How far do you hit 'em?

I dunno about the whole distance thing. I am not a long hitter, but I seem to get around okay, and if I am not playing well, it certainly isn't because of a lack of length. I have played the tips on some pretty long courses and not suffered from lack of distance at all. I think up to a certain point, maybe the 200-220 mark, it is marginally important, but after that, unless you are on tour, you are better served focusing on your short game.

I don't know dude. Being short off the tee is tough on longer courses. There is a big difference both physically and mentally when you are swinging a fairway wood/hybrid vs an iron/wedge.

I guess, I never really noticed. I am just a cool customer, lol.
I don't know dude. Being short off the tee is tough on longer courses. There is a big difference both physically and mentally when you are swinging a fairway wood/hybrid vs an iron/wedge.

D : 2XX
3w: (13º) Don't quite know yet as the loft is new to me
5w: See above
3i: 215
4i: 205
5i: 190
6i: 175
7i: 160
8i: 150
9i: 140
PW: 130
54º: 110
60º: 80

The 60 is hardly ever used for a full shot.

I love the 2XX! Thats what I am onna start saying.

D : 2XX
3w: (13º) Don't quite know yet as the loft is new to me
5w: See above
3i: 215
6i: 175
7i: 160
9i: 140
PW: 130
54º: 110
60º: 80

The 60 is hardly ever used for a full shot.

Even if the study is old, I doubt the idea that golfers overestimate their lengths has changed :)

Right but if the average drive in 1998 is 220 yards that would make a difference. The really low numbers give the illusion that we overestimate our distances more than we do, which in turn makes it seem like the point is to make us look more ridiculous than we already do. If you're trying to make us look ridiculous then cool, but give us the whole story.

A lot of the better players that rag on golfers for overestimating their distances... usually are the shorter hitters anyway.. distance envy :alien:

I'm just looking for answers. I dont think that is too much to ask at all :)

I think big misses muddy things up a bit. A high slice or hitting the trees a couple times can really drop the 'average', but I don't think it's a real representation of how far a person can actually hit the ball.

I must be in a weird group, since I'd tell you I hit the driver shorter than most are saying, yet I hit my gap wedge further than most are claiming. Big gaps ftw.

My rule of thumb is people over estimate how far they drive it on average by 30+ yards.
This is why you constantly see people looking for a ball 30 - 40 yards past where it actually is. How many times have you been helping someone find their ball and for them to say, I am way further then that. Only to find it half a football field back.

I've been changing my swing, and watched a video. Had no idea it looks like stack-n-tilt. haha. I said I would never do it, but it happened. Yardages have changed with the new swing.

Driver------- 260-280
3 wood------ 230
21* hyrbid--- 210
4 iron-------- 195
5 iron-------- 182
6 iron-------- 170
7 iron-------- 160
8 iron]------- 145
9 iron-------- 130
PW---------- 120
50* wedge-- 100-110
54* wedge-- 80
60* wedge-- 60

These are my Yardage's for full swing with good ball striking so these numbers aren't what I see on every shot.

1w 250+
3w 250
3h 225
4i 210
5i 200
6i 190
7i 180
8i 170
9i 160
Pw 145
52* 125
56* 110
60* 90

Yet again, you typo. I think you meant 39X.

Oh man, that was a typo. I forgot I was on the internets. I meant to put 3XX.

They are pretty close on the keyboard. Hell, if your drunk typing that F can easily become an A!
Did you turn that F into a B?:D

Made some changes to my bag and my swing and retweaked my averages. I'm Shorter with the driver but way more accurate. Only missed 4 fairways in 36 holes this weekend. These numbers are from my GPS.

7023899649_316ba1c66d_z.jpg

That's a sweet looking summary, but how does your GPS know what the carry distances are? I can see for the wedges and short irons, if you can find the ball mark, but how do you record the carry for the woods? Do you have a forecaddie? Or are this from a simulator?

I'd love to know my carry for shots off the tee -- total distance doesn't help if I need to carry a hazard.

I think big misses muddy things up a bit. A high slice or hitting the trees a couple times can really drop the 'average', but I don't think it's a real representation of how far a person can actually hit the ball.

I don't record the big misses for my average. I want my distances for planning the next shot, and for that I need for at least an "okay" hit average. If I top/sky/hit a tree, all the planning in the world won't help. I realize those are a better estimate of the true average, but that's not as useful -- maybe the median rather than the mean is a better measure for planning purposes.

They are pretty close on the keyboard. Hell, if your drunk typing that F can easily become an A!

Who would ever post while drinking? :clap:

I don't record the big misses for my average. I want my distances for planning the next shot, and for that I need for at least an "okay" hit average. If I top/sky/hit a tree, all the planning in the world won't help. I realize those are a better estimate of the true average, but that's not as useful -- maybe the median rather than the mean is a better measure for planning purposes.

The wild over-swing that lands 30 yards farther than a normal drive but happens to get lucky and lands in the fairway should probably be ignored also.

That's a sweet looking summary, but how does your GPS know what the carry distances are? I can see for the wedges and short irons, if you can find the ball mark, but how do you record the carry for the woods? Do you have a forecaddie? Or are this from a simulator?

I'd love to know my carry for shots off the tee -- total distance doesn't help if I need to carry a hazard.

The driver and fairway wood carries are marked by where we think the ball lands. I know that my driver usually rolls out about another 20 yrds based on Trakman findings, so I take my best guess on where the ball landed and if the total distance is about 20 yards past that, I mark it with my GPS. My 3 and 4 irons tend to take a heavy bounce where they first hit so we can usually find a mark. From my 5i on down the ball just tends to stop where it lands as I put just enough spin on them to keep them from rolling forward or back. My swing coach has been trying to help me fix that.

Driver: 260+
3W: 230-240
3H: 210-220
4I: 200
5I: 190
6I: 180
7I: 160
8I: 150
9I: 140
PW: 130 (48-degree)
GW: 110-115 (51-degree)
SW: 100 (56-degree)
LW: <100 (60-degree)

The driver and fairway wood carries are marked by where we think the ball lands. I know that my driver usually rolls out about another 20 yrds based on Trakman findings, so I take my best guess on where the ball landed and if the total distance is about 20 yards past that, I mark it with my GPS. My 3 and 4 irons tend to take a heavy bounce where they first hit so we can usually find a mark. From my 5i on down the ball just tends to stop where it lands as I put just enough spin on them to keep them from rolling forward or back. My swing coach has been trying to help me fix that.

Got it, thanks!

The wild over-swing that lands 30 yards farther than a normal drive but happens to get lucky and lands in the fairway should probably be ignored also.

Statistically true, but my ego objects!

Seriously, the "good" wild over-swings are very rare, and I do include the swings that are disappointing but not disasterous (say, 20-30yrds shorter than most, but not 80 yds shorter), so my average is still pretty accurate. Right now average drive ~225yds, but increasingly more in the 235+ range when I can get myself to relax and let my arms drop into the downswing, rather than starting with the arms and casting. I've only had my clubs for 10 days, so when I'm more comfortable with the distances I'll join the posting party.

Driver: 300
4w: 240
3h: 220
6i: 180
7i: 165
9i: 135
pw: 125
aw: 115
52*: 85