Morgan Cup - Preparation Thread

Thanks guys. I have really turned the corner, and I am going to keep on doing all of the things I have been to so that I can avoid any relapse, and continue to get stronger.

Hawk lets discuss as I love to overanalyze with the best of them. Obviously I was not there so I can only go with what I read. It seems to me that if you are pitching and chipping, you need to be better than 10 feet. Even the pros are not hitting 10 footers with any consistency. Do you think maybe its more a problem with your chipping and pitching?

Well, I don't really know I guess. I said within 10 feet, but that was sort of my max number rather than the average from the example. Right off the green, I'd say I'm typically happy to be within 5 feet. With pitch shots from 40-70 yards I'm happy to be in that 10 foot range. LOL maybe it's just that I'm happy with too little? Seriously, just tell me haha.

I guess what I saw was a guy playing pretty closely to me in terms of wedge game, but he made the putts and I missed.

Yorkem you just don't know how happy I am to hear how well your round went. This gives me hope that I will be back out there soon too. So happy for you!

excellent york...glad everything is coming together for you

Thanks guys. I have really turned the corner, and I am going to keep on doing all of the things I have been to so that I can avoid any relapse, and continue to get stronger.

Well, I don't really know I guess. I said within 10 feet, but that was sort of my max number rather than the average from the example. Right off the green, I'd say I'm typically happy to be within 5 feet. With pitch shots from 40-70 yards I'm happy to be in that 10 foot range. LOL maybe it's just that I'm happy with too little? Seriously, just tell me haha.

I guess what I saw was a guy playing pretty closely to me in terms of wedge game, but he made the putts and I missed.

it's crazy how 1 putts can save a round. I had a hole the other day that I hit a drive out of a shoot dead left, hit a tree and bounced back in front of tee box. It had to have gone no more than 20 yards when it was all said and done. Hit my next shot about 220 leaving me around 120 in. Hit the green and then made a 30 footer to save par. Meanwhile guy I was with hit the fairway, missed the green and 2 putted for a bogey.

Im embracing Rory McIlroy for Morgan Cup prep.

Yorkem you just don't know how happy I am to hear how well your round went. This gives me hope that I will be back out there soon too. So happy for you!

Thanks KB. I know you will be back out there soon. I am pulling for you all the way.

Say what?

We shall call him Marcs. I think it's a good name. Clearly it makes his name better. I hope he can get it stitched on his hat.

I went to the range today to work out some stuff and it went really well, but the thing I worked on the most other than putting was 3 wood off the deck. This is a shot I've never practised and as such have never played on the course, but a shot I have come to see I really really want to have in my bag. Recently I'm hittting my drives in the 270 range, I've found I have a chance at a lot of par 5's in two with 210-230 left into the green, and with my 3 hybrid being the longest club I'll hit from the fairway I've really wished I could hit my 3 wood from the deck so I could reach the 230 green in two if I wanted to go for it.

It is really more of a mental thing than a not being able to hit 3 wood off the deck thing, as 3 wood is my go to favorite club off the tee and I like to tee it low, so today I hit probably 30 balls with my 3 wood off the deck, and I'd say 25 of them were perfect with the other 5 being playable if I was on the course. I've got more work to do before I would be comfortable pulling the 3 wood on the course, but I think by the time the MC rolls around it will be a shot I would happily play.

I went to the range today to work out some stuff and it went really well, but the thing I worked on the most other than putting was 3 wood off the deck. This is a shot I've never practised and as such have never played on the course, but a shot I have come to see I really really want to have in my bag. Recently I'm hittting my drives in the 270 range, I've found I have a chance at a lot of par 5's in two with 210-230 left into the green, and with my 3 hybrid being the longest club I'll hit from the fairway I've really wished I could hit my 3 wood from the deck so I could reach the 230 green in two if I wanted to go for it.

It is really more of a mental thing than a not being able to hit 3 wood off the deck thing, as 3 wood is my go to favorite club off the tee and I like to tee it low, so today I hit probably 30 balls with my 3 wood off the deck, and I'd say 25 of them were perfect with the other 5 being playable if I was on the course. I've got more work to do before I would be comfortable pulling the 3 wood on the course, but I think by the time the MC rolls around it will be a shot I would happily play.

IMO its a shot that you have to have in the bag at least. Even if you don't use it.

very nice CB. I've been hitting my 3 wood extremely well off the deck so far this year. I think once you get confidence in that kind of shot it can be a serious game changer

IMO its a shot that you have to have in the bag at least. Even if you don't use it.
I totally agree with you dude, which is why I will continue to work hard at it on the range till I get comfortble playing it on the course. Its funny because I love 3 wood off the tee, but I've never really practised or tried to play 3 wood off the deck, but its time to make the 3 wood more versatile, and to go at these Par5's in two.

I totally agree with you dude, which is why I will continue to work hard at it on the range till I get comfortble playing it on the course. Its funny because I love 3 wood off the tee, but I've never really practised or tried to play 3 wood off the deck, but its time to make the 3 wood more versatile, and to go at these Par5's in two.

Im excited for you man. There is something really inspiring and almost uplifting to know a stiff FW off the deck.

JRod showed me how to master driver off the deck, it's unreal

I bet Rory hits a mean driver off the deck. He'd help us prepare quite good I think.

I bet Rory hits a mean driver off the deck. He'd help us prepare quite good I think.

I reckon you are right Marcs

Im excited for you man. There is something really inspiring and almost uplifting to know a stiff FW off the deck.
I love to stiff woods at the hole Tmex :alien:
I was actually surprised at how well I was hitting them today and how easy it really was.

I'd like to prepare for the Morgan Cup, hell I'd like to play golf, or even hit balls on the driving range but I haven't had the opportunity since a week ago yesterday. I just haven't had time with work and with having to pick up the slack around the house due to my wife's work being incredibly busy. I'm going to try to sneak out tonight and definitely am playing on Wednesday so that will be nice.

I'd like to prepare for the Morgan Cup, hell I'd like to play golf, or even hit balls on the driving range but I haven't had the opportunity since a week ago yesterday. I just haven't had time with work and with having to pick up the slack around the house due to my wife's work being incredibly busy. I'm going to try to sneak out tonight and definitely am playing on Wednesday so that will be nice.

Stripe it Jake.

I putted like Setho today. I hit 15/18 greens and managed 1 little birdie. Still shot a 73 though and am being super aggressive off the tee.

Nice work CB. I'm in the same boat as you, I'm decent with the 3 wood on a tee, but not great with it off the deck. I did hit 2 decent 3 woods on par 5's on Sunday, partly due to getting my swing more upright. I don't think the majority of par 5's at True Blue and Caledonia set up well for me to be able to go at them in 2 shots (either too long or water just in front of the green), but more power to you on doing that.

Stripe it Jake.

I putted like Setho today. I hit 15/18 greens and managed 1 little birdie. Still shot a 73 though and am being super aggressive off the tee.
You're playing some stupid good golf right now bro. I love to hear that!

Back