The Official Tiger Woods Thread

I just want to point out something to you guys comparing TW/Sergio to BJ. Bobby Jones was a non racist and created a club that didn't allow blacks and still doesn't allow women.
His accomplishment as a golfer are well documented but his off course beliefs never seem to come into play.
My point is not to soil the name or image of Mr. jones but to point out that no one is above reproach. We, including me, condemn TW for his actions on and off the course and are quick to pile on. But think if an individual such as Jones existed today, we wouldn't tolerate it. A wrong is a wrong no matter who is doing it.

Well put, Mr. Kong. I have always tried to overlook Tigers flaws and just appreciate his golf, but like Chunky, after this weekend I am having a hard time doing that. He is such a big baby, and his attitude and actions are starting to speak louder than his accomplishments. Everyone has off weeks, but throwing the tantrums like he did this past weekend is really turning me off to even wanting to watch him. He has no respect for the game, the course, and the other players when he does that. If golf started implementing a suspension system for breaking rules similar to what the NFL or NBA does Tiger would never be playing. Matter of fact that would be a great idea! Maybe it would force him to calm down a little bit if he thinks he wants to keep playing to break Jacks records.

On another note I was kinda glad on Sunday that they pretty much showed NO coverage of him at all until his final putt on 18. It was great to show the players who actually mattered in the tournament.

I dont think racism or race is an issue here or was an issue nor do I think it has any bearing on opinions about Tiger or his game or antics. Am I misunderstanding?

I see a few making it a race issue. It's not. It's an attitude and arrogance issue..

jmho

Jake it is so funny but I was trying to gather my thoughts to post something pretty much dead on with what you posted. What a miserable human being he is. Put me in the hater camp now fellas. I love to watch greatness. I used to think I could overlook his flaws as a human being just because we were watching the Babe Ruth of golf. After this weekend I'm done and I hope he does not sniff Jacks record. What an asshat he was. Plus that was a pathetic kick of the club. If he had any balls he would have dumped the club in the lake
After this weekend I don't think there's a snowball's chance in hell he sniffs that record anyway to be honest with you! Asshat....perfect name for him.

Sorry but you can not compare the 1920s to now. ESPECIALLY in the south. Augusta has the money and power to run their "private" course as they wish. If the golf world was so offended they would try and move the MASTERS elsewhere.. The PGA knows if the do try to move it, it is for all intents and purposes,, it's over.

I see and understand your point. Racist we're excepted back in the day so he was just doing what the majority did. As for a private doing what they want. Please go talk to Shoal Creek, no more PGA events over their no blacks policy.
My quote was not to bring race into how people view TW but to bring to light that we in the golf world revere Bobby Jones as one of the all time greats despite who he was a person. he is spoken of with great respect and applauded all the time. His views were excepted, does that make it right, hell no. I don't condone what TW does, did or will do, it's an embarrassment but it is who he is and has been since the beginning of his career. He throw clubs, spit on greens, ignored fans, and all stuff we can't stand and now it's not cool to like him so the band wagon of 'haters' grows larger. That is fine and I walking slowly behind it because but I saw glimpses of good in the man at a close range and I think he can still make it right. My gut tells me I will be proven wrong but I'm kinda loyal like that.
I wonder if in 5 to 10 years if he turns it around will opinions change or has a portion of the golfing public just completely turned their back on the guy. Rhetorical question not looking for responses.

I see a few making it a race issue. It's not. It's an attitude and arrogance issue..

jmho

Just because racist is used in a post doesn't make it about race. The term was used in a historical sense.

I see and understand your point. Racist we're excepted back in the day so he was just doing what the majority did. As for a private doing what they want. Please go talk to Shoal Creek, no more PGA events over their no blacks policy.
My quote was not to bring race into how people view TW but to bring to light that we in the golf world revere Bobby Jones as one of the all time greats despite who he was a person. he is spoken of with great respect and applauded all the time. His views were excepted, does that make it right, hell no. I don't condone what TW does, did or will do, it's an embarrassment but it is who he is and has been since the beginning of his career. He throw clubs, spit on greens, ignored fans, and all stuff we can't stand and now it's not cool to like him so the band wagon of 'haters' grows larger. That is fine and I walking slowly behind it because but I saw glimpses of good in the man at a close range and I think he can still make it right. My gut tells me I will be proven wrong but I'm kinda loyal like that.
I wonder if in 5 to 10 years if he turns it around will opinions change or has a portion of the golfing public just completely turned their back on the guy. Rhetorical question not looking for responses.

Whoa whoa whoa when did Jones become a racist?

Bobby Jones? I think it was more a to what extent more than was he or wasn't he.

Bobby Jones? I think it was more a to what extent more than was he or wasn't he.

Ok. Although since we don't know his views its kind of a slippery slope to debate on.

--
tapatalk

Ok. Although since we don't know his views its kind of a slippery slope to debate on.

--
tapatalk

True, it's not like he'd talk if we asked him..

I'm a Tiger fan and that's no secret. I'm not going to say though that I didn't lose a bit of respect for him this weekend. His actions this weekend were way over the top and I feel the PGA needs to step in and take action on further outbursts.

