Putter spec thoughts

bahester

Follow me: @bahester
Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 9.6
I sent an email off to John at SeeMore and I know he's going to send me back some great suggestions, but I thought why not post it here as well and see what you guys have to offer. I know there are plenty of very knowledgeable people here so I thought I'd put up what I sent off to him and the video I made to get some thoughts on maybe different putter types that would fit my stroke. Thanks guys!

1. If you stand up straight and allow your arms to hang naturally to your side while closing your first, please send me the length in inches from the ground to the bottom of your middle knuckle. This measurement is more crucial than your height within the fitting process. 28 inches
2. What is your glove size? Medium
3. Do you prefer a smooth, tacky or rough grip texture? Really no preference, though probably smooth if I was forced to choose.
4. On a straight 10 foot putt, do you have a more prevalent miss to the left or right? Right
5. When looking for a putter, is softness or firmness more important to you? I'm not 100% sure, but I'd probably say softness.
6. What putter do you currently have? TM Ghost Maranello 33"
7. How long is your current putter? 33"
8. Are you open to a blade or a mallet? Absolutely, anything that will help me improve.
9. Right or left handed? Right
10. Athletic or rounded posture? Athletic

Video:

<b>

Will be cool to see what you end up with..

Look forward to seeing what Seemore says, you have a pretty strong arc on your putting stroke so it will be something that will fit that for sure.

Well I can certainly see why you miss right ;) Based on the video, you take the putter back to the inside, opening the face, and then come through almost straight. If you were to look at the hands of a clock, you back swing arches from 12 to 7, but your path towards (and through) the ball is like 7 to 1. You don't really square the putter face back up and end up pushing the ball right. You can see it really clear when you slow the video down to .25x speed. I am sure SeeMore will explain better than I could and even more important, tell you how to fix it!

Well I can certainly see why you miss right ;) Based on the video, you take the putter back to the inside, opening the face, and then come through almost straight. If you were to look at the hands of a clock, you back swing arches from 12 to 7, but your path towards (and through) the ball is like 7 to 1. You don't really square the putter face back up and end up pushing the ball right. You can see it really clear when you slow the video down to .25x speed. I am sure SeeMore will explain better than I could and even more important, tell you how to fix it!

Thanks Jlukes, its something I struggle with. I very recently made the jump from a straight back straight thru type motion to more of an arc, and it's a work in progress. For a while there I putted almost everyday, and had a pretty good arc going. My putts were straight very consistently, but here lately I've been struggling with exactly what you said! Thanks for your insight!!

Thanks Jlukes, its something I struggle with. I very recently made the jump from a straight back straight thru type motion to more of an arc, and it's a work in progress. For a while there I putted almost everyday, and had a pretty good arc going. My putts were straight very consistently, but here lately I've been struggling with exactly what you said! Thanks for your insight!!

Just out of curiosity, what is the reason for moving to the arc? Seems like you'd be shrinking the window for a square impact.

Just out of curiosity, what is the reason for moving to the arc? Seems like you'd be shrinking the window for a square impact.

I really struggled with a straight back straight through for some reason. Messing around on the putting greens with our pro back at home he just suggested maybe try more of an arc stroke to see if it feels any better to me. I putted around with it for an hour or so and I immediately felt much more confident putting. Not only was my distance control better but I was much more consistent. Lately I've been missing a tad bit right, but for a while there I putted very, very well.

ill be following this for sure be interested to see what they say seemore is a good putter company. i just don't use the rst like i should with my stroke and how i putt with the forward press it ruins it.

Are you forcing/manipulating the arc stroke over letting it happen naturally? Jlukes touched on your arc by refering to hands on a clock, but, what is also happening (because of the push back to the ball) is that you are hitting toe side on the face. When you line the putter up to to the ball it is on the center sight line.. when you impact the ball you are closer to the top (toe) sight line. If you pause at impact on all three shots you will see what I'm talking about. :)

SeeMore are great and will sort you out. Good luck with your putting mate.

Here's what John had to say. Can't wait to look into this!

Hi Brooks!

Thank you for sending the video! Impressive camera-work. It looks like you have a nice putting strip in your home!

Length: Considering your posture and your knuckles to floor measurement, I recommend a 33.5 inch putter.
Grip: The Lamkin 3GEN is a fantastic smooth, standard size grip available in black, grey and white. Lamkin claims that it eliminates more vibration at impact than any other grip.

Stroke: You have a beautiful backstroke with a natural arc. I do notice that your follow through finishes outside (to the right) instead of fully releasing the putter-head. This is the likely reasoning for your more prevalent miss is to the right. I recommend you try some of these drills to enforce a complete release of the putter-head. This is some content that we equip our SPi certified instructors with for how they can help their students have a natural release.

Practice Drills for "Release the Putter Head"

1. After your student grips his SeeMore putter, have him take his thumbs off of the grip and just hold the putter in the strongest part of the fingers and heel pad. This ensures neutral position of hands and forearms. Have him make 10-12 putts with this stroke. He will "feel" the putter head wanting to release. This will take the "pushes" out of the stroke. If he feels his this during the stroke then he will know what a "push putt" feels like.

2. Have your student make putts without using a backswing. By doing this the student will "feel" what the putter head is supposed to do at impact and this should result in a follow through that is consistent with a natural arc.

3. Have your student get in a good neutral set-up and ask him to close his eyes during the stroke. Have him hit 10-12 putts with his eyes close. By hiding the red dot, he will have the same posture and same bal position which will ensure him to make a natural putting stroke. By having his eyes close during the putting stroke, he will begin to "feel" the putter head release. Therefore making the stroke happen naturally. He does not have to "think" about making the stroke. He just has to move the putter head back and forth and everything else is taken care of due to the RST.

4. Have your student take their SeeMore putter to work and practice "hiding the red dot" and making putting strokes. This little tip will save your student valuable time before his round of golf. By doing this at work he is getting comfortable with his set-up, his alignment, his ball position and the release of the putter head. (this is like you practicing your free throw shots after basketball practice.)

Club: I recommend one of our center-straight shafted blade models. Especially check out the FGP Blade, mFGP CS, ONE CS and m1 at www.seemore.com. In this video, I show why I putters featuring this weighting benefit will help you naturally square the clubface at impact more than any others in the game. Myth of Face Balanced Putters

Wow!!! I just got a good routine to go off for practicing my putting stroke!

Wow!!! I just got a good routine to go off for practicing my putting stroke!

Great! Was hoping people would learn from this just as I have so far!

I've been dealing with SeeMore for the past week and have been absolutely amazed by their service. Glad to see they're helping you too!

Wow that's some fantastic info. Thanks for sharing that dude. Those are some really good drills to practice with. I may use that whenever I have a short putter in my hands.

SeeMore knows their stuff and better yet they truly want people to become better putters.

I have the SeeMore FGP Putter. Amazing. I've had it for 3 rounds so far and my confidence for putting has gone up drastically.
My putting stroke is really similar to your's. And having the two white lines to hide the red mark from back to forward swing really helped my stroke. You will always place the ball in the same spot. Speed and reading the lines are the only things that's left because you will gain consistency with a SeeMore.

Last edited:
Great stuff bahester. Your in good hands now.

Wow bahester- my specs (and putting issues) are almost identical to yours. Sounds like some great advice about which Seemore putter and how to use it properly. Thanks for sharing

Wow bahester- my specs (and putting issues) are almost identical to yours. Sounds like some great advice about which Seemore putter and how to use it properly. Thanks for sharing

Sure thing buddy!

Back