Golfing with women?

I dunno DD, I've seen lots of holes where either the forward tees are much closer to the water's edge or on the other side of it, completely taking it out of play or the tee not requiring a forced carry over a bunch of junk to reach the fairway. It may get you closer to the fairway bunker but would you rather hit out of a fairway bunker or take a drop because you put it in the drink or a waste area. So I don't think it's necessarily harder the farther you get away from the tips.
I agree. On most of the courses around here, the closer tees make the hole much easier because they allow you to not have to hit over deep rough or a hazard and often give you a better angle at the fairway/green.

Look at the slope ratings. The tips are the higher numbers. Although sometimes the forward tees, while they might have a lower course rating, they may also have a slightly higher slope rating. I don't know if it's because it's "harder" or because ladies tend to hit from those tees so the slope is geared towards that. My guess is the latter.

Look at the slope ratings. The tips are the higher numbers. Although sometimes the forward tees, while they might have a lower course rating, they may also have a slightly higher slope rating. I don't know if it's because it's "harder" or because ladies tend to hit from those tees so the slope is geared towards that. My guess is the latter.

Agreed. Our club has men's and women's slope ratings, and on the same tees, the women's are always higher.

No surprise from a traditional club--there is no women's rating for the blue tees or men's rating for the red ones.

I've never seen or noticed multiple slope and course ratings for a certain tee. I meant that a course have a higher slope for the forward tees than for the middle tees.

I think people should play the tees that fits their skill level. I was out playing about a month ago and this lady was out with I believe her husband and she insisted on playing the tips with him on a par 3. Well he cleared the water no problem and landed nicely on the green. She, on the other hand, hit three balls right into the water. She changed clubs and hit it again and the ball still went into the water.

Agreed. Our club has men's and women's slope ratings, and on the same tees, the women's are always higher.

I wish this was available more often. Depending on who I am playing, or what course, I will play the reds or whites. When trying to figure out my handicap, it can be annoying to put a lower slope rating for the whites than I would get if playing from the reds. My handicap is a combination of playing from both tees.

Sox: At the least, shouldn't you use the slope of the reds, even if you are playing from the whites?

Sox: At the least, shouldn't you use the slope of the reds, even if you are playing from the whites?

That is a good idea, maybe I should? I just want to make sure it is accurate, is that cheating some how? I don't know.

I wish this was available more often. Depending on who I am playing, or what course, I will play the reds or whites. When trying to figure out my handicap, it can be annoying to put a lower slope rating for the whites than I would get if playing from the reds. My handicap is a combination of playing from both tees.

Try using this:
http://63.240.106.223/natcrsrating/ncrlisting.aspx

That is actually what I use Harry, but most of the courses don't have a slope rating separate for the men and women for the different tees. I actually think I started using that on a previous recommendation from you!

I think people should play the tees that fits their skill level.

I couldn't agree with this statement more, no matter if it's a man or woman. If your playing from a length that makes it too difficult it's not going to be enjoyable because you are going to have to press. Men are far more apt to fall into this catagory and that leads to slow play. As far as playing with women I have no problem playing with anyone period. I don't think that there should be a "Ladies" tee it should be the "Front Tee". A young girl or boy isn't a lady so where should they play from the Kiddies Tee? I've had good and bad rounds with men and women. At International World Tour in Myrtle Beach as we met with our guide he asked each player their handicap and made the recomendation (strong recomendation) on which tee to hit from.

Back to the original question, if I'm paired with a woman on the tee it typically means that my wife decided to golf today, and that's all good.

Other than that, I either play as a walking single or in a foursome. When I walk I don't normally get paired (they know I suck too much - heh), as such a vast majority take carts at the course I play.

I can tell you from my experiences in the shooting sports that I'd rather play with a group of women than with a bunch of men. Significantly lower probability of a woman wrapping equipment around a tree or throwing it in the lake, f'rinstance. My experience has been that TYPICALLY, women are more able to let a bad shot go rather than allow it to ruin the day. Men, not so much.

I'm much more likely to be biased (being honest here) towards folks dedicated to a certain brand than anything else. If you've got a full set of Callaways, with the bag, hat, watch, glove, shoes, pullover, ball marker, and cigar holder, I'm much more likely to shy away. That's just how I am I guess.

But I also understand I'm an anomaly. When we were shooting, I had numerous male co-workers comment that I was an idiot for letting my wife shoot with me - they said they'd be nervous if their wives knew how to shoot. A couple suggested ways of making the shooting so awful that my wife would want to quit on her own. I never understood that, I consider SWMBO to be my best friend, and I want to spend time with her.

One of these guys was also a hardcore golfer. Lived on a course and everything. His wife never golfed. One Christmas she asked for clubs and lessons. He bought her a lesson card with a local pro, and a really high end set of clubs. After she opened them, he told her that he hoped she enjoyed the game, but that she would NEVER play with him for a single round. At least that's what he bragged to us. I don't get it.

the only time i sorta mind playing with women is during a scramble....when you gotta load up and drive to the forward tees....it feels like it throws off the pace....no on the other hand if she can bomb em....then its all good......LOL but after the initial tee shot....and we all play together its no biggie...you know what i mean...

I usually don't mind playing with women but yesterday i played with a guy and his wife/gf and it was here third time ever playing and he was teaching her, and the guy was awful. I had to wait almost 20 minutes between my shots. And they also had no etiquette at all. Like i said i dont usually mind playing with women but seriously. And when i said i had to wait almost 20mins between shots i meant it, and we were playing my home course which is a par 30 with 6 par 3's. I have no idea how i shot 4 over for that 9.

