TaylorMade RBZ Irons Review - Forum Testing

What kind of ball flight are you getting with the PX 6.0 shafts?

I'd call it a mid flight, much lower than the stock shafts, lower than the Dynalite XP and DG s300, Similar to the KBS Tour and Higher than the X100
Hope that helps :)

I'd call it a mid flight, much lower than the stock shafts, lower than the Dynalite XP and DG s300, Similar to the KBS Tour and Higher than the X100
Hope that helps :)

Yea that is exactly what I was looking for. Sounds like the heads matched with the PX shafts, are a slick combo!

I have been researching this style of iron and have read all of the Burner 2.0 and the mammoth Di11 thread. I stopped into GG a couple of days ago to hit a few different models and the sales buy grabbed one of the RBZ 7i as well. I hit it back to back against the Burner 2.0 on a launch monitor. Distance was crazy on both and I am not a long hitter at all. I wasn't falling for the huge numbers but instead compared them against each other. The RBZ which I would have nevwr even looked at, was 5-10yards longer but the feel was so much better and much better feedback. I was impressed.

I went to EW as they are the only ones who carry Wilson Staff and I was able to hit the Di11 off a mat but they do not have a simulator that works with irons. I liked the feel of these of well, maybe a tick less feedback and feel than the RBZ but very comparable.

There is a demo day next Thursday and I am wondering if any of the testers have any experience with the Di11's (or any of the others below) that can provide some head to head comparisons on the course or at least grass since W/S will not be at the demo day.

So far I have hit the following off mats indoors only. In order of how well I liked the feel/feedback
RBZ
Razr X
Di11
Cobra S3
CG16
JPX 800
G20
Burner 2.0
Ci11
Amp

I have been researching this style of iron and have read all of the Burner 2.0 and the mammoth Di11 thread. I stopped into GG a couple of days ago to hit a few different models and the sales buy grabbed one of the RBZ 7i as well. I hit it back to back against the Burner 2.0 on a launch monitor. Distance was crazy on both and I am not a long hitter at all. I wasn't falling for the huge numbers but instead compared them against each other. The RBZ which I would have nevwr even looked at, was 5-10yards longer but the feel was so much better and much better feedback. I was impressed.

I went to EW as they are the only ones who carry Wilson Staff and I was able to hit the Di11 off a mat but they do not have a simulator that works with irons. I liked the feel of these of well, maybe a tick less feedback and feel than the RBZ but very comparable.

There is a demo day next Thursday and I am wondering if any of the testers have any experience with the Di11's (or any of the others below) that can provide some head to head comparisons on the course or at least grass since W/S will not be at the demo day.

So far I have hit the following off mats indoors only. In order of how well I liked the feel/feedback
RBZ
Razr X
Di11
Cobra S3
CG16
JPX 800
G20
Burner 2.0
Ci11
Amp

I have never had the pleasure of hitting the Wilson Ci11 irons so no help here. Hopefully one of the testers can give you some insight or maybe a forum member who has hit them. Good luck with your search and final decision. The RBZ irons are cannon long!

I have never had the pleasure of hitting the Wilson Ci11 irons so no help here. Hopefully one of the testers can give you some insight or maybe a forum member who has hit them. Good luck with your search and final decision. The RBZ irons are cannon long!

I haven't hit the Ci11 irons either, sorry :(.

I hit my irons so well today that I am thinking about buying the RBZ Driver and 3 - hybrid along with the cool looking TaylorMade Bag. Thinking, Thinking, Thinking hmmmmmm

I hit my irons so well today that I am thinking about buying the RBZ Driver and 3 - hybrid along with the cool looking TaylorMade Bag. Thinking, Thinking, Thinking hmmmmmm

Do it!

Thanks for all of the info here but it's the Di11 I am wondering about in comparison here, not the Ci11 ;)

Have you hit either of them before?

I hit the driver and 3 - hybrid at the Dicks Sporting Goods in Macon. They said the wall at the end of the net was hurting :bulgy-eyes:. I will be testing these things on an outdoor range asap.

Those are strong words there OG.

Buddy of mine picked up the driver and 3w. He was hitting both DEEP. I hit it for a few swings on a simulator and was picking up 5mph of ball speed.

Will finally get these out for a range session tomorrow after almost a week of not hitting. I'd been going hard for about 10 days with golf though, so hoping it gave my body time to recover and I'll be putting good swings on the ole RBZ's.

