Rivers Edge GC - Shallotte NC

Canadan

LGND
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
Played Rivers Edge this morning. It is one of my absolute favourite courses and I was really looking forward to getting out there this year.

It seems like a lot of courses in the lower NC region have some dormant areas, and I don't think Rivers Edge was any different in a lot of the rough portion of the course, but the fairways and greens were in great condition. It looks like they recently did some punching on the greens, but it didn't really effect the roll, and many greens had excellent speed.

The fairways were clean and reasonable all of the way through, and most of the bunkers appeared to be in great shape.

I am very biased, but I think this course is one of the best in the area. If you are looking for a real challenge, and a course loaded with amazing views and really unique holes, I think Rivers Edge is a must play. I had a couple of crazy shots throughout. 205 yard shots entirely over marsh area on par 3s, 'attack' landing areas that are tiny, greens that fall out over the marsh, just awesome.

I promised a few THP guys a bunch of pictures, and I won't be disappointing..

I played the black tees which play about 6500 yards (recommended for handicaps 7-12). The rest of the guys in my group played the white tees which play at just over 6000 (recommended for handicaps 13-20).

61f7cbd3.jpg

34d4d9b8.jpg

86f4b314.jpg

662cf90a.jpg

28565033.jpg

92dacccb.jpg

09e40479.jpg

a6beab42.jpg

200 yards to the flag, par 3, directly over the Marsh.

e1db3d7b.jpg

189fc063.jpg

e3b1129d.jpg

8009ec87.jpg

My tee box on the 18th. I aimed to the left side of the clubhouse on the right. Awesome hole.

cc72a66e.jpg

6f7dc27b.jpg

183b2bc7.jpg

cf9d6cba.jpg

f8ba03dd.jpg

9ba00140.jpg

b0665823.jpg

A great par 3, big time down hill, about 145 from the black tees.

62ac9d77.jpg

525748d8.jpg

9f9c85b3.jpg

5ad1faf1.jpg

Another awesome par 3. I had 189 and it's quite a bit downhill. Backdrop is the marsh.

df828658.jpg

This was our 18th hole (technically the 9th) -- I decided to take photos throughout because it's such an awesome hole.

The tee shot, about 301 yards to the NEXT marsh. I hit a 3 wood.

c00df676.jpg

The look from the second shot, about 220 yards to the bunkers on the right side.

f2acd4d9.jpg

From the 100 yard marker into the green. It's a L shape, not a dogleg haha!

2392ce65.jpg

Behind my playing partner is the tee shot landing area, way the heck back in the distance.

45c55141.jpg

Looking back towards the 100 marker and the clubhouse on the left.

3b96235b.jpg

This is the one I've been waiting on and I'm glad you gave the camera a workout. I've been wanting to play it since Dawdaddy was telling me about the course. I grew up catching flounder in the river that runs by the course.

It looks great for March.

awesome looking pics, course looked to be in great shape, was that your ball closest to the hole on the last pic??

This is the one I've been waiting on and I'm glad you gave the camera a workout. I've been wanting to play it since Dawdaddy was telling me about the course. I grew up catching flounder in the river that runs by the course.

It looks great for March.

They said it's in the best shape it's been in a few years for this time of year. I'm pretty confident it's in better shape than it was the last time I played it, which was about 5 years ago.

glad you enjoyed the photos. I hope you're able to play it.

Wow, it looks fantastic for right now. It's my favorite course in NC to play and even though I only get to play it once or twice every other year I still love it. Challenging design and it's so beautiful.

edit: I love the par 3 picture. Thats one of the most memorable holes to me, it just always sticks out. I can't remember the hole where the tee box is back behind the marsh and you ride over a little wooden bridge to the left, but I almost killed a man on that hole. He was putting a kayak down in the marsh from his house and I snap hooked a driver big time that was headed right for him. Luckily it hit a wooden post and sounded like a gun went off, otherwise I'm about 110% sure he'd be dead today.

Awesome pictures man.

awesome looking pics, course looked to be in great shape, was that your ball closest to the hole on the last pic??

Mine was marked I think. I tried to take a pic of my ball on the par three that's a huge drop but it's really hard to see it..

Two planks to the left of the hole, about pin high. Yep, missed that putt too!

8be170ca.jpg

looks tight, id be trying to launch into that bunker behind the green lol

looks tight, id be trying to launch into that bunker behind the green lol

it's got a fair amount of depth, but most of the holes don't really take the ball on the fly.. A fair bit of rollout, especially when you float in a wedge on a hole like that.

I actually landed mine right on the front fringe and it one hopped for me.. A few of the guys in my group hit center green and it rolled out to the back.

