What Would You Shoot at Augusta National?

I asked Steve Flesch via twitter what he thought players with handicaps of scratch, 6, 12 and 18 would shoot under tourney conditions:

@southpaw444: The 12 and 18 would shoot 100. The 6 around 85 and the scratch 80...maybe higher.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

I asked Steve Flesch via twitter what he thought players with handicaps of scratch, 6, 12 and 18 would shoot under tourney conditions:

@southpaw444: The 12 and 18 would shoot 100. The 6 around 85 and the scratch 80...maybe higher.

That's pretty honest and coming from a tour player, you have to really consider it being close to the truth.

Hell, I would think an 18 would do friggin cartwheels to shoot 100 at Augusta....Hell, I would do cartwheels to shoot 100 at Augusta

What does he know. I'm shooting 80 based on my belief I will do well. Plus I hit the ball high. Yet not far or straight enough.

That's pretty honest and coming from a tour player, you have to really consider it being close to the truth.

I don't know, I doubt most of us have putted on greens that fast with that much undulation. I have putted on greens around 12 before, but it is on a course without as much breaks as Augusta. When you factor in the pucker factor just because you are playing Augusta for the first time I would think that alone will cost you a few strokes also.

I still think the thick rough would get me much worse than the greens would. I have played decently fast greens, and while obviously I dont' think I would have a banner day on the greens at Augusta, I think I would survive. I am however used to the rough being a minor inconvenience, I think the first time I was set down in that stuff the pros play from, I would just sit down and cry. I would have a much much harder time putting the ball on the green from the rough in my usual fashion.

First, I'd probably shoot my sanity. After that, I'd probably have a WD because of too many lost balls!!

Hoping in the 90s

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

From what I have heard and read, the "average" golfer would have a VERY hard time breaking 110.. As others have said, the greens would be the killer..

Would be fun to try though..

Didn't know that.

Im curious though. If it was non-tourney conditions do you all think your scores would be lower? Personally I think so but not by much

no much substance behind it, but that came from the guy that invented the slope system

http://golf.about.com/od/majorchampionships/f/augusta_ratings.htm

In 2009, Dean Knuth - the inventor of the Slope System - paid a return visit to Augusta National, following 20 years of course tweakings. In his 2009 findings, Knuth calculated that Augusta's Course Rating was 78.1 and its Slope Rating was 137. In 2009, that Course Rating was still among the 10 highest in the U.S., according to Golf Digest.

Easily over 110. I do not hit the ball long and as a lefty have trouble working the ball right to left without hooking it too far. I would need Bear Grylls to caddy for me.

To be honest, I could care less what I shot, I'm playing Augusta National!!! I'd shoot well over 100, no doubt.

Can I throw out a thought?

It is a long course as the pros play it, but the fairways run, and there is short, very playable rough. The par 3's other than #4 are 155-180, and three of the par 5's are pretty reachable in two - #8 is longer and uphill. The par 4's are now brutally long, and that's where strokes would be lost, but not 10-20 strokes. Yes the greens are lightning, but also incredibly true, which helps one make putts, especially those under 8 feet. The killer is wind - all bets are off if the wind is 20 mph, and because of the elevation changes thru the course it is never a one-direction wind, but a swirling unpredictable wind.

To be honest, I could care less what I shot, I'm playing Augusta National!!! I'd shoot well over 100, no doubt.

I have to agree with this. I would no doubt try to play my best game, but I would be more on just taking in the experience of getting a chance to play the course and see what the Pro's see.

I'd shoot some pool. :laughing:

I really have no clue, except to say that it would likely not be a good score.

On the Master website it gives a lot of the pro's scoring averages.

Very few pros have under par scoring averages besides repeat winners for the most part. I think that should tell you something.

I have played several courses a day or two after the PGA stop there, played from the same tees and with the grandstands, etc. I am always about 8-10 strokes more than normal, at least.

My goal would be to shoot in the 90s at Augusta, and then I would likely have to revise that goal at the turn.

There are a few magazine articles on this. Most say expect at around 20 shots on top of you index on a really good day and 30+ if you're not hitting the ball well.

It's not just the length or the speed of the greens that a lot fo pros talk about when they get asked about amateurs playing the course. It's course knowledge. There are a few places that if you hit in the wrong place, you can expect a few extra shots.

This is one of them.

http://www.linksmagazine.com/best_of_golf/how-to-play-augusta-national-golf-course

(May have missed this if it has already been posted)

Rory shot 80 last year and he's one of the best golfers in the world. 100 might even be a reach for a 12 index.

I believe I'd break 100 and get close to 90 with a good caddie to direct me around the course - I hit it long enough but the difficulty is being on the wrong side of the hole around the greens. THere is a reason why 1st time masters contestants don't usually fare too well!

I will be looking this year to see what last place player shoots.

TapAhoy!

Long course and long rough wouldn't bother me, but the fast and hard greens would kill me. I shoot 70s regularly on good courses, but I would be thrilled to break 100. If I stayed out of trouble (a HUGE if), I bet I could get a few pars on the shorter 4s and 5s. If I averaged 2.5 putts per hole, and my wedge game was on, I think I might have a chance at sniffing 90. I would also bet huge that I'd be over 108.

Back