Bridgestone J40 Pay It Forward Review Thread

Nice update Duey! As howzat said, I am impressed with your ability with the 3 iron. I can't hit one off the deck to save my life but what you are seeing and doing is impressive. Keep up the great work!!

Also cool to see that you have the opportunity to get this into other golfers hands and let them get a little familiarity with the Bridgestone club offerings.

Just signed up specifically for this thread, and applaud everyone who took the time to test the J40's and provide info.

I read in your review thedue, that you also had a set of 4DX's. I would be forever grateful if you could take a few pics of the 4DX's and the J40's (that is if you still have them). I really like the 4DX's, and especially the sole grind on the leading edge. The J40's look like they have a very similar grind, and are at the top of my list of a replacement set. Any other comparisons between the two would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Nice Duey! Impressed with the long iron skill.

Nice update Duey! As howzat said, I am impressed with your ability with the 3 iron. I can't hit one off the deck to save my life but what you are seeing and doing is impressive. Keep up the great work!!

Also cool to see that you have the opportunity to get this into other golfers hands and let them get a little familiarity with the Bridgestone club offerings.

Thanks a ton buddy, the 3w was a fixture all day today in the 4o mph winds we had. It gave me an unreal advantage to stay aggressive under the wind.

Just signed up specifically for this thread, and applaud everyone who took the time to test the J40's and provide info.

I read in your review thedue, that you also had a set of 4DX's. I would be forever grateful if you could take a few pics of the 4DX's and the J40's (that is if you still have them). I really like the 4DX's, and especially the sole grind on the leading edge. The J40's look like they have a very similar grind, and are at the top of my list of a replacement set. Any other comparisons between the two would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Flapjack, yes sir I still have my set of 4DX pro's and would be happy to snap a few side by side pictures tomorrow morning from work. To my knowledge, the J40's have a much sharper sole grind than the Nickents, but I could be wrong on that. Great question, you have me wondering now.

Nice Duey! Impressed with the long iron skill.

Lol, thanks griff, that may be the first time anyone accused me of having skills. The long irons and 3w were on fire today and I hope to get some write-up done early tomorrow about the round. funny how things go, last year my short game was king and the long game never got much mention, haha

So far continuing to get out and hit these about every other day on average and must say I'm slowly becoming more and more of a fan. I will say I'm keeping a close eye on these as several of my buddies are just digging these clubs and grab them every possible chance they get to hit one.

Yesterday, on the par 4 #7 hole from 193, I hit the 3i flag high right with just a beautiful trajectory that had all of us excited as it took off. It was into a very strong wind that should have helped turn the thing back left, but the wind never seemed to touch the ball. This club is so solid I would pull my 4 hybrid out of the bag for it if it were mine to keep.

Our last hole of the day, #9: This is a tough par 3 165 that's slightly up hill with danger and ob left & behind and has over hanging trees all over the right side. To play this hole properly calls for a cut shot left to right, but too much club is bad news. The wind was behind and across blowing the ball left of the flag. Using the 9i, the contact felt perfect, almost no feedback at all and the ball just rocketed off the face straight at the flag, but curled back left towards the end to roll across the green and sit on the back edge for an ok shot. My buddy hit his 8i to stay out well right and flag high, so he tried this 9i and actually hit the ball further, curling right to left off the back side of the green, lol.

So far just loving these clubs and no where near wanting to send these beauties off to someone else yet.

Good write ups Duey, sounds like the shaft & Iron combo is working real well for you.
Can't wait to get a chance to see if I can hit this 3 Iron off the deck, Congrats on your success.

So far continuing to get out and hit these about every other day on average and must say I'm slowly becoming more and more of a fan. I will say I'm keeping a close eye on these as several of my buddies are just digging these clubs and grab them every possible chance they get to hit one.

Yesterday, on the par 4 #7 hole from 193, I hit the 3i flag high right with just a beautiful trajectory that had all of us excited as it took off. It was into a very strong wind that should have helped turn the thing back left, but the wind never seemed to touch the ball. This club is so solid I would pull my 4 hybrid out of the bag for it if it were mine to keep.

Our last hole of the day, #9: This is a tough par 3 165 that's slightly up hill with danger and ob left & behind and has over hanging trees all over the right side. To play this hole properly calls for a cut shot left to right, but too much club is bad news. The wind was behind and across blowing the ball left of the flag. Using the 9i, the contact felt perfect, almost no feedback at all and the ball just rocketed off the face straight at the flag, but curled back left towards the end to roll across the green and sit on the back edge for an ok shot. My buddy hit his 8i to stay out well right and flag high, so he tried this 9i and actually hit the ball further, curling right to left off the back side of the green, lol.

So far just loving these clubs and no where near wanting to send these beauties off to someone else yet.

Great write up Duey. Thats a mean 3i man!!!! I love it.

Good stuff due. Solid work and sounds like your getting used to them quite a bit.

Here you go, sorry it took so long. I forgot my image card at home, so ended up taking the pictures with my phone, but hope they came out ok.

Edit: Damn things didn't come out at all. Sorry, I will get some better one's tomorrow, lol.

J403.jpg

J402.jpg

J401.jpg

P1020153.jpg

001-2.jpg

Those pics are getting me fired up, can't wait to see more :D

Also, has anyone seen the PW yet? Just curious how it looks from address compared to the other clubs. Thats my only gripe with Mizuno is that for some reason the PW's always look super bulky, and don't seem to match the set aesthetically, to my eye anyway. Hope the DPC PW blends nicely. Am I right that the DPC's are slightly longer heel to toe than the 4DX's?

