Par 5 - 205 Out - Go For It?

In a non-tournament situation, I go for it every time. I'm pretty good with my 5-wood usually, and it carries about 200 so I'd give er a go. In a competition, I lay up unless I've been playing well and have a high confidence. Laying up, I get as close to the hazzard as reasonable; I'm pretty happy with any shot inside 160 yards, but the closer the better. Anything inside 80-90 yards I expect to have a reasonable chance at an up and down.

I'm going for it. I have two clubs that can carry that distance, They don't always go straight though.

It would depend on how I'm playing that day....if I'm playing well I go for it and make sure I carry the water...if I'm not I'm laying up to the 75-100 range and go from there.

205 is a 4 or 5 iron, so I'm going for it. Even if I dunk one in the drink I like my chances of making par.

From 205 out to carry the water I would first want to reach for the 3 wood, choke down a little, and go for it, but my better sense would prevail and I would lay up. If the carry were a little shorter (195-200 yards) so that I could hit a full 5 wood instead then I would go for it because I love my 5 wood and have much more confidence in making that shot.

Exact scenario last week. 200 yard carry to a large island green. 215 Hole and I layed up. I am still kicking myself for that. I hit PW, LW, and hit the LW over the green. I could have hit a hard 4hy or more likely a soft 5 wood. The wind was at my back and I just hit a 290+ yard drive. Heck with the wind I maybe could have hit a 5 iron, it was really gusting. I was not even keeping score. I will be upset with myself for that one for awhile.

Wow... sometimes I hate that we even talk about distance. Seems people get their underwear in wads far too easily. Also, I love the "didnt you start this thread already?"... very subtle.

End rant... I'd go for it. As long as it was a good 230 to the back of the green. Playing a draw with the M3 and letting it fly. Wind or not. Worse Case i walk out with a bogie because of a water shot. I'd rather be on the edge of the water hitting to the green vs laying up then hitting over water. Either way, you're playing to avoid the water and its still a concern either shot.

99% of the time I go for it. That shot is a 4 hybrid for me. I figure if I hit it in the water, chances are I will take a 6 most of the time. Since I don't play that often, the small chance for an eagle is enough to entice me to go for it.

I like my chances of getting a birdie then trying to get up and down to make par. mostly b/c i trust my wedge game a whole hell of a lot more than my long iron game (not that i don't trust it, just, given water in front/surrounding a 205 carry sounds doable, but not the wiser move). stroke a sand/lob wedge from inside a 100 yards and make a putt. do it.

I'd have a go at it. Best case I get eagle or birdie which are bright spots on my card. Worst case is a bogey which I'll have at least a handful of over the course of the day. I think the risk is worth the reward.

I would go for it or the friends I play with would make fun of me. A lot of the time it's how I feel on the hole. Even though water is surrounding the green, how does it look to my eye? Do I feel confident over the ball? But yes, 205 out, that's a 5 iron most of the time so I'm going for it.

Honestly depends on how I am playing on a given day, but if this is hole #1, it is a lay up every time. Also, what is behind the green? Am I safe going long? If so, I will try and fly it and chip back on, thus taking all of the trouble out of play.

Chances are I'm going for it since I would be hitting an iron. But I would have to factor in the size of the green. If it's a small green, I would be more inclined to hit a wedge down there and give me 100 +/- a little into the green, but if the green is average size or better, it's not a question.

Because I have been known to have somewhat poor course management skills, I'd probably go for it. At least last year I would have. And I would probably hit it 50 yards left because I wanted it too bad. This year, one of the things I'll be working on is playing smarter and with that will be laying up more. I need to work on my distances though first. Last year 205 yards would have been my 7 wood if I could hit it straight. I'm hitting the ball much more efficiently now so now I could be hitting a 4 iron or hybrid. I guess it would depend on how I was swinging that day if I felt comfortable with the shot. If not, I'd like to think I'd lay up.

205 yd carry to the front of the green I'd go for it. Especially if I could get away with knocking the ball a little deep.

Always go for it. Like others have said, if it gets wet, I am comfortable with a wedge from 50-100 to try to get up and down for par.

Yes, I go for it. I feel confident in carrying that number and getting a GIR or close enough to get up and down.

Everytime I play one of my favorite courses, I am faced with almost this exact situation. After my drive on the 18th hole, you have the option to go around the lake, or over it. The lake is 195 yards across. Because I usually don't take my drive right to the water, I typically have between 200-230 yards carry. The green is literally on the bank of the water, and there is no rough... so if you only make it by a foot, it rolls back into the water. There are hazards on the left and right of the green. The wind typically plays right to left on this hole, which I don't mind.

The last 2 times I went for it and I birdied it both times. The 2 times prior I layed up and got par. I think I will go for it from now on.

I've been thinking about this a bit since it seems like a pretty good debate. One thing that I figured is that we probably all have different ideas of the way this hole plays out. In my mind, I relate it to the 11th hole on my course, where a miss in the drink leaves me 40 yards out. To me, that's a very reasonable shot to get myself on the green and maybe even up and down. I think it's a pretty good risk, especially because I'd probably bogey the damn thing anyway lol.

so, I had to par 5's today, both have water in front of the green and you cant go long. I was 220 out on one and 225 on another. I birdied them both. Go for it!! haha

205? that's just about the right distance for a perfectly-struck 5 wood.. too far to be sure that i'll get there.. better lay up for this one..

so, I had to par 5's today, both have water in front of the green and you cant go long. I was 220 out on one and 225 on another. I birdied them both. Go for it!! haha
I'm confused....did you lay up or go for them?

I'd go for it. I would hate to go home and wonder the usual "what if" scenarios had I went for it. It's all fun and games anyways...just grip it and rip it.

It really depends on alot of scenerios....

first...how good is my lie....is it a perfect flat lie? or is it downhill or side hill?

second....wind...is it still, blowing against me...with me......cross?

third .....you have said there is water on the front and the sides...but how wide is my target? is it a narrow 10 yard green or a wide open 60 yard green?

fourth ...how do I stand in my round...if I am playing someone am I up or down....do I NEED to make birdie??

The 205 distance is not the problem it's all the other things that go into it.

Back