I'm a Tiger fan and that's no secret. I'm not going to say though that I didn't lose a bit of respect for him this weekend. His actions this weekend were way over the top and I feel the PGA needs to step in and take action on further outbursts.

This is pretty much how I feel as well Degoins. I'm not sure what jurisdiction the PGA has for actions in the Masters though, since it is not a PGA Tour event (which is also the same reason that Augusta National's membership practices are not held to the same level as say Shoal Creek).

This is how I feel. I have been a Tiger fan (golf Tiger) for a long time. I think that what he has done for golf is second to none but what he is doing now is a disgrace to the sport. I still want to see Tiger turn it around and become dominant again but I really feel the PGA should give him a VERY stern warning. One more outburst and you won't play the next major, it's that simple.

He really needs to be humbled and IMO, failure is the only way for him to learn that. When he kicked his club, I lost a lot of respect for him. He is in the class of John Daly right now with his temper tantrums.

It's well documented SW it's actually really not a secret. But like others have said it was a sign of the times.

This is how I feel. I have been a Tiger fan (golf Tiger) for a long time. I think that what he has done for golf is second to none but what he is doing now is a disgrace to the sport. I still want to see Tiger turn it around and become dominant again but I really feel the PGA should give him a VERY stern warning. One more outburst and you won't play the next major, it's that simple.

He really needs to be humbled and IMO, failure is the only way for him to learn that. When he kicked his club, I lost a lot of respect for him. He is in the class of John Daly right now with his temper tantrums.

As its been said before, the Masters isn't part of the PGA Tour so I don't know how much they are gonna do. However, I believe it is still PGA sanctioned so maybe they can. But if they let Sergio's antics go unchecked then how would they look getting into Tiger's business?

Siri does my posting for me using Tapatalk.

What are they gonna do suspend him? They wouldn't dare.

A fine means nothing to a man with his wallet. It will continue unchecked unfortunately.

What is they did suspend him?! I mean maybe that's what he needs. It's not like he can start another tour or that he'll go over seas. The tour doesn't have the ratings when he is out but they get ratings and with Bubba and others stepping up we all know the tour would be fine. Maybe a swift kick in the hinney is what he needs.

I couldn't see the tour suspending him. Considering other guys have done worse and not had any suspensions that I can recall.

I don't really see them suspending him either. I honestly wouldn't be opposed to anything to make him clean up his act, but I just don't think they have the balls to do it.

I couldn't see the tour suspending him. Considering other guys have done worse and not had any suspensions that I can recall.

Pretty sure Sabaweini got suspended for blowing up on the marshall kid and then Sean O'Hair but the tour doesn't disclose these matters so I can't say for sure. JB would know better.

The Tour would survive without Tiger but their ratings would suffer tremendously. The final round of Bay Hill had some ridiculous ratings.

How was the Augusta rating? Just wondering....
Edit:
Bayhill final was a 4.3
2012 Masters 8.3 but down 20%

It's well documented SW it's actually really not a secret. But like others have said it was a sign of the times.

Where's it documented?

--
tapatalk

It royally sucks that golf seemingly rises and falls with this (as TMex would probably say) "turd's" success.

Siri does my posting for me using Tapatalk.

Dudes, you should have seen the crowds that followed Tiger Woods. Unreal. Phil can kind of pull that crowd, but it's not really close. It blew me away. It was then that I realized that this guy can do whatever he wants and people still freaking love him. I followed him from #2-#4 on Thursday. He hit a ripper of an approach shot of #3. What was really impressive was his tee shot on #4 though. That hole was 240 on the card and I swear there was a good 10-15mph wind into the tee box. Everyone was hitting 3woods. I even saw Keegan try to hit his hybrid but came up short in the big bunker front right. Tiger pulls a 3iron. A freaking 3iron and hit that stinger shot. Had about 15 yards of draw on it. It sounded like nothing I've ever heard. At any rate, the guy still has the following and they all love him. Good golf, great golf, bad golf, despicable golf, it really doesn't matter.

I believe there is quite a bit about Charlie Sifford and Bobby Jones' refusal to extend an invitation. If I remember correctly, the gist of it was Bobby Jones said that Sifford never met any of the requirements - requirements that changed or were ignored constantly with regards to invitation. I don't think any of it ever said "Bobby Jones = Racist" but rather in a sport that holds honor above all else how his implicitness was in many ways worse. Remember Lee Elder didn't play in The Masters until 1975, after Bobby Jones' death, and very much with in the lifetime of Gen Xers.

BUT THIS IS A TIGER ISSUES THREAD ...

And that dude really pissed me the eff off this week. How he can be so petulant and disgusting on the course and be, maybe, the most open and honest he's ever been with the media and fans off it ... ugh. Drives me nuts. Look, I don't expect modern sports stars to be good people but the dichotomy is ridiculous. It would be a shame if he does end up breaking Jack's major wins record with this sad sad example of what golf shouldn't be.

The measure of a man isn't how he behaves when things are going well, it is when things are going to pot. And Tiger, you continually embarrass yourself, your family, your fans and the sport of golf. Shame.

Back