KBS Tour C-Taper Shafts

Thanks for the info guys. I think I may wait a bit, and actually try to hit them before I buy them.

I am not opposed to buying on eBay, but shipping to Canada sucks.

If you need some help holler. I am sure my guy will ship to syrup sucker land :act-up:

Got the C-Tapers out on the course yesterday. I was surprised that I still had a pretty high ball flight with some decent spin. As of now I am undecided about the shaft, going to see what a few more rounds show before I make up my mind on them. So far the flight is a bit lower than my old stock shafts that were in my R7's. Just need to see how the JPX Pro/C-Taper combo goes.

Just ordered C-Tapers for my irons and black nickel wedge shafts, so I'll have a full set of dialed shafts all 6.5s. Having them put on at Golftec, which will be more expensive than just having them done at another place that starts with "Golf...", but after talking to the club fitter there about all the extra work he'll do to get this set matched up for me, I feel like it'll be money well spent. My bag analysis/club fit revealed that my clubs were not at all suited to me (too short, too flat a lie, shafts not stiff enough) so the changes should be drastic - and hopefully translate right away to a lower launch and tighter dispersion. Excited to find out!

Last edited:
I can't find C-Tapers anywhere around here. One dude told me "the DG s300's are the lowest launching shaft made". Needless to say I just walked away.

Considering ordering from the Bay, but I only need 4-pw. All the ones I see there are 3-pw.

How does the ball flight compare to the dynamic gold s300? I am a high ball hitter and want lower trajectory. I currently game s300s

How does the ball flight compare to the dynamic gold s300? I am a high ball hitter and want lower trajectory. I currently game s300s

I'm replacing s300s so I'll be able to give you a direct comparison in a few weeks, tops. The clubfitter I worked with says it'll be lower with less spin. How much so, we'll see.

I'm replacing s300s so I'll be able to give you a direct comparison in a few weeks, tops. The clubfitter I worked with says it'll be lower with less spin. How much so, we'll see.

Great. Thanks

Anyone have hard LM data on the difference between these and the KBSTs? In particular wondering the difference in launch angle and max height between similar flexes. Please share if you got it.

Anyone have hard LM data on the difference between these and the KBSTs? In particular wondering the difference in launch angle and max height between similar flexes. Please share if you got it.

I don't have any hard data, but the launch is lower and the max height is significantly lower. I know they have hard data on the KBS site. they compare a bunch of criteria between the major shafts and you can see the data.

That's great - I'll look there, huge thanks!

I don't have any hard data, but the launch is lower and the max height is significantly lower. I know they have hard data on the KBS site. they compare a bunch of criteria between the major shafts and you can see the data.

I came from S300's for the same reason, they have lowered my flight a bit and not to mention they only feel about 1,000,000 times better.

I came from S300's for the same reason, they have lowered my flight a bit and not to mention they only feel about 1,000,000 times better.

Which flex c-taper did you go with ?

I am experimenting with a soft step S on a 7 iron and like the results. I believe I heard that most players will benefit from a soft stepped shaft in the c taper.

I am in between these and the KBS Tours. Both have a fantastic feel and love the look of these. KBS shafts will be in the next clubs I buy.

I had the Tours before the C-tapers and I don't think there's a better feeling/performing shaft than the C-Tapers. Love the ball.flight and feel of them. Best Ive ever owned.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk

My C-Tapers are being put in as we speak. I pick them up Wednesday and do a dynamic fitting, have a lesson, and then am off to play (and watch) golf all weekend in observance of the Masters. By this time next week I hope to have a lot to say about how they changed my dispersion, distance, and ball flight.

After a lot of anticipation, helped in no small part by some of the threads on this forum, I picked up my freshly reshafted irons last Wednesday. Here's the rundown.

Background: After playing golf on and off between 13 and 28, I quit when I moved to Europe for 5 years (other than a round or two per year) and even after I moved back, mountain biking was a bigger priority and I had some chronic back pain to sort out. Once sorted, I got back into golf more seriously - about a year ago. I had bought Adams irons 2 years prior, lightly used, from a local golf shop and while I knew I should have had them fit to me, I just never bothered - first priority was just getting a swing back.

Getting fit: Fast forward to christmas of this year and my girlfriend of 5 months gave me a Golftec swing analysis, bag fitting, and a few lessons as a gift - sweet! I went through those various processes and the clubfitter at the Golftec here in North Vancouver laughed after checking out my clubs. They were all cut at least a half inch below standard (I'm 6'1") and measured between 5.4 and 5.7 (but labeled as stiff so they should have all been 6.0). He said new shafts would literally shave 2-3 strokes off per round since I probably had a hard time hitting these straight (swing issues notwithstanding). I used to play competitive tennis and know how to make a stick and ball connect hard, so they weren't stiff enough, but they were also bent flat - in short he said it was one of the most messed-up sets he'd ever seen. Wow!

