Cleveland Classic Driver - THP Preview Thread

Im surprised there are no places near you that have a LH head you can try.

Dude, they're on back order. Apparently Cleveland is moving the crap out of these.

Dude, they're on back order. Apparently Cleveland is moving the crap out of these.

They really are. I have seen more people hit these and like them than possibly any driver since the original R9 from TaylorMade.

Now I wish I had sent you my Classic to try out for a bit...

Its crazy. Apparently Cleveland literally ran out of certain RH and both LH heads so they had to produce more. That's awesome. My shop does have a lefty coming they just don't know when and you know the time constraint we're working with. I have no qualm going stock, especially if you recomend it to me.

Its crazy. Apparently Cleveland literally ran out of certain RH and both LH heads so they had to produce more. That's awesome. My shop does have a lefty coming they just don't know when and you know the time constraint we're working with. I have no qualm going stock, especially if you recomend it to me.

I just dont know. I like the stock setup. Lets go through some things that might help. Last low spinning driver you played was the R11 I believe. With the standard shaft, do you remember your launch and spin numbers?

They really are. I have seen more people hit these and like them than possibly any driver since the original R9 from TaylorMade.

There was group from Mass at the course today and three of them had the classic

I just dont know. I like the stock setup. Lets go through some things that might help. Last low spinning driver you played was the R11 I believe. With the standard shaft, do you remember your launch and spin numbers?

Yeah, I had the Fubuki Alpha 60 series in stiff flex in the R11. #'s from that were pretty dang good actually. What Miyazaki would offer similar characteristics to the Alpha 60? The Silver or White?

Give me a different shaft. Its one of the few I never spent a ton of time with.

Give me a different shaft. Its one of the few I never spent a ton of time with.

Anything like the RUL 60 in stiff flex?

Anything like the RUL 60 in stiff flex?

Check out their catalog and they add flex code to other brands. I could really see you in a Miyazaki Blue perhaps with the Classic. That is merely a guess though. You hit a high ball, so I am not sure I would go white. Blue, or C. Kua or since you did love the Indigo you could go that route, but I would definitely go 10* or higher then.

http://www.clevelandgolf.com/pdfs/2012_Custom_Catalog.pdf

Check out their catalog and they add flex code to other brands. I could really see you in a Miyazaki Blue perhaps with the Classic. That is merely a guess though. You hit a high ball, so I am not sure I would go white. Blue, or C. Kua or since you did love the Indigo you could go that route, but I would definitely go 10* or higher then.

JB, how does the Classic head compare to the R11 head? I'm trying to use what I've been hitting in the R11 as a baseline for the Classic. I'm pretty sure that I'll go with a 290 in 10.5 loft, just trying to figure out which shaft to go with.

There is a big demo day on Thursday about 45 minutes south of me with all of the major companies, I'm going there with the hopes that Cleveland will have their entire fitting cart there so that I can get fit into a Classic driver and some other clubs.

Less spin.
Larger overall surface area for impact.
More forgiveness.
Lower launch combination at standard.
Better sound (personal).

Thanks for the link. I was looking at the 61S Blue and comparing it to the Alpha 60 in Stiff and they look like a very similar type of shaft.

The Blue is one of my favorite shafts for my game ever created. Absolutely love it.

So coming from a high spin head ( TM Superfast ) which I hit so so, miss is a fade or hard pull. How does the low spin head of the classic compare? I have hit it at GG and had decent numbers, feels very good and looks good to. The SF is the stock shaft.

So coming from a high spin head ( TM Superfast ) which I hit so so, miss is a fade or hard pull. How does the low spin head of the classic compare? I have hit it at GG and had decent numbers, feels very good and looks good to. The SF is the stock shaft.

It would be hard to compare VA, without seeing you swing. It is going to be lower spin and lower launching without a doubt.

It would be hard to compare VA, without seeing you swing. It is going to be lower spin and lower launching without a doubt.

Will have to hit it with you at the outing. I was thinking the Kusala White would be sweet.

Will have to hit it with you at the outing. I was thinking the Kusala White would be sweet.

Sure thing. I will be out there all day with everybody.

ugh, I'm having a shaft selection issue. I sure wish I had the chance to at least try this driver with the stock shaft. Mostly b/c I think it looks awesome in this driver. I may go on a Classic quest today.

ugh, I'm having a shaft selection issue. I sure wish I had the chance to at least try this driver with the stock shaft. Mostly b/c I think it looks awesome in this driver. I may go on a Classic quest today.

For what its worth, we seem to have similar driver characteristics and likings. Similar SS and stock shot (fade). I love the G20 and got great numbers out of the R11/Fubuki Alpha combo. I didn't care for the stock shaft in the Classic at all. While the Black in the 310 tour launched to low, the feel was much much better. I would certainly be looking to go Kusala line if I was ordering a Classic.

Not sure if the info will help at all, but thought I would throw it out there.

For what its worth, we seem to have similar driver characteristics and likings. Similar SS and stock shot (fade). I love the G20 and got great numbers out of the R11/Fubuki Alpha combo. I didn't care for the stock shaft in the Classic at all. While the Black in the 310 tour launched to low, the feel was much much better. I would certainly be looking to go Kusala line if I was ordering a Classic.

Not sure if the info will help at all, but thought I would throw it out there.

That's very helpful and thanks for your input. Personally, I'm seriously leaning towards the Blue Series. I've always liked the Black line but fear it might not be the perfect combo with this driver head.

TC having seen your swing and ball flight, and having hit this driver, I don't think the stock shaft would fit you at all. Just my 2 cents, I do however think that if you put a Kusala blue in this head, you would hit bombs!!!! With the mid ball flight of the Blue, and the low spin head of the classic, with your natural high ball hitting, I think would be an awesome combination. Just my thoughts. I wouldn't want to put a black in this head, and I think you would have too high a launch angle with both the silver and the white.

TC having seen your swing and ball flight, and having hit this driver, I don't think the stock shaft would fit you at all. Just my 2 cents, I do however think that if you put a Kusala blue in this head, you would hit bombs!!!! With the mid ball flight of the Blue, and the low spin head of the classic, with your natural high ball hitting, I think would be an awesome combination. Just my thoughts. I wouldn't want to put a black in this head, and I think you would have too high a launch angle with both the silver and the white.

Gracias breezey! I am hearing a lot of the same things from my Tour Rep ('s husband). I need to decide if I want 10.5* or 9* first and foremost. I reckon the 10.5* would pair nicely with the Black and the 9* with the Blue. At least that's what my el capitan thinks. Which I appreciate his help. Immensely.

Back