Suggest me some irons!

James

Reaction score
Handicap
Hey guys, looking to possibly upgrade my irons, currently playing Wilson Deep Red irons, they are Ok, quite forgiving. However I'm just not get any real distance with them. So what irons can you guys suggest for me?

I am consistently shooting mid 80's. With my lowest score being 83. I'm really looking to start shooting high 70's by the end of this season. So keep that in mind with the irons.

Distance has to be good, work ability is a must also.

Thanks Guys.

Mizuno JPX 800 Pro
Ping i20
Bridgestone J40 DPC
Wilson Ci11

Hey guys, looking to possibly upgrade my irons, currently playing Wilson Deep Red irons, they are Ok, quite forgiving. However I'm just not get any real distance with them. So what irons can you guys suggest for me?

I am consistently shooting mid 80's. With my lowest score being 83. I'm really looking to start shooting high 70's by the end of this season. So keep that in mind with the irons.

Distance has to be good, work ability is a must also.

Thanks Guys.

I think what works for me (and others) may not work for you. I would recommend selecting a brand you like, and then trying the various lines within that brand. It is also very important to be fit for your clubs, so I would recommend that as well. If you get 20 replies, you will more than likely get 20 different opinions on brand and such.

Bridgestone J40 CB.... ORRRRRR My suggestion is to go and hit as many as you can. Go home, let it sink in then check around for a good fitter after you've found a set or 3 you like. The go have yourself a fitting bonanza.

To be honest I like all the sets listed. Time to flip a coin hehe

James, if you are interested in staying with Wilson, give the Ci11's a shot. A very good looking set of clubs, forgiving, and I find them to be quite long.

Ci11's are looking very good. Very cheap compared to the others.

Ci11's are looking very good. Very cheap compared to the others.

No matter what brand you decide on how is your golf swing?
You say your not getting any real distance with your current clubs.
I think that good money spent would be to get your swing analyzed and go from there with your club purchase.
Good luck and Welcome to THP.

I like most all the sets suggested too but the Ping i20's are seriously good irons with a great mix of distance and forgiveness.

good irons

good irons

Ok james considering where your at right now with your game and where you want to be by the end of the season I have a few ideas. One thing I would recommend is to go get fitted for irons. It will def make a huge difference from just picking a set off the rack. But with that being said I think these few sets of irons may be what will help you out. Ok first ones I do agree with some of the guys on here about the Ping i20's. They are nice irons. Also Ping makes the S56 which they call "blades" but don't let that scare you because they still have a decent amount of forgiveness and you will be able to work the ball. And lastly I would recommend the TITLEIST AP2's. They are forged so you'll get great feel and they are pretty forgiving also. You will have good distance and shot control with them. I'm a big TITLEIST guy so i may be a tad bias lol. But those are my picks .

I echo the i20's, they are worth looking at...but ultimately it comes down to what you like best, everyone is different. Try as many as you can, narrow it down to a few, then let them battle it out.

Get some Callaway Diablo Forged irons before they are gone! They are being discontinued, but you can still find some sets on Golfsmith and DiscountDansGolf.com, I have played many irons, including blades, but recently switched to these and they are AMAZING. They have the amazing feel of a forged, but they have the forgiveness of a cavity back. They are LLLOOOOOOONG. Definitely try different sets before you buy, now is a good time if the year to find some demo days, so hit a bunch of stuff and go from there.

You should check out the reviews on the home page. Lots of iron sets have been reviewed here.

I am also looking for new irons and have hit a bunch of the ones listed. I have narrowed it down to the Ping i20's. The only issue I have is that I have not hit them off the grass yet, due to the weather. So this week I am hitting the demo day and cannot wait. I will let you know how they felt after hitting them.

Back