Nuun Drink Tablets - Forum Review

First Test: Grape Nuun

I finally got a chance to try these out on the course yesterday. I played 18 holes in early afternoon, it was about 85 with low humidity and a nice breeze, so it really wasn't that hot out.

I am usually really good about staying hydrated, I typically drink Gatorade on the course, so I was curious to see how the Nuun would compare.

Taste: I pretty much will fall in line with everyone else, these aren't a drink you would drink for the taste. I am not usually a grape fan, so I was a little concerned. It wasn't a bad taste at all, it was just kinda blah. The biggest reason I usually drink Gatorade on the course, is because I will continually sip on it throughout the round, because I like the taste. If I take water on the course, I won't drink it until I'm thirsty, which usually means you are already headed towards dehydration. This was the same way, I wouldn't sip on it unless my throat was dry, it just wasn't an enjoyable taste. I was shocked to see I was only halfway through the 16oz bottle at the turn.

Effects: I did not notice any difference from when I normally drink Gatorade. That being said I will usually drink at bare minimum 32 ounces of gatorade a round, and I only drank 16oz of the Nuun, and didn't notice any negative effects, so I guess I was getting plenty of electrolytes from just 16 oz.

Initial thoughts: The taste was just there, I didn't dread drinking it like I have other nutritional supplements, but I didnt' find myself reaching for it just to take a sip either. I felt like it worked, I stayed hydrated despite only drinking 16oz in 3 hours. This is certainly a product I would use when running or doing other strenuous exercise where Gatorade is not ideal, but I'm not sure if it is necessary or not when playing golf.

I'm going to try the Lemon Lime next time out.

Played another round with the NUUN enhanced water on Sunday. We've already touched a bunch of the big issues such as taste, convenience, and effectiveness so I didn't really conventionally tests these this time around. Just came up with my own random way of doing this to kind of report on other things.

Testing conditions: 11:00 tee time w/ temp of 83 and mild humidity. Playing 27 holes.

I left the 2 tablets I used today in my bag in my trunk for the past week. Just testing the storage temp suggestion with these. I saw no difference in the way they looked, dissolved, tasted, or performed when left in mild heat.

Grape is probably my favorite tasting tablet. It just seems to mesh better with the "other taste" (alka-seltzer) that we've talked about. That's all I'll say about taste.

I actually stop watch timed the tablets dissolving rate. It came in at a speedy 1min 37sec. Not too shabby.

Drank straight water and had a Power Bar around hole 11 or 12. Body was starting to feel a bit beat down after about 13-14 holes. Started drinking the NUUN (actually chugged it down because I want to find out absorption rate here) on hole 14. No immediate difference for a couple of holes. On 17 I started to feel like I was catching a second wind. Nothing spectacular once again. My body just felt slightly refreshed/renewed to its prior state. My mind wasn't as cloudy and the club was just a little easier to start back and get through again. My take is that the effect of the NUUN isn't immediate, so you should probably start to use it before you've already started to flounder. However, the effects did take hold much quicker than I anticipated.

I sipped on a second NUUN water starting on 18 and it held me over nicely from 18-27. No miracles as expected. Just a boost to get your body back to where it needs to be.

My final take on the NUUN tablets? They are effective at what they advertise themselves to be able to do for you. Plenty of people could do themselves a huge favor with these to maintain their level of play late in a round. Although there are other forms of electrolyte replacement out there I feel that these are one of the better options to get just those needed electrolytes and nothing else.

Will I buy more? Already have. Will everyone like them? Nope. The taste is probably just too polarizing. However, I do believe that others owe it to themselves to at least give this product a chance. It may surprise them.

Siri does my posting for me using Tapatalk.

Hey guys just wanted to give you a little update. My Nuun package arrived yesterday and I have been sick but started sucking them down immediately. I have tried every flavor that came in the sample box (4 flavors 48 tablets total) and personally I like the lemon lime the best. To me it has no Alka Seltzer taste at all on any of them, ive been drinking the Alka Seltzer cold and flu since im sick and these taste nothing like them. Do I feel any different after drinking them, no but I have not had any leg cramps since starting drinking these either which I have had every day since I started on my new meds. To me thats worth it, cant wait to try these out on the course and see if the cramps stay away.