I usually don't mind playing with women but yesterday i played with a guy and his wife/gf and it was here third time ever playing and he was teaching her, and the guy was awful. I had to wait almost 20 minutes between my shots. And they also had no etiquette at all. Like i said i dont usually mind playing with women but seriously. And when i said i had to wait almost 20mins between shots i meant it, and we were playing my home course which is a par 30 with 6 par 3's. I have no idea how i shot 4 over for that 9.

TCC, did you confront the couple about their slow play?

In my situation i really couldn't because im 16 and the course we play at is small and everybody knows everybody around there . The guy i played with is a regular. And even though i live at that course and know everyone down there i didnt want to make anything awkward especially because my dad is down there as much as i am. And when i took into account the guy's personality i knew how personal he would take it.

In my situation i really couldn't because im 16 and the course we play at is small and everybody knows everybody around there . The guy i played with is a regular. And even though i live at that course and know everyone down there i didnt want to make anything awkward especially because my dad is down there as much as i am. And when i took into account the guy's personality i knew how personal he would take it.
I see. You did the right thing. Well thought out for a 16 yo. When I was 16 I might have thrown my club at him.:angry:

At the least I would have skipped ahead a hole and came back and played the skipped hole after the others. Except you might have had to wait for them to finish that hole too! hehe

Sounds more like the problem was with the guy. If he is a regular he should have known that was unacceptable! I can't believe he didn't say to you, why don't you go on up ahead?

Sounds more like the problem was with the guy. If he is a regular he should have known that was unacceptable! I can't believe he didn't say to you, why don't you go on up ahead?

Totally agree here. And he, if it had been his younger brother or something instead of his significant other, you'd have been just as angry.

Totally agree here. And he, if it had been his younger brother or something instead of his significant other, you'd have been just as angry.

Exactly it was the guy's fault and the fact that it was a female he was tutoring has no bearing. He was the instructor and as such it was his responsibility to keep things moving. The friend who started me playing golf would have me pick up and drop with his shot if I made a terrible shot or for whatever so we would keep a decent pace of play. All that said you showed far more maturity and tact in the way you handled yourself by not saying anything.

Back to the original question, if I'm paired with a woman on the tee it typically means that my wife decided to golf today, and that's all good.

Other than that, I either play as a walking single or in a foursome. When I walk I don't normally get paired (they know I suck too much - heh), as such a vast majority take carts at the course I play.

I can tell you from my experiences in the shooting sports that I'd rather play with a group of women than with a bunch of men. Significantly lower probability of a woman wrapping equipment around a tree or throwing it in the lake, f'rinstance. My experience has been that TYPICALLY, women are more able to let a bad shot go rather than allow it to ruin the day. Men, not so much.

I'm much more likely to be biased (being honest here) towards folks dedicated to a certain brand than anything else. If you've got a full set of Callaways, with the bag, hat, watch, glove, shoes, pullover, ball marker, and cigar holder, I'm much more likely to shy away. That's just how I am I guess.

But I also understand I'm an anomaly. When we were shooting, I had numerous male co-workers comment that I was an idiot for letting my wife shoot with me - they said they'd be nervous if their wives knew how to shoot. A couple suggested ways of making the shooting so awful that my wife would want to quit on her own. I never understood that, I consider SWMBO to be my best friend, and I want to spend time with her.

One of these guys was also a hardcore golfer. Lived on a course and everything. His wife never golfed. One Christmas she asked for clubs and lessons. He bought her a lesson card with a local pro, and a really high end set of clubs. After she opened them, he told her that he hoped she enjoyed the game, but that she would NEVER play with him for a single round. At least that's what he bragged to us. I don't get it.

Shooting guns? I out shoot most men I know. My dad has taught me, since I was little, and I'm grateful. My brother and his wife both shoot, too. I WILL be packing when I get my first luxury home. The S.O. hasn't been offered a choice in that. :wink:

The last part...mmhmm, "at least that's what he bragged to us"...love it.

It reminds me of this gristly old golfer we had helping us in the store when we were buying my first set. He said, "never golf together. And if you do golf together, never give each other advice." A fine tip for most, I suppose, but we're a bit more evolved - as a novice I'd be dim to not take a good golfer's tips. And there has been the time or two, only when he's complaining about his game, that I told him about the extra little hitch he developed at 120*, that he might think about it. (Now that I think about it, he does take the help with a lot less grace.)

The friend who started me playing golf would have me pick up and drop with his shot if I made a terrible shot or for whatever so we would keep a decent pace of play. All that said you showed far more maturity and tact in the way you handled yourself by not saying anything.

It's funny - on another forum, they were ranting about golfers who don't follow the rules, and I suggested something like that ^^^ might be a positive thing that benefits the pace of play. They were very against the idea.

Do you guys mind if newbies (new women are what I have in mind here) fudge the rules a bit, if it keeps the game more enjoyable for them? (And may keep pace of play up?)

Do you guys mind if newbies (new women are what I have in mind here) fudge the rules a bit, if it keeps the game more enjoyable for them? (And may keep pace of play up?)

Sure, why not? As long as rules are followed when they need to be (tournaments, handicaps, playng for money). I know I don't care any other time. And someone new isn't playing in tournaments, setting a handicap or playing for money. (I still won't play for money! And I don't play in tournaments!)

It's funny - on another forum, they were ranting about golfers who don't follow the rules, and I suggested something like that ^^^ might be a positive thing that benefits the pace of play. They were very against the idea.

You got to be kidding me what do they think the PGA police is going to drop in and end the game. If you follow that principal most youth sports don't follow the rules Hockey 10 to 15 minute periods, Baseball only 7 innings, Football both US & European shorter time frame. Just how important is it that when you are learning this game that you try and make extremely difficult shots from bad lies. All that does is frustrate a new golfer if it isn't fun why in the world would you do it? For a very brief time I was paid to play a game and trust me it took the fun right out of it but at that point it was work.

Back