Decision time: The clubfitter (his name is Andrew) said that the irons were suitable (Adams Idea Pro - a player's cavity back) and I didn't need to consider changing the heads as long as I liked what I had (I do) so he just looked at what to do with shafts and fit. He had me hit a few (on Miura irons - hitting those may prove expensive in the future) and we zeroed in on the KBS C-Taper. My swing speed is ~108 with the driver and I hit everything high and with a lot of spin, so he recommended the C-Tapers to bring the ball flight down a bit with less spin - reasonable enough. Then came the price tag which was more than I expected. I told him I'd probably get it done, just not right away (I needed to do some research first to make sure I felt the money was well spent). No problem - he bent my irons upright for me and also added one degree of loft (they were all bent one degree strong) so the gaps would be more even. In the meantime, I had a few more lessons, practiced, played a few more rounds, and did some research. From what I learned here and elsewhere, this was a worthwhile investment. Now, I could have bought the shafts from ebay, had them shipped and had them installed somewhere else like Golftown for about $10 each, and saved a bit of coin, but at Golftec they go through extra steps and then are there for you later if you need them re-bent or checked and I just don't have that level of confidence from the big box stores. Plus, since I was already known to the people at Golftec (and more importantly, my swing) I felt that would work out better long term. So, I pulled the trigger. (I deliberately didn't go deep into the process here because you can get that info online and this post is long enough but post away if you have questions).

The job: I called Andrew and ordered the shafts. He also ordered KBS wedge shafts for my 52, 56, and 60. He put me in a 6.5 (stiff+) and after I brought them in, they were ready 2 days later. I immediately hit them each 20-30 times so they could be 'broken in' and then we did a dynamic lie test, confirming what they'd done. They did a little extra bending and voila - my new clubs were ready.

Results: I have now hit my new clubs once on the simulator, taken one lesson, and played three rounds. The KBS claim is 5% lower launch, 5% less spin, and 5% more distance. Now, I am not going to claim to notice 5% less spin or lower launch, and let's be fair - I went from poorly fitted clubs to properly fitted clubs and launch sim data means far less to me than on course performance. Since I never hit them side-by-side I can't make a definite determination. However, I have plenty to say about how my new clubs play.

Distance: First - let's remember that I now have .5" more length on each shaft - that will add distance. Second, they all had lofts increased by 1 degree - that will decrease distance. Dead heat, probably. Stiffer shafts with consistent flex and a different flex pattern, though. And, yes, my swing is getting more refined. Up here in Vancouver, most fairways are still wet and the air is still cool so you need an extra club (at least) on approach shots than when it warms up. The better test was when I went to the Okanagan this weekend and played three rounds (it's warmer and drier). The ball IS flying lower and the trajectory is more piercing. I still hit the ball high but it rises at a constant rate to the apex and then drops - before it would start out climbing in a piercing flight and then balloon up at the end, robbing me of distance. I was never short but the inconsistency of distances was becoming a problem. Sometimes I would catch a 7-iron flush (too flush?) and send it 190-195 (no kidding), other times it would go to my normal distance of 175-180 - not good to have that much variance. Now it is traveling a constant distance, so I can forget about what kind of shaft flex I'll get on each swing and focus on the swing rather than the timing of the kick. Distance this past weekend in what are still cool temps was a half club less than last summer. In short, I probably gained 1/4 - 1/3 distance per club, net (time will tell). I do plan to use Golfshot to dial in my new yardages when it gets a bit warmer.

Dispersion: I play a draw but the main thing I'm working on are my two misses: a high block or a low hook. We all just watched the Masters - if you can control your misses and keep it to one side, you're so much better off. With the new clubs, my draw is more consistent and I'm not leaving them out to the right anymore - my miss right now is a pull, and that is a swing-related issue that I can correct. Even better, on the misses I do have, there is less side spin than before. Wait a minute - that tighter dispersion pattern the clubfitter promised? It's true! Another good indicator is that my divots are more consistent than before, so I know the clubhead is interacting with the turf more consistently. All this adds up to a lot more confidence and better results. I played with only one ball yesterday and only two the day before (a wild course with harsh rough and lots of canyons so this was a good ball control experience for me).

Scoring: I'm long off the tee but do miss both ways, like with my irons, and my putting could certainly be better. But I've had some 74s lately and feel my iron game is a big part of that - if I can hit more greens, it'll do more for my scoring than anything else. This weekend I hit more greens than I normally do, and I also drove the ball into more fairways than normal (I also had my driver shaft aligned - that was $25 well spent!). I was also confident in my ability to hit a fade a few times and had relatively good success - it's been a long time since I bent the ball both ways in a round in a controlled fashion. My first round with the new shafts, I shot a 76 with a double bogey that really should have been a par (mysterious lost ball that should have been on a par 5 green in two) and a few putts (on sanded greens) left an inch short of the cup. So, without really stretching, it could have been 72 - I really didn't make any putts for that 76 (two birdies were based on iron shots hit stiff). Another round was a nasty 86 on punched greens and terribly penal rough, and the third round was an 80, also on punched greens ('tis the season up here) and consequently bad putting. I'll know more about my scoring prognosis in a few more weeks when I have nothing to blame on the greens but I KNOW these clubs are helping. Cannot wait to keep it going.