Buddy of mine picked up the driver and 3w. He was hitting both DEEP. I hit it for a few swings on a simulator and was picking up 5mph of ball speed.

Incredibly long and calling my name really loud. Waiting on hitting the lotto :D

Incredibly long and calling my name really loud. Waiting on hitting the lotto :D

Guess I shouldn't mention the fact that Edwin Watts (likely others too) are doing significant trade in bonuses right now...

Played 2 rounds this last weekend and had 2 great 9's and 2 not so great 9's. Unfortunatly, the 2 great 9's were on each day. Shot an 80 one day (+7 front, +1 back) and 84 the next (+1 front, +11 back). This is what I get for playing Bubba Golf (TM). Anyways, just a quick summary from both rounds, but I continue to hit the scoring irons very very well. If I can get the 8, 9, PW and AW in my hands I know I'm going to put the ball close. Big time confidence with these clubs. I did have quite a few "tops" when hitting the 4 and 5 irons in punch out situations. I believe this was no fault other than my own as I was really trying to keep the ball down and just didn't focus on hitting down on the ball.

We have 3 par 3's on our course and went 2 for 2 on the 5th hole, putting it on the green both times (about 160yds out) went 0-2 on the 7th hole (about 170yds out) but was into the wind and was playing about 180-185yds. Hit one 6 iron that would of been perfect but just caught the tail end of the bunker and pulled it back into the sand. Was very happy with that swing though. And went 0-2 on the 16th hole (about 175yds) but was just on the fringe on one and pin high rough on the other. Not terrible.

Still very happy with the RBZ irons. Have had quite a few people come up to me and ask how I've been hitting them. There is a lot of interest still surrounding these clubs and people want to know how my results have been. I can tell you, I am every bit as excited in hitting these irons as I was day 1. That should tell you something.

I tested out the 6 iron at golfsmith along with a 6 iron R11. I hit the RBZ about 10 yards farther than the R11. On my best swings, I hit the RBZ 6 iron 206 yards! I hit my best R11 shot 196. I was very happy with the distance for both irons and both felt very solid. I am still playing my Tommy Armour 855s Silver Scot irons that I have had since high school (bought these about 18 years ago!) The lofts on the new TM irons are about a club stronger than my old irons I currently play. My PW is 48*, 9-iron 44*, 8 iron 40*, 7 iron 36*, 6 iron 32*, 5 iron 28*, 4 iron 24 1/2*. So it's expected I'd hit these new clubs longer, but I hit my current 6 iron about 165 or 170 if I really catch it! The lofts cannot account for 35+ yards gained!

I just realized I know FrankA and hope that we can make it out to the course together in the next few weeks so I can try the rest of the set out on a course!

I tested out the 6 iron at golfsmith along with a 6 iron R11. I hit the RBZ about 10 yards farther than the R11. On my best swings, I hit the RBZ 6 iron 206 yards! I hit my best R11 shot 196. I was very happy with the distance for both irons and both felt very solid. I am still playing my Tommy Armour 855s Silver Scot irons that I have had since high school (bought these about 18 years ago!) The lofts on the new TM irons are about a club stronger than my old irons I currently play. My PW is 48*, 9-iron 44*, 8 iron 40*, 7 iron 36*, 6 iron 32*, 5 iron 28*, 4 iron 24 1/2*. So it's expected I'd hit these new clubs longer, but I hit my current 6 iron about 165 or 170 if I really catch it! The lofts cannot account for 35+ yards gained!

I just realized I know FrankA and hope that we can make it out to the course together in the next few weeks so I can try the rest of the set out on a course!

Nice 1st post mtneerinraleigh! So are you looking for new irons or was that just for fun? I'm sure FrankA would let you give them a test drive if you live close to him! Also, don't forget to introduce yourself in the other forum if you feel inclinded to do so. Welcome to the club!

Nice 1st post mtneerinraleigh! So are you looking for new irons or was that just for fun? I'm sure FrankA would let you give them a test drive if you live close to him! Also, don't forget to introduce yourself in the other forum if you feel inclinded to do so. Welcome to the club!

