The Official Tiger Woods Thread

Tiger and Sergio should emulate Bobby Jones. No way he would throw clubs in majors or tear up his scorecard and quit the tournament in the middle of a round at The Open at St. Andrews.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

I would never fire an employee for letting their emotions getting the better of them, unless they did something that actually caused problems.

Some may call it a temper tantrum, I call it a release of emotions from having a bad day.

Well we know the PGA isn't going to fire him, because the tour would be hurting with the lack of money that he brings in. Now I am not saying the Tour should not fine him, but come on what he did really isn't a big deal.

Have you ever watched college or professional sports, these guys all do this when having a bad day.
Maybe you can do that in the accounting world, but in my industry, that's a no go. If myself or an employee acted like that, I would call that conduct unbecoming of a professional or behavior that is detrimental to the company, and they would be looking for another job.

Tiger and Sergio should emulate Bobby Jones. No way he would throw clubs in majors or tear up his scorecard and quit the tournament in the middle of a round at The Open at St. Andrews.

The only problem with this analogy is when Bobby Jones said he would change, he did. He was also a child compared to Tiger when he did it. You might note how Bobby Jones was revered by the R & A. I've not noticed the same adulation for Tiger.

Bobby Jjones grew up as he got older. Tiger has grown down.

Kevin

You know the difference between Jones and Sergio/Woods? One realized his ignorance and changed it. The other two gave the best lip service since Heidi Fleiss.

Or could it be, as Ben Crenshaw said yesterday, that Jones was told if he threw another club he was no longer welcome to play?

Or could it be, as Ben Crenshaw said yesterday, that Jones was told if he threw another club he was no longer welcome to play?

I think was referring to the 1921 US Am when Jones threw his club in the direction of his bag, it took a bounce and hit a woman in the leg. However there is no record of the "supposed" letter written by former USGA President George Walker, who wasn't even President at the time of the incident to Jones.

Check out The Immortal Bobby: Bobby Jones And The Golden Age Of Golf by Ron Rapoport for a better retelling. I think it's on Google Books now.

I think was referring to the 1921 US Am when Jones threw his club in the direction of his bag, it took a bounce and hit a woman in the leg. However there is no record of the "supposed" letter written by former USGA President George Walker, who wasn't even President at the time of the incident to Jones.

Check out The Immortal Bobby: Bobby Jones And The Golden Age Of Golf by Ron Rapoport for a better retelling. I think it's on Google Books now.

You rock.

Kevin

When Tiger first burst on the scene I loved watching him play, he was something different than we've ever seen before and it was refreshing and amazing to watch. Then he started to dominate shortly after that and I was among the crowd that started to grow tired of watching Tiger win. This was about the time that we saw Phil Mickelson come so agonizingly close to winning a major (particularly The Masters) and I really started to pull hard for him to get over that hump. Then in 1999 and 2000 when Tiger basically started to really re-write the record books I began to realize that every time he teed his ball up in a major we were witnessing golf history (or so I thought at the time). I likened it to being able to watch Ben Hogan and Jack Nicklaus in their prime and just enjoyed the opportunity to watch him compete. All the while we overlooked his on course fits and all around horrible attitude toward those very people that supported what he was doing, the fans. After his debacle over the last couple of years it's been basically a wait until he gets his mojo back and he'll be back and better than ever, he's just too good not to. We were promised that he would improve his on course behavior and it just hasn't happened. I have 2 daughters who are really starting to watch and enjoy playing golf more and more and when they see crap like Tiger did this week at the Masters over and over again it was just disgusting. Never mind that he was playing like a hack, he was acting like a spoiled 14 year old punk who you'd like to slap right across his face. How could I root for Tiger when he's acting like that over guys like Matt Kuchar or Phil Mickelson who are the epitome of class with the fans? I'm done boys. I am out, 100% officially out of the Tiger corner. I hope he gets his game back because the game of golf and THP just booms when he does. But you will not see me pulling for that disgrace of a human being again.

When Tiger first burst on the scene I loved watching him play, he was something different than we've ever seen before and it was refreshing and amazing to watch. Then he started to dominate shortly after that and I was among the crowd that started to grow tired of watching Tiger win. This was about the time that we saw Phil Mickelson come so agonizingly close to winning a major (particularly The Masters) and I really started to pull hard for him to get over that hump. Then in 1999 and 2000 when Tiger basically started to really re-write the record books I began to realize that every time he teed his ball up in a major we were witnessing golf history (or so I thought at the time). I likened it to being able to watch Ben Hogan and Jack Nicklaus in their prime and just enjoyed the opportunity to watch him compete. All the while we overlooked his on course fits and all around horrible attitude toward those very people that supported what he was doing, the fans. After his debacle over the last couple of years it's been basically a wait until he gets his mojo back and he'll be back and better than ever, he's just too good not to. We were promised that he would improve his on course behavior and it just hasn't happened. I have 2 daughters who are really starting to watch and enjoy playing golf more and more and when they see crap like Tiger did this week at the Masters over and over again it was just disgusting. Never mind that he was playing like a hack, he was acting like a spoiled 14 year old punk who you'd like to slap right across his face. How could I root for Tiger when he's acting like that over guys like Matt Kuchar or Phil Mickelson who are the epitome of class with the fans? I'm done boys. I am out, 100% officially out of the Tiger corner. I hope he gets his game back because the game of golf and THP just booms when he does. But you will not see me pulling for that disgrace of a human being again.