I used the Fruit Punch this morning. Guys: I just don't like the stuff. It doesn't taste good, and I can't tell the difference in performance over Gatorade. I think they could have a real nice product if they worked on the flavor though. The Fruit Punch tasted like alka-seltzer with a little juice added. It still dissolved very nicely, with no residue after a quick shake. It has a light carbonation, just like the Lemon Lime.

I suppose it did it's job though. It was 85 degrees and humid, and through my range session (where I had to shag the balls I hit) I didn't get thirsty. The session lasted about an hour and a half, and I reckon it took about as much effort as 9 holes.

So what would I do to it? Make it stronger. Flavor-wise that is. It honestly doesn't taste much different than the LL for me. Until they do something to the flavor though, I am afraid these just are not for me.

Great write up JR.

I had never really thought of the light carbonation, until you brought it up. Every time I took the cap off my bottle, there would be a slight "spist" sound, like a soda or such. Didn't really think anything of it though and nor did it effect the lightness of the water, but odd how it is there.

Great write ups guys, because of your great reporting I bought the Retro 4 pack from the Nuun website. Today I used a Citrus Fruit flavored tablet starting on the 7th hole. I too did as others and broke it in half and placed it in an open 16 oz bottle of water, it desolved completely. The taste was only slightly citrus fruit and tasted more like seltzer. I think 10Yard & JR collectively hit on something above, the seltzer gives the drink its fizz and also its carbonation, but the taste is certainly not Alka-Seltzer, not medicinal at all, simply a seltzer water taste. I did not like or dislike the taste, I simply would rather drink the Nuun than a sweetened Gatorade.

I agree with others, I did not feel any perceivable energy burst or enchanced ability. I also did not experience my normal late round tiredness either, I purposely did not eat a snack to see it the Nuun tablets would keep me from having that late round crash. I plan to continue using the tablets into the summer and seeing how they do then.

Last edited:
I wanted to disagree with 10yd on his findings that the NUUN didn't taste like Alka-Seltzer. I went to the shopette during lunch and experimented with an Alka-Seltzer tablet just to prove him wrong.

Jury's in. It is not an Alka-Seltzer taste. I guess I just associate the taste with the medicine but the taste IS more just like seltzer water. Obviously as others have said, this must be where it gets it's slight fizziness.

Still off putting, but more like seltzer water. Not Alka-Seltzer.

You win, 10yd.

Siri does my posting for me using Tapatalk.

I have a few tubes if anyone wants to try. I have one condition, if I send at my cost you you have to post your thoughts in this thread. Let me know.

First Test: Grape Nuun

I finally got a chance to try these out on the course yesterday. I played 18 holes in early afternoon, it was about 85 with low humidity and a nice breeze, so it really wasn't that hot out.

I am usually really good about staying hydrated, I typically drink Gatorade on the course, so I was curious to see how the Nuun would compare.

Taste: I pretty much will fall in line with everyone else, these aren't a drink you would drink for the taste. I am not usually a grape fan, so I was a little concerned. It wasn't a bad taste at all, it was just kinda blah. The biggest reason I usually drink Gatorade on the course, is because I will continually sip on it throughout the round, because I like the taste. If I take water on the course, I won't drink it until I'm thirsty, which usually means you are already headed towards dehydration. This was the same way, I wouldn't sip on it unless my throat was dry, it just wasn't an enjoyable taste. I was shocked to see I was only halfway through the 16oz bottle at the turn.

Effects: I did not notice any difference from when I normally drink Gatorade. That being said I will usually drink at bare minimum 32 ounces of gatorade a round, and I only drank 16oz of the Nuun, and didn't notice any negative effects, so I guess I was getting plenty of electrolytes from just 16 oz.

Initial thoughts: The taste was just there, I didn't dread drinking it like I have other nutritional supplements, but I didnt' find myself reaching for it just to take a sip either. I felt like it worked, I stayed hydrated despite only drinking 16oz in 3 hours. This is certainly a product I would use when running or doing other strenuous exercise where Gatorade is not ideal, but I'm not sure if it is necessary or not when playing golf.