Thanks! I'll go introduce myself over there. I need some new irons, mine are worn out and way out-dated technology wise. I'm in the beginning stages of looking, but was definitely impressed with the RBZs so far. Frank and I live within a half hour of each other. Once we can get our schedules in sync where we can both make it out to a course, I'll give them a good test drive.

Thanks! I'll go introduce myself over there. I need some new irons, mine are worn out and way out-dated technology wise. I'm in the beginning stages of looking, but was definitely impressed with the RBZs so far. Frank and I live within a half hour of each other. Once we can get our schedules in sync where we can both make it out to a course, I'll give them a good test drive.

Let me know when you guys get together. I live in Raleigh and am testing the RBZs too. Would be fun to get 3 sets of opinions on them at once!

I replaced my Burner 2009 (1.0) Stock stiff 4-AW irons with new RBZ's. I was fit at the Taylormade MATT facility and ordered 5-AW with Dynamic Gold SL S300 shafts. I also got the 3 and 4 Stock stiff hybrids. The irons are 2* flat and 1* weak. All specs were what the MATT system recommended. I hit the ball long but was looking for more control. My old irons were hit best with a 3/4 swing and I always had dificulty with keeping the long irons striaght.

I played twice on the weekend and love the new sticks. The hybrids are awesome and easy to control. For me they are no brainers to purchase for anyone. The irons are straight and with the custom fitting I have the same yardage as my old clubs but keep the shots right at the target. The hardest part for me was aiming at the target, I was constantly playing for the line I would take with my old clubs. I also bought a new driver and had trouble on the first five holes with it, which led to a 9 over front nine on Saturday. On the back I was even par and missed a 16" putt on a par three which would have put me one under on the back. I hit the best feeling five, six, and seven irons of my life during this game and I think the custom lie angles and shaft are the reason they felt so good.

I am now a believer that custom fitting is the way to go.

Hey, after the back nine I had I even tied my playing partner who got a hole in one on the front.

I replace my Burner 2009 (1.0) Stock stiff 4-AW irons with new RBZ's. I was fit at the Taylormade MATT facility and ordered 5-AW with Dynamic Gold SL S300 shafts. I also got the 3 and 4 Stock stiff hybrids. The irons are 2* flat and 1* weak. All specs were what the MATT system recommended. I hit the ball long but was looking for more control. My old irons were hit best with a 3/4 swing and I always had dificulty with keeping the long irons striaght.

I played twice on the weekend and love the new sticks. The hybrids are awesome and easy to control. For me they are no brainers to purchase for anyone. The irons are straight and with the custom fitting I have the same yardage as my old clubs but keep the shots right at the target. The hardest part for me was aiming at the target, I was constantly playing for the line I would take with my old clubs. I also bought a new driver and had trouble on the first five holes with it, which led to a 9 over front nine on Saturday. On the back I was even par and missed a 16" putt on a par three which would have put me one under on the back. I hit the best feeling five, six, and seven irons of my life during this game and I think the custom lie angles and shaft are the reason they felt so good.

I am now a believer that custom fitting is the way to go.

Hey, after the back nine I had I even tied my playing partner who got a hole in one on the front.

Wow, Canada17 that's awesome man. Did you by chance hit the RBZs with the stock shafts before you hit them with the S300s? I'm very interested to hear the difference if you did. I've been fit for the regular S300s, which aren't too different from the SL and would reshaft to those eventually if I continue to game the RBZ irons.

Wow, Canada17 that's awesome man. Did you by chance hit the RBZs with the stock shafts before you hit them with the S300s? I'm very interested to hear the difference if you did. I've been fit for the regular S300s, which aren't too different from the SL and would reshaft to those eventually if I continue to game the RBZ irons.

I did hit both the stock regular and the stock stiff. The stiff felt almost identical to my burner irons and this made me uncomfortable because I did not want new clubs that I hit the same as my old ones. The first fitting with a Taylormade rep had me going with Stock stiff 6-Aw and regular 3 and 4 hybrids and regular 5 iron. I have never seen anyone play both regular and stiff irons that is why I went for the Taylormade Matt fitting.

To answer your question though, the SL's are heavier and feel firm, not as whippy as the stock stiff. When you swing hard, the face of the club is square at impact. With the stock stiff it would be slightly open and cause a fade. I noticed this with the 6 iron. That is what I was fit with. I never feel a great difference with the different shafts in the short irons. I notice the biggest difference in the 5,6 and 7.

Back