Womens Golf Market Study

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Golf Datatech, LLC (www.golfdatatech.com), the industry's leading independent research firm for consumer, trade and retail golf trends and performance, today unveiled its first-ever Women's Golf Market Study. An independent, non-commissioned study designed to capture important feedback on the female perceptions and experiences from one of golf's most significant growth segments, the Women's Golf Market Study is the most comprehensive report ever developed which details a wide range of attitudes of serious women golfers about the game, the equipment, and the apparel they wear.

"In today's challenging economic climate, where growth in the game of golf is stagnant, the potential to grow the women's market is a higher priority than ever before, and efforts to cultivate and expand this segment are being considered and executed widely across the industry," said Tom Stine, Partner, Golf Datatech, LLC. "As a result of the need to grow the game, we undertook this extensive study so that companies both in and out of the industry can truly understand the perceptions, experiences and buying habits of the all-important serious women's golf sector."

Adds Stine, "While women's golf presents a major growth opportunity for the industry, this study makes it clear that significant roadblocks must be overcome to consistently increase women's participation in the game."

In developing the Women's Golf Market Study, over 1,000 female golfers from Golf Datatech's exclusive database of Serious Golfers (a minimum of 12 rounds per year) participated in a survey regarding their golfing habits and perceptions, which was conducted in November of 2008. While a majority of female respondents to this study live active lifestyles and boast an average household income of six figures, an equal majority cited cost, time and family constraints as reasons preventing them from playing golf more frequently. Beyond those factors, which inhibit play, almost one in three female respondents considered the average golf course to be "a very male oriented place" which inhibits more frequent play.

"While over 50% of the U.S. population is female, less than 25% of total golfers are women," said Stine. "Combine the cost, time and family pressures with their overall perception of the male orientation at the golf course, and it's not surprising that women leave the game as often as they enter. This is ultimately the basis for the women's golf population to be at a near standstill."

Among the key findings of the study were the following, which were related to women's golfing habits, spending on golf, marketing and media habits:

Golfing Habits
Respondents were asked what they enjoy about playing the game and 91% said they like being outdoors, while 82% enjoy the time with friends, 80% are always trying to improve and 79% enjoy the challenge of the game.

When asked to identify the single factor they enjoy best about playing the game, 32% chose the challenge of the game as their primary motivation, while 18% said being with friends is most important.

One in three respondents thinks it "costs too much," while almost half of all respondents said they would be likely to play more golf if it cost less.

21% of respondents disliked the fact that a round of golf takes too long to play, while 40% are constrained by limited leisure time, and 31% work too much to play as much as they would like.

Spending On Golf
The average female respondent estimates they spent slightly less than $700 in the past year on golf equipment, with 18% saying they spent over $1,000. They also estimate they spent an additional $515 on golf apparel, with 14% spending above $1,000. 74% of respondents believe that the technology in golf club designs can significantly improve their play.

When it comes time to purchase new golf clubs, 63% of females take the golf clubs out to a driving range or onto a golf course to try them out prior to purchase, while 58% gather information from their golf professional, 44% research products and trends online, and 43% read golf publications to get information on equipment trends.

Media Habits
55% of respondents said they watch golf or golf related programming on television at least once per week, while 14% watch it three to four times per month. Also, of the respondents who watch golf or golf related programming on television, 94% said they frequently watch the PGA Tour and 80% watch the LPGA.

94% of the respondents use the Internet to look at golf related websites while 80% use it 25% of the time or less to look for golf related content. Among those respondents who use the Internet to gather information about golf and golf related products, 58% use it to get information on golf courses and/or for directions, while 55% get golf equipment pricing, 50% check on equipment specs, 49% get weather information as it relates to golfing, and 42% use the Internet to make tee times.

Among those who are members of at least one online community, 45% are members of Facebook, 34% use LinkedIn, 22% are on MySpace and 15% use YouTube.

While the above represents just a sampling of the survey results from the Women's Golf Market Study, Golf Datatech concludes that, overall, female golf enthusiasts have many of the same needs, wants and desires as their male counterparts, embracing the challenge of the game and the camaraderie created by spending quality time on the links with friends, family and business associates. At the same time, both females and males alike say their frequency of play is constrained by the cost of the game and the time it takes to play.

"To effectively tap into the women's market, golf courses, golf professionals, equipment manufacturers and all other engrained constituencies must make the game more accessible and welcoming to the female player," adds Stine. "This study shows that the women's golf market remains underdeveloped and underserved."