Feel: They feel great. I could put some adjectives in here but it would be typical of what everyone else says (buttery, velvety, etc). They are smooth, they feel terrific when caught flush and I'm catching it flush now more than ever. Is there much more that needs to be said? To be honest, the old shafts (TT Black Gold in Stiff) felt nice, too, they just didn't fit me and propelled the ball higher, though these new shafts do feel better.

Looks: This is the least important thing to me but the satin constant taper shaft is gorgeous. The wedge shafts with the smoke grey finish are amazing also. Very distinctive, and keeps the glare down. I really do like the custom look of both shafts.

Coles notes: Get a proper clubfit, shafts are extremely important to that process. My new KBS shafts have definitely delivered tighter dispersion, a bit more distance and much more control, all while feeling incredibly smooth and consistent. It is my swing that defines my golf game but the new shafts are making my misses less punitive and more manageable and that's more than I ever expected out of my equipment in the past. Money well spent and it's making the game more fun for me and helping with lower scores. Once I've had a better chance to track GIRs and record my new distance parameters, I'll have a complete idea, but I'm viewing this as a major step in my quest to get that 'cap down a few more strokes this year.

I hope this is helpful. Please fire away with questions. Two other notes - I was considering trying out new drivers or at least shafts but the clubfitter convinced me to just try re-aligning the shaft first, since it would mean a more stable clubface at impact. Because I like the feel of my driver (and consequently the shaft) and already hit it well, I took his advice - now one of my best clubs is even better.

Second note: so impressed with the people at Golftec and their process. Definitely money well spent and I recommend it to anyone who is serious about improving through practice and a methodical approach rather than just bashing balls and praying for better scores.

Glad that you're enjoying them Roggey. Also FWIW, Andrew is a world class club builder. He has people come from all over to have him personally build their clubs. He certainly knows what he's about. Some of the other tech's there, maybe not so much since my experience does not match yours at all for that location.

All in all though, sounds like you're finally set up in a way you like and it's certainly paying off. Congrats!

Glad that you're enjoying them Roggey. Also FWIW, Andrew is a world class club builder. He has people come from all over to have him personally build their clubs. He certainly knows what he's about. Some of the other tech's there, maybe not so much since my experience does not match yours at all for that location.

All in all though, sounds like you're finally set up in a way you like and it's certainly paying off. Congrats!

Thanks. There was another tech there as well who was involved, but Andrew oversaw the whole thing and has been good about answering any questions I had, etc.

Yesterday I hit the C-Taper S side by side with Project X 6.0 in the Taylormade TP MC irons. ball flight and distance was very similar but the C Taper FEELS much better. You still get great feedback but it isn't a jolting feeling like the Project X. C-Tapers will be going in my next set for sure.

i hit these shafts at the outing and GOOD GOD they are amazing. im buying a set and putting them in my R11s asap they lowered my ball flight a good amount and i could finally attack the ball like i want to do. im pretty excited about grabbing these and getting them in and seeing how they feel. i also have been thinking about putting them in my wedges. 55* and 60* anyone have them in their wedges? im looking for some feedback on those. thanks.

i hit these shafts at the outing and GOOD GOD they are amazing. im buying a set and putting them in my R11s asap they lowered my ball flight a good amount and i could finally attack the ball like i want to do. im pretty excited about grabbing these and getting them in and seeing how they feel. i also have been thinking about putting them in my wedges. 55* and 60* anyone have them in their wedges? im looking for some feedback on those. thanks.

Hit up Biggsy. He put them in his 588's.

Awesome that's what I have thanks cookie.

I have these in my MCs and absolutely love them. I am playing the SCOR wedges so they are not in my wedges, but the KBS shafts in the SCOR are great about keeping the ball fought down, but at the same time they actually give me a bit more spin. I love these shafts and they are going into any irons I get in the future. I have a set of i20s on order that have the C-Tapers in them. I can't wait.

Just make sure there soft stepped, mine are not and apparently thats how they are supposed to be played.

I thought they hit the ball higher than expected, which was a nice surprise. For some reason I thought I'd be hitting line drives with them. The C-Taper stiff seemed to flight a little higher than S300's for me, but I thought they felt better. I will say that when I was tired I sort of struggled to get much out of them.

I was too surprised at the ballflight I got from these. They sure felt great and looked badass.

Back