Buck and Papa Bucks Putter Rack

Buckjob

My Friend's Call Me Drew
Reaction score
Handicap
Well as some of you may know i have been gathering quite a bit of nice putters lately and i honestly do not have anywhere to keep them all so i was thinking about trying to build a nice putter rack to keep them on. Here in lies the problem im sure i could build one i mean i know how to use tools and stuff but theres a lot of things i would want to do and i couldn't do it alone such as engraving and some other things i just am not all that comfortable with. So i decided to ask my dad to help me build it for a couple reasons, first off my father is amazing when it comes to building things especially wood working he has built about 10 Kentucky long rifles by hand and a set of dueling pistols with amazing woodcarving and engraving in them. after asking him the other day He told me hes glad we are finally getting a chance to do some stuff cause he has over 100 woodworking tools and he thought i should know how to use them. i guess he likes tools like i like putters.... The other big reason is that i really wanted to spend some quality time with my dad.... My father has had liver cancer for over a year now and it hasn't been going really well of late so i thought this would be a great time to spend with him and do something he enjoys and ill have something i can always cherish knowing we built it together. My dad is really a great guy, He always supported me with my golf and helped me practice when i was younger. i remember he used to cut a fairway and green in the field behind our house even when the grass was over a foot high so i could hit balls and shag them later. My dad used to play golf and even when i was younger he was always so proud of me, (prob cause i beat him even back then) and even though he hasn't played for years now he is always interested in hearing how i am progressing. So anyway After spending some time with him recently to discuss our ideas and take some measurements, he's really excited and we are planning on starting tomorrow after he finishes his Chemotherapy and prob work on it most of the day saturday unless he isn't feeling well. We already bought the wood that we are using, we picked out red oak it looks great. My dad and i both ended up drawing rough drafts of what we thought would work and got together to bounce ideas off each other and we pretty much finalized the idea of what we are gonna do. The Putter Rack we are gonna build is gonna be pretty big cause i already have a lot of putters but this should hold approx 20 putters, 21-27 headcovers depending on what design looks better and about 12 balls or ball markers/divot tools. Heres a pic of my rough draft feel free to post some ideas of other things we could add or things that might make it better. i'm just glad i'm able to spend some time with my pops since we always didn't see eye to eye when i was younger but i guess when you grow up a lot of stuff changes and you realize whats important in life. Anyway ill be taking some pics with the progress and the finished product whenever that may be. it may be a little while since ive never carved wood or anything like that before so guess we will see how it goes.

DSC00250.jpg

That looks fantastic! Looks like you've thought of everything. What a great thing to do with your dad. You will cherish it and your memories of building it together with him. I can't wait to see the finished project.

That sounds like such a cool project for both you and your dad to enjoy. The drawing looks great and I can't wait to see this project progress and the finished product is going to be awesome! Make sure to take a bunch of pics throughout the project!

WOW, what a cool project!

Awesome idea. Now all you need is a putting green in front of it.

First and foremost, I think it's awesome that you found something you can do with your dad. I too have a love for both Golf and Woodworking. I hope that someday my son will choose to invite me into his world, and himself into mine at the same time. The most important thing to "get" out of this project, is time spent with the old man. Relish in it, take a brazillion pictures, and work hard to imprint this time in your memory.

Awesome idea Buck? Really like the designs you put together. Hope you have a great time building this with your Pops. Hoping this time together sets him on a good path to recovery!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

You can always make more money, but you can't make more time. Great way to spend time with your dad. It will be a great project.

Very cool project you are doing with your dad. The design looks incredible, I think this is gonna have some of us speechless when done. Looking forward to seeing the progress pics!

Very cool project you are doing with your dad. The design looks incredible, I think this is gonna have some of us speechless when done. Looking forward to seeing the progress pics!

Drawing it is the easy part building it is another thing. Lol yeah it should come out nice. Gonna take my time with it and do it right.

That's really awesome Buckjob.. I will for sure be watching this one. The only idea i would say is maybe a peg above each putter the 2 side racks for the head cover that goes with that putter. It might not look right but just an idea.

That's really awesome Buckjob.. I will for sure be watching this one. The only idea i would say is maybe a peg above each putter the 2 side racks for the head cover that goes with that putter. It might not look right but just an idea.

