Sand Saves - Your Game

Was 1/1 on sand saves today during my round. Thankfully I didn't put any more of my approach shots in greenside bunkers!

i was 2/2 on sand saves during my round yesterday, both came on par 3's :)

I was 0/1 yesterday. Hit an approach on a par 5 into a big, hilly bunker complex. Left myself a distance that I am not really comfortable with. I want to say it was 30 yards to the pin, but I don't remember. I ended up getting on the green, but on the wrong tier and had a tough putt that I missed.

0/1 yesterday as well for me - on a somewhat blowup hole, I was in the greenside bunker and had to get up and down for bogey. Hit my bunker shot nicely to 5 feet, but stupidly two putted for a double.

The 9 hole par 3 course I played yesterday has a decent practice bunker so I dropped 30 balls in the sand from various spots and played them out...too many balls on the green to putt them all out....but 7 were "in the leather" and another 5 were inside about 4 feet and another 3 inside 5 feet....so that was 15 out of the 30 that I felt for sure I would get up and down....and I probably would have made a couple of the other putts....so I am going to say I would have been at about 60%.

Now in full disclosure....most of the ones in really close came towards the end of the 30 after I had alot of practice out of that sand.

I was 1/2 in sand saves on back nine this weekend. The one on 18 was one of the only sand saves I could think of converting for quite some time! The other was a huge debacle, bunkers are still the weakest part of my game hands down!

Do you find youself picking it too clean or are you taking too much sand?

Alex

0/1 yesterday.

Got out, but should have swung a little harder. Was left on the fringe and got down with a chip and putt from there.

0/2 for me yesterday. I seem to get it on the green just fine but need to practice these shots in order to get it close.

1 for 3 yesterday. The 1 was from a fairway bunker. It was not a good day. The other missed bunker saves weren't hard shots. Just me missing them.

1/2 yesterday, and 2/3 on the weekend. My only miss was a 4 footer. I made a tap in and a 6 footer from the sand.

Last year I bought an app for my phone which keeps track of all my stats (as long as I put in the correct information). I have only played two rounds so far this year and have a 100% sand save record. (1 for 1 and had a long putt that I somehow made). Of course over all the rounds played this and last year I am at 10.5% which I am pleased with. (The app keeps track of my scrambling as well, putts per hole both when I am on in reg and not, etc...all in need of improvement :p)

Last year I bought an app for my phone which keeps track of all my stats (as long as I put in the correct information). I have only played two rounds so far this year and have a 100% sand save record. (1 for 1 and had a long putt that I somehow made). Of course over all the rounds played this and last year I am at 10.5% which I am pleased with. (The app keeps track of my scrambling as well, putts per hole both when I am on in reg and not, etc...all in need of improvement :p)

What app?

This is a very timely topic and I just thread skimmed like crazy, but, sand is one thing that has really changed about my game lately. I use to have no problem in the sand, now I dread bunkers. Not sure what happened...

Golfshot. There is a free version that you can keep all your stats with. The pay version uses gps to track club distances and distances from trouble and greens which is very handy. (I can no longer guesstimate club distances based on scorecard listed tee box lengths) It uses aerial satelite photos of each hole, too. I am quite fond of it.

I am going to have to start tracking this as I consider my bunker game one of my strong points. In Orlando I got up and down quite a few times from the beach. My last round I was 2 for 2 including a 30 yd shot to 1 foot. I know I can improve on the blow up holes which is probably my biggest weakness right now!

I'm comfortable in the sand and have no problem getting out and usually end up satisfied with the shot. My problem to sand saves is I suck at putting. I think when the season starts I'm going to keep track of how close I am to the hole and how many putts I take.

I've been tracking this since this thread started. Currently my sand save rate is at 60% I went a bit further and looked at the condition of the sand too. I'm above 70% in 'fluffy' sand and below 50% from wet compact sand. These numbers whilst good are actually lower than I thought they would be. To put it in perspective I'm below 30% from directly around the green so my percentage shot is to go for the beach I think. These figures make me more comfortable going for the pin over a bunker.

Played 18 on Sunday and was sitting +3 and was 210yds out on the (Par5) 18th after my drive. I pulled my hybrid slightly right and into a deep bunker. (So deep you can barely see flag).
I got it out of the bunker, barely and sitting on the steep bank. I proceeded to try and get cute with my chip which rolled back into the bunker, got it out, (again on the steep bank), yada yada yada, I ended up taking a 7. The rest of my round saw me getting up and down 4 out of 7 times.

I have played a total of 27 holes last week, hit one bunker (which cost me 5 strokes) for a total score of 5 over par. UGGH

Only hit one bunker yesterday - greenside bunker on hole #2. Hit my bunker shot to about 10-12 feet with an uphill putt breaking right-to-left for my par and my save. Drained the putt.

Only hit one bunker yesterday - greenside bunker on hole #2. Hit my bunker shot to about 10-12 feet with an uphill putt breaking right-to-left for my par and my save. Drained the putt.

Nice job, Nate.

So far, since this thread was started...I am at 0%. That is 0 for 1. :act-up:

I'm a complete disaster from the bunker. It's my worst enemy. I need to work on that, as it seems like my ball has a homing device for greenside bunkers as of late.

Now I have 4 rounds in on my way to 20 tracking sand saves. In the first 3 rounds I hit 3 greenside bunkers and was 0 - 3 , but today I hit three more and was 3 - 3 , so I am at 3 - 6 (50%) thru 4 rounds. Today I did a god job of keeping my head down, and tho 2 of my bunker shots were longish, I came out to 10, 2, and 8 feet, and the putter was true every time.

0-2 today. Hit 1 really good one but missed the putt. I'm 0 for the season right now

0-4 today. I think I hit every bunker out there today. I got better with each shot and should have been able to save the last one but I mis-read the putt. I need to spend some more time practicing my sand shots for sure.

Back