Well said Jake! But you know you are still in TW's corner. hehe

Nobody puts Jake in a corner.

Let him do what he wants, who are we to judge? I don't understand why people get so upset of what other people are doing. So he kicked a club, did it hurt anyone? To me it showed he his human. He is doing his job and at the time isn't doing it very well. So he let his emotions go and had a reaction. I have had bad reactions thousands of times at work.
If this was his first time then maybe we'd be going easier on him. But this is part of a long history of acting like a fool and I think it's setting a horible example for young golfers and I'm basically tired of watching a grown man act like my 3 year old.

Jake won't cheer for him, but TW still makes his fantasy roster. :alien:

Tiger is a silly child. I can't even fathom his perspective on life. I have no idea how to even begin to "put myself in his shoes." It bottles the mind.

Well said Jake. Im starting to dislike him more and more too and as a golfer not just a person. Id been holding onto a certain like for Tiger the golfer because of all the great shots I once saw him hit but now its getting tired and old. Im about done and all out of support for him too.

Wonder what excuses he come up with this time?

I watched each of his interviews after his rounds and he seemed like a real person during those and then I realized after watching him on the course, that its all a facade. I still think he is a great golfer and would love to see him win simply because he does things with a golf club, on a golf course (for clarification) that I could never dream of. With that said, as a human and a professional he sucks.

Right freaking on Jake!

I just want to point out something to you guys comparing TW/Sergio to BJ. Bobby Jones was a non racist and created a club that didn't allow blacks and still doesn't allow women.
His accomplishment as a golfer are well documented but his off course beliefs never seem to come into play.
My point is not to soil the name or image of Mr. jones but to point out that no one is above reproach. We, including me, condemn TW for his actions on and off the course and are quick to pile on. But think if an individual such as Jones existed today, we wouldn't tolerate it. A wrong is a wrong no matter who is doing it.

I was home Friday watching "Live From the Masters" on GC prior to Tiger's round and caught an interesting perspective from Brandel Chamblee. They cut to a shot of Tiger warming up on the range. He would hit a shot, and Sean Foley would step in and talk to him about it every time. Chamblee pretty much ripped Tiger about how ridiculous and pathetic that was. Tiger is an athlete, perhaps the greatest ever to play the game. He said it was akin to a coach talking to Michael Jordan during warmups for the NBA finals reminding him to keep his elbow in during a dunk. That Tiger has become a mechanic rather than a golfer. He is obsessed with the perfect swing rather than actually playing the game of golf. He's too worried about the swing rather than the shot. He should trust and use his instincts more rather than worry about hypothetical golf concepts like muscle memory time and some other crazy stuff he's been working on with Foley.

I got thinking about that and I think he's on to something. Take Bubba's awesome hook shot during the playoff. The dude felt the shot, and just made it happen. He's not trying to recreate some perfect memory of a swing from the range. That's impressive skill, not the rote memorization concept Tiger seems to be embracing when it comes to playing.

Think I'm pretty much off the Tiger train as well. He and I were born days apart and from my standpoint I can really see the immaturity for our age. I threw clubs and swore, but that was when I was 15. Grow up, TW. There's a lot of players out there right now that are making you look really, really bad with their skills and class.

Jake it is so funny but I was trying to gather my thoughts to post something pretty much dead on with what you posted. What a miserable human being he is. Put me in the hater camp now fellas. I love to watch greatness. I used to think I could overlook his flaws as a human being just because we were watching the Babe Ruth of golf. After this weekend I'm done and I hope he does not sniff Jacks record. What an asshat he was. Plus that was a pathetic kick of the club. If he had any balls he would have dumped the club in the lake

A wrong is a wrong no matter who is doing it.

This is the best line said in a while. Now I agree about Jones, but we do have to remember it was a different time and things were accepted at different levels. Not the right way mind you, but the toleration, while absurd and wrong, was just that, tolerated.

A wrong is a wrong, you are dead right and it goes back to the excuse that "others do it too" and how crazy that is.

I dont think racism or race is an issue here or was an issue nor do I think it has any bearing on opinions about Tiger or his game or antics. Am I misunderstanding?

I just want to point out something to you guys comparing TW/Sergio to BJ. Bobby Jones was a non racist and created a club that didn't allow blacks and still doesn't allow women.
His accomplishment as a golfer are well documented but his off course beliefs never seem to come into play.
My point is not to soil the name or image of Mr. jones but to point out that no one is above reproach. We, including me, condemn TW for his actions on and off the course and are quick to pile on. But think if an individual such as Jones existed today, we wouldn't tolerate it. A wrong is a wrong no matter who is doing it.

Sorry but you can not compare the 1920s to now. ESPECIALLY in the south. Augusta has the money and power to run their "private" course as they wish. If the golf world was so offended they would try and move the MASTERS elsewhere.. The PGA knows if the do try to move it, it is for all intents and purposes,, it's over.

Back