I'm going to try the Lemon Lime next time out.

Nice write up wake! I also normally drink a minimum of 32oz of Gatorade during a round and had very good results with just 16oz of Nuun. The taste isn't the best but the results can't be denied! This stuff flat out works I will be keeping Nuun in the bag.

I have a request for all the testers. Please play one round with no nuun and one round with. Please keep
Track of the following. Score, mood, energy level and concentration. I'd like to know which round yields better results.

I have a request for all the testers. Please play one round with no nuun and one round with. Please keep
Track of the following. Score, mood, energy level and concentration. I'd like to know which round yields better results.

This was my first test. Nuun vs water energy mood concentration were all better with Nuun.

I gave the Lemon Lime a try yesterday before my Golf lesson and followed up with a first lawn mowing of the year.
After talking with a gal pal yesterday morning that is big into kick boxing she convinced me into trying the drink not only during a round of Golf but afterwards.
I had chatted with her about my round on Monday that was played in some very high wind conditions and I walked 18 that seemed like 27 with the wind factor and my legs were sore.
She explained to me that the electrolytes would help in the recovery process after strenuous exercise.
So I plopped a Lemon Lime tab in my water bottle with 18 fl oz of oxygenated water before my lesson and drank it on the way.
Taste
It tasted neutral to me no unpleasant after taste.
I believe if the company where to try to make it more flavorful that's where the after taste may come into play. So for me it was good.
Feel
After I had warmed up and proceeded with my lesson I can say that I was attentive during the instruction and didn't particularly have any muscle pain in my legs.
I stayed and practiced another 60 mins. after the lesson and all went well with my energy level and my body didn't feel any lingering pain.
I drove home and jumped right into cutting my lawn. It took about 80 mins having to bag the cuttings since the grass was so tall.
After wards I felt fine and went over to the truck shop to have a few adult beverages with some buddies.
Try again
I think that I would try this product again and may use it during the Spring Hunting Season to see how it works walking the Steep hills in Western Maryland.
More to follow.

I played 9 on Friday with Nuun and 9 Saturday with water.

Friday round:
Walked 9 holes used the strawberry lemonade Nuun tablet.

As others have said Nuun tablets are very convenient and easy to use. dissolves in about 2 minutes.

First impression:
when I opened the package I thought the smell was great! I broke the tablet in half and dropped it in the bottle before the round. I was hoping that the taste would be better to me then others have described. At the first tee I started to sip the Nuun enhanced water. The first thing that came to mind was this isn't bad, the taste wasn't overwhelming and had zero aftertaste. I could definitely taste the strawberry but didn't taste the lemonade at all.

Performance:
I started drinking the Nuun water at the first tee and finished it at # 7. During the round I felt that the Nuun helped me maintain my stamina from the first tee to the 9th. I felt no loss of energy and I was able to stay focused. Normally after walking 9 drinking water or gatorade I feel a bit tired but that didn't happen with Nuun.

Saturday round:
Walked same 9 as Friday drinking plain water instead of Nuun.

I started drinking water at the first tee all the way through the ninth (2- 16.9 ounce bottles) as the round went on I could feel myself loosing energy and focus. I don't know if I was dehydrated or not but by the end of the round I was unfocused sluggish and making very poor shots.

Thoughts:
Comparing Friday with Nuun to Saturday with water Nuun wins hands down! It helped me maintain the same level of energy and focus from the beginning to the end of the round. The taste of the strawberry lemonade although it wasn't great it definitely wasn't bad either, I would definitely use the strawberry lemonade Nuun again. I have a lemon lime to test and I'll be looking for Nuun tablets locally so I can try a few more flavors over the next few weeks.

Good stiff CS, this is what I wanted to see. My dad walks and drinks water. I'm going to have him try nuun and are if he feels better.

I have read through the majority of these reviews and appreciate the honest and candid feedback. More times than not, these appear to be something that is helping golfers on the course maintain focus and energy especially later on in the rounds. Going to do my best to find some of these local today.

Thanks and keep up the great work, this is not the easiest thing to review!

