went out Saturday morning and shot 76(+4). I really hit the ball well that day and I think it's because of the time I took on the course on Friday.

Kapow! Nice round Deano, funny how we always play better after a good practice. There must be something to that :bulgy-eyes:

Jake - the irons I'm playing now have similar lofts to the J40 DPC's. I'm starting to think about not having them bent.

Tmex - I thought you only ever hit the sweet spot dude

Jake - the irons I'm playing now have similar lofts to the J40 DPC's. I'm starting to think about not having them bent.

Tmex - I thought you only ever hit the sweet spot dude

This is true but the sweet spot wasnt as solid as the toe for me. So i've beeing trying to hit the toe lately.

Congrats on the 76 ddec!

Back