It is a great course! I think the one hole there, maybe 9 ( was 6 years ago! ) long thin fairway along the river (marsh? ) and a peninsula green the size of a postage stamp - maybe the hardest hole I have played! and we played it in February, and it was still in pretty good shape - would love to play it in prime condition!

Wow, it looks fantastic for right now. It's my favorite course in NC to play and even though I only get to play it once or twice every other year I still love it. Challenging design and it's so beautiful.

edit: I love the par 3 picture. Thats one of the most memorable holes to me, it just always sticks out. I can't remember the hole where the tee box is back behind the marsh and you ride over a little wooden bridge to the left, but I almost killed a man on that hole. He was putting a kayak down in the marsh from his house and I snap hooked a driver big time that was headed right for him. Luckily it hit a wooden post and sounded like a gun went off, otherwise I'm about 110% sure he'd be dead today.

Awesome pictures man.

I'm really glad you enjoyed them. Every time we changed holes I was laughing about how disastrous it would be to try and walk that course.. That thing covers a LOT of ground!

I am trying to think of the hole you're referring to but it's all kind of mush right now haha.. That's a pretty funny story all things considered haha!

I'm really glad you enjoyed them. Every time we changed holes I was laughing about how disastrous it would be to try and walk that course.. That thing covers a LOT of ground!

I am trying to think of the hole you're referring to but it's all kind of mush right now haha.. That's a pretty funny story all things considered haha!

I'd love to walk it one day with a push cart just to be able to take my time and really soak in all the scenery. It's just such a great looking course. It requires some tough shots too.

I'd love to walk it one day with a push cart just to be able to take my time and really soak in all the scenery. It's just such a great looking course. It requires some tough shots too.

Yeah, if you're missing off the tee towards the marsh on a bunch of the holes, you may as well just mark down your max and just enjoy the ride haha!

I do like that many of the holes have some really large landing areas, and are very forgiving if you play a safe shot, but it'll punish you on your next shot for sure.

Loved the pics Canadan, number 9 looks just as fierce in your pics as it does in person. So what's the story, what did each of you shoot on that hole?

Loved the pics Canadan, number 9 looks just as fierce in your pics as it does in person. So what's the story, what did each of you shoot on that hole?

Pretty sure the card read 7-6-6-5.

It was a fierce left to right wind. Everything was feeding directly into the marsh. What a great hole.

Great pictures, thanks for sharing! Way too much trouble for me that is for sure :beat-up:

Great pictures, thanks for sharing! Way too much trouble for me that is for sure :beat-up:

my pleasure! I will say, I was playing the black tees which were 70.9/134, vs my playing partners who played the white tees at 68.4/124, and they were helped enormously on a number of holes. Par 3 differential for a couple were 200 vs 165, 189 vs 134.. Mind you, they had the white tees up a bit so the differential was a bit expanded, but it was absolutely there.

This is hole 18 from my tee boxes. I believe what you can see on the left side of the photo is the next tee box up, which allows you to hit directly over the fairway rather than carrying the marsh the way I had to.

cc72a66e.jpg

I think they did a great job of making the course playable on the forward tees. I think the next time I play there I'll attempt the tips.. That course is probably pretty mean from back there!

That has start it towards the condos and snap hook it by mistake :banghead:

That has start it towards the condos and snap hook it by mistake :banghead:

Last time we played there my uncle snap hooked one on 18 right dead into a condo. Sounded like a shotgun. Luckily he didn't hit a window. It took me a while to stop laughing.

What was the rate for you at this course?

What was the rate for you at this course?

The guys I played with all week have some sort of card that gets them a bunch of solid deals. I believe we paid 40 or somewhere in that realm for this course.

Looks like the standard rate is 105-115.

I am headed here in the morning. I am pretty stoked about this course. What do you suggest white or blue?

I am headed here in the morning. I am pretty stoked about this course. What do you suggest white or blue?

The blue is quite the challenge. We usually play white just because my dad and uncle are now getting a bit older and losing a little bit of distance. It's still nowhere near an easy course from the whites.

The blue is quite the challenge. We usually play white just because my dad and uncle are now getting a bit older and losing a little bit of distance. It's still nowhere near an easy course from the whites.

What handi are you? I am at a 12, what do you think?

What handi are you? I am at a 12, what do you think?

Right around your area. Honestly you could play either one. You'd probably lose a few balls from the blues. There is a lot more marsh you have to take into play from the blues and the par 3's are a good 40-45 yards longer which is usually all carry over trouble. I've always enjoyed the white tees and it's always been a challenge.

Right around your area. Honestly you could play either one. You'd probably lose a few balls from the blues. There is a lot more marsh you have to take into play from the blues and the par 3's are a good 40-45 yards longer which is usually all carry over trouble. I've always enjoyed the white tees and it's always been a challenge.

I might just go white to have a good time. I will see what my brother-in-law says. Thanks man.

Back