You always hear about how women only comprise X percentage of golfers (this study indicates 25%). But isn't that true across the board with women and sports? I know women are also a significant minority in skiing and snowboarding. And when was the last time you saw a women's pick-up basketball game?

I'd be interested to know the percentage of women participants in other recreational sports, such as tennis, cycling/mountain biking, skiing/snowboarding, softball, etc.

I think everyone here knows that I am all for more women participating in golf (and other sports). But as far as these economic studies go, don't we just have to admit at some point that women simply don't want to participate in sports as much as men? We certainly don't have a problem recognizing that men don't see "shopping" as a recreational activity the way many women do.

In other words, how many women really have an interest in learning to play or playing more if the sport becomes more "female friendly"? Are we talking about a significant growth of the sport, or just a theoretical demographic of players that don't really exist?

Not really on topic, but I have noticed that when we get behind a group that has at least one woman in it, over half the time the woman has the better swing of most of the guys in the group. She may not hit it as far but she's in the fairway more often than the guys are.

Not really on topic, but I have noticed that when we get behind a group that has at least one woman in it, over half the time the woman has the better swing of most of the guys in the group. She may not hit it as far but she's in the fairway more often than the guys are.

I think when women "get into" golf, they really get into it. You don't see many casual female golfers like you do with men.

I read some where that having a weaker swing ties in with a better tempo, timing swing. In other words, more ball control. I see exactly the same thing with alot of women golfers as you have discribed. :comp:

I agree, less women are going to play golf, and that is the way it is. However, since so many companies are geared to men, it would be a good niche for a company to really market to women since they'd have zero competition. (Taking a man's club and throwing a pink flex shaft on it doesn't count as marketing to women. We're not dumb.)

The second shift thing is real. If Hubby wants to take off for his sport, he does. If I want to take off for mine, I need to be sure I have someone watching the kids (often as not, it's not Hubby), make certain dinner is made, etc. etc. Life's just unfair that way.

I believe that woman golfers have a smoother swing, because they don't try and kill the ball. I have played with numerous guys that try to hit the ball as far as possible instead of worrying about placing it in the fairway.

The second shift thing is real. If Hubby wants to take off for his sport, he does. If I want to take off for mine, I need to be sure I have someone watching the kids (often as not, it's not Hubby), make certain dinner is made, etc. etc. Life's just unfair that way.

Well that just sucks. The guy had a part in the kid business. I won't even go into being able to making sure the kids or the guy is fed!!

I believe that woman golfers have a smoother swing, because they don't try and kill the ball. I have played with numerous guys that try to hit the ball as far as possible instead of worrying about placing it in the fairway.

That's true CG, Jacqui rarely tries to kill it and she can drive the ball over 200 yards at times. She probably averages 170-180 but she's almost always in the fairway. A lot more than I am!

Well that just sucks. The guy had a part in the kid business. I won't even go into being able to making sure the kids or the guy is fed!!

Hubby's a renaissance man--wants me in the office full time AND at home full time. The sad thing is, he pretty much gets his wish. As the kids get older, it gets easier.

I agree, less women are going to play golf, and that is the way it is. However, since so many companies are geared to men, it would be a good niche for a company to really market to women since they'd have zero competition. (Taking a man's club and throwing a pink flex shaft on it doesn't count as marketing to women. We're not dumb.)

I think we are starting to see that more an more.

I think there is a lot of self-selection inevitably in female vs. male participation in sport. Maybe it's environment to some degree, but I have a sneaking suspicion it has roots in the general phsylogical differences between the sexes. Title IX notwithstanding.

I think when women "get into" golf, they really get into it. You don't see many casual female golfers like you do with men.

I think part of the reason that you mostly see devoted women golfers is because it is not an easy sport from women to get into. There are doors that women often have to break down at each club they play, with each golfer they play with or at any golf store they walk into. Unless you are serious about the sport you aren't going to put up with all of that just to play once is a while.

I agree with you Sox, to a point. You don't have to play at a "Club". My wife and I have played at various courses, none of them clubs, and she has had no troubles at all.

Sorry, by club I meant course. You absolutely don't have to play at private clubs, but even on your everyday run of the mill course you can face some "misconceptions" about women golfers.

Sorry, by club I meant course. You absolutely don't have to play at private clubs, but even on your everyday run of the mill course you can face some "misconceptions" about women golfers.

Agreed.

Back