I will do this my next two rounds out. I plan on playing Friday and will try my last Nuun. When I get out next week, I will go no Nuun and post my results.

I agree these are really tough to review. Especially since we all perspire & metabolize at different rates. I noticed very little change when using them to practice or golf, but I really rely on them while running anything more than 5 miles or so. The heat and humidity are coming so I'm glad I bought 3 of these tubes.

Good stiff CS, this is what I wanted to see. My dad walks and drinks water. I'm going to have him try nuun and are if he feels better.

I think if he can get past the taste he will be amazed at how much better he feels at the end of the round.

I finally got out to play after I had received the trial/test tablets. The temperature outside was about 68 and not too humid. The sun was shining. I was walking and carrying my clubs. We T'd off about 10am.
I began the round with the grape flavored nuun tablet, and finished the round with the lemon-lime flavored tablet.
I had a 16.9 ounce deer park water bottle filled with tap water from home (well water) to start with. The grape tablet made the water turn to a light green color. Interesting since it was a grape flavor. There was a little carbonation associated with the dissolving of the tablet. The tablet dissolved relatively quick and the water fizzed a little after shaking it up. Then came the ultimate test, did it taste acceptably? Yes, acceptably, but it really didn't make me want to take another big gulp immediately. The taste was ok though. I drank some of the water about every 2 holes like I normally do with water to stay hydrated.
I refilled my water bottle with tap water at the clubhouse at the turn. The temperature was now up to almost 80 and the humidity had increased since we had a short rain shower half way through the round. The lemon-lime tablet was added to the water to dissolve. Interesting that the color of the water was the same as it was with the grape tablet. Not that important, just an observation. Now the taste test. It had an interesting taste. It was acceptable but not really good, just ok. It tasted like the original green gatorade mixed with a little fresca (if you remember that taste). I continued with the same hydration pattern as the front nine until it was gone.
I have to say that I really couldn't tell any difference between drinking water and drinking the nuun drink. I normally drink quiet a bit of water during the day when I know that I'm going to be playing golf in the evening or the next morning to get prepared with good hydration. Maybe this is a reason. Also, it really wasn't that hot outside and the humidity was lower than normal. This may have had something to do with the my ability to notice any difference.
Bottom line is, if I had to choose at this point, I would likely just drink water until it gets hotter and more humid.
However, if I had to choose something to drink during those hot summer days, I like the convenience of adding a tablet to my water bottle. I think if you shopped around a little, you could find this product and it would be more economical than the other liquid hydration/electrolyte choices.
Of the two flavors that I was testing, I would choose the grape over the lemon-lime.

Many thanks to THP and nuun for allowing me and other THP'ers to test the products.

Runners Warehouse emailed me and my order shipped yesterday. Should be in tomorrow afternoon. So, shout out to them, for the huge discount and UBER fast shipping. I will review and provide some feedback this weekend.

Runners Warehouse emailed me and my order shipped yesterday. Should be in tomorrow afternoon. So, shout out to them, for the huge discount and UBER fast shipping. I will review and provide some feedback this weekend.

nice Jeff. What flavors did you get again?

Sorry for my late post, I'm ready to get into the game Coach!!! I recieved the Grape and Strawberry Lemonade flavored Nuun tablets. I have used the Tri-Berry flavored tablets last year while golfing. I tried the Strawberry Lemonade today while I was spending a few hours on the range this afternoon. My overall opinion of the flavor is there is a lot left to work on. I know with these type of products, its hard to concentrate on flavor, when the main reason is to help keep your hydrated. If I was just given this to drink and was not told the flavor, I wouldn't be able to tell you what it was. Now the Tri Berry flavor is ok, I can taste what they are going for with it.

DSCN8536.jpg
[/IMG]
DSCN8540.jpg

I do really like the results of the product, dont get me wrong. I would drink a bottle of Nuun while out on the golf course than a bottle of Gatorade any day. Nuun doesnt leave you looking to quench your thirst. The overall ability to keep you hydrated is a great feature. I am playing this coming Sunday, so I will try out the Grape flavor and report back.

Nice writeup and pics, Bogey!

Back