Im tossing a couple ideas around still. The problem is the putter grips might interfere with the head covers. Something I'll have to look at once we start a little. Thanks for the ideas though.

fantastic idea. I wish I had the tools to build neat things like that. Good luck, have fun and take lots of pics!

Very nice design you have there, certainly beats the crap out of all my putters crammed in to a den caddy.

got to my pops house today around 3 and im just getting home we took an hour break for dinner with my mom which was nice. We were working in my dads shed where he keeps all his stuff its about 40 by 20 feet we built it like 10 years ago so my dad would have a place to work on his "projects" and hes got a ton of tools and stuff in there and a nice workbench and stuff. its getting kinda cramped but hes got a few projects going on right now. Anyway today was kinda boring just a lot of measuring and cutting wood for almost 7 hours got a lot of time to talk to my dad but measuring and cutting isn't a lot of fun, but i got back into a good flow with using everything. been quite a while since i was using some of the tools and saws and stuff. got almost everything cut down for the 2 outside racks today gotta figure out what carving and stuff i wanna do on those and if i am doing any inlays.... i think i am gonna do some brass inlays in the wood i think it will look good with a dark stain when its all done. well wanted to update my progress and throw up a couple pics but im jumping in the shower and going to bed after looking online for a few ideas quick. back at it tomorrow morning prob for the whole day again as long as my dads doing ok. here are a few pics i took. nothing great yet like i said measurements and cutting down wood most of the day today and working out a few kinks.

Me and my pops..... the saw dust was crazy today!
DSC00252.jpg

me cutting wood down
DSC00253.jpg

my dad testing his measurments before cutting the good wood
IMG_0993.jpg

some of the wood we cut... also routed some of it for where the putter heads will rest against.
IMG_0992.jpg

pops cutting the ends with the band saw took a while to make a design we both liked that was original.
IMG_0994.jpg

Great idea for a project Buck and an awesome way for you to spend some quality time with your father. Can't wait to see the final product.

Great stuff Buck and Papa Buck. Can't wait to see the end result.

Great looking start buck! Glad to hear you guys were able to get started so soon.

Team Hackers tapping!

Cool shop, nice start.

Awesome stuff bro!!! Great way to spend some quality time with your dad!

^^^^^^ I Tapped That.....On My iPad ^^^^^^

Awesome bucky! Your pops has some serious equipment. I reckon I used to work wood a lot more than I do these days. It's definitely an art form. I cannot wait to see this when it's done.

Awesome bucky! Your pops has some serious equipment. I reckon I used to work wood a lot more than I do these days. It's definitely an art form. I cannot wait to see this when it's done.

yeah hes got every tool you could ever need honestly its kinda ridiculous its good to work with him cause theres so many that theres still a lot that i still dunno what they are for and how to use them properly. Heres my dads real passion i don't have any pics of the Kentucky long rifles that he does but he made one set of flint lock dueling pistols and i currently own them and i will never sell them. they are amazing and he built them completely by hand. These are sterling silver and curly maple its actually a diseased tree that makes some really nice curved patterns in the wood. he uses it a lot on his more expensive guns that he builds.

CIMG0734.jpg

Good gawd dude! Your pops knows what he's doing. I'm not really a gun person, but those look awesome. I have a feeling you're going to have a badass putter/headcover rack when this is all said and done. Glad you get that time with your pops too!

yeah hes got every tool you could ever need honestly its kinda ridiculous its good to work with him cause theres so many that theres still a lot that i still dunno what they are for and how to use them properly. Heres my dads real passion i don't have any pics of the Kentucky long rifles that he does but he made one set of flint lock dueling pistols and i currently own them and i will never sell them. they are amazing and he built them completely by hand. These are sterling silver and curly maple its actually a diseased tree that makes some really nice curved patterns in the wood. he uses it a lot on his more expensive guns that he builds.

CIMG0734.jpg

damn dude. He built those completely by hand? That is just sick. I need a moment.

Lowes run for more wood stain and some other stuff. Got the pieces all cut and sanded for the 2 end racks prob throw them together when we get back and start the middle. It's funny how small it actually is set up the total length is only 60" middle is gonna be tall though trying to cut down the height a little. Got a few ideas for that.

Back