Any recommendations on where to order a set?

Those pics are getting me fired up, can't wait to see more :D

Also, has anyone seen the PW yet? Just curious how it looks from address compared to the other clubs. Thats my only gripe with Mizuno is that for some reason the PW's always look super bulky, and don't seem to match the set aesthetically, to my eye anyway. Hope the DPC PW blends nicely. Am I right that the DPC's are slightly longer heel to toe than the 4DX's?

Any recommendations on where to order a set?

Unquestionably blind 9, they have hooked up quite a few thpers with great deals. Tell them you are from THP.

Sounds good, I will contact them and see what shakes out. thanks

It was a sad day late last week when I had to send these beautiful iron's on to the next tester, but I could only hog them for so long. The last two day's I had them was very windy and cold and as fate would have it, the weather has been fantastic ever since. 2Shoe's, these should be arriving any day now, I know you will enjoy your time with them.

Overview: I will say that I started out struggling with these iron's in the beginning, but to put things in perspective, I'm simply not hitting any iron's very well right now. The last day I had these out was possibly the best I shot with them throughout my trial period and was able to see some very special traits such as the lower penetrating ball flight, as compared to my Adam's. Feel is exceptional and something I seldom pay attention to in an iron because I think a person needs to pay attention to feel on good and bad ball striking days before making declarations like these. I had both and won't say they were the most forgiving, but for thinner, more blade like slight cavity back type iron's these did a great all around job.

Best shot's throughout my testing was on the last day at two very difficult par 3's. The first was 160 yards directly into a 50 mph wind. I hit the 3i like a rocket that had everyone in my group yelling at the ball to "GO IN"! It rolled by the flag leaving me a down hill 10 footer, but no one else even got to the green. They all took turns hitting that iron, lol. The second one was on the par 3 9th hole with that crazy wind behind us. 156 yards with the 9i and I stuck the toughest green we had all day.

A huge thanks to THP and Bridgestone Golf for allowing all of us this opportunity. I am now a huge Bridgestone fan!

Great job Duey! I remember the day I had to package them up and send them on their was as well, very sad indeed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Great job Duey! I remember the day I had to package them up and send them on their was as well, very sad indeed.

Yeah, but you promptly ordered your own set! :D

Nice job with them Duey! Looking forward to 2shoes impression of these.

Good stuff Due! Looking forward to the thoughts of 2shoes next. I can't wait to get these in my bag. I'm even thinking about not messing with the lofts now.

Yeah, but you promptly ordered your own set! :D

Nice job with them Duey! Looking forward to 2shoes impression of these.
Yes I did, and they went back in the bag last night!

Yes I did, and they went back in the bag last night!

I noticed that....and it brought a little grin to my face. To say I am anxious to get these is ever the understatement!

I noticed that....and it brought a little grin to my face. To say I am anxious to get these is ever the understatement!
Yeah, I decided I want to spend time with one set and really work on my swing. I like the 11s, and will still play them a good bit, but the J40s are the irons that I want to spend most of my time working on my game with.

Received these last night, thanks Duey! I'll start by saying that I've stayed out of this thread on purpose because I didn't want my opinion to be swayed prior to getting them. Also, I haven't laid eyes on the irons in person, only in pictures. Ive only read some of what Duey commented; and that was just now. Funny he mentioned Lynx Parrallax, because I've been using them up until a couple years ago and these clubs reminded me of them.

They have a more blade "tour" look to them than I expected. Also, I could feel the weight of the clubs, but didn't have my current irons with me to compare, but they felt a little on the heavy side. We'll see.

The face is certainly smaller than my current irons (TaylorMade R11). My golfing buddy was over as I opened the box and his first words were "They don't look very forgiving". As far as astethics, they look great. Non-flashy. If you're weird about stuff, they can go in any color bag.

The shafts intrigue me quite a bit. I'm very interested to see how they perform.

My overall first impression is they look great, as Duey said, I can see quite a bit of wear (I know they've been in some hands by now), I'm a little worried that they aren't gonna' "give" like my R11s, but we'll see. I'm looking forward to this!

Looking forward to your thoughts 2Shoes! Funny how so many of us can look at a club and have different thoughts, mostly based on what we have played before, etc.

Team Hackers tapping!

Glad they arrived 2shoes, looking forward to your thoughts on these. I still get the old Lynx or Nickents out from time to time and actually think it helps my ball striking. We need a video of your face as hit hit the first pure shot with these, its like "Oh baby"!

My golfing buddy was over as I opened the box and his first words were "They don't look very forgiving".
That's the best part about these, forgiveness is hidden in a beautiful package.

Just catching up on the thread, great stuff guys, I enjoyed your write ups duey. Are in now in a full ponder mode? :D

Just catching up on the thread, great stuff guys, I enjoyed your write ups duey. Are in now in a full ponder mode? :D

Thanks buddy, I am finding myself wanting to pull the trigger here. I felt a little lost without these yesterday, lol.

Thanks buddy, I am finding myself wanting to pull the trigger here. I felt a little lost without these yesterday, lol.

Looks like you had a 180 degree turn on these from your first time you hit 'em! Just catching up.

Back