Who Checks the Sole Before Buying?

Griff

Hey Man, Nice Shot
Reaction score
Handicap
Been meaning to ask this for awhile. Honestly, who investigates sole design of a club before they buy? If so, what do you look for on the floor of the club? Talking design here, not bounce. Two very different things.

Will ask this as well....what good is forgiveness and "playability" if the club gets snagged up on the way to the ball?

I think that it matters very little what the sole design is if you're constantly hitting the ball fat. Or thin for that matter. I think it's important for people to fully grasp what their "miss" is.

Nothing should get snagged up on the way to the ball, you should be hitting the ball first.

Nothing should get snagged up on the way to the ball, you should be hitting the ball first.

Unless you're in the rough or something, in which case, I am finding I prefer something with smaller profiles.

Unless you're in the rough or something, in which case, I am finding I prefer something with smaller profiles.

Not even though. If your in the rough, a few blades of grass shouldn't catch even the most aggressive sole profiles, and you shouldn't hit the actual turf after the ball. And if you're in deep rough, you need to be steeper, which cuts more grass out of the equation.

Not even though. If your in the rough, a few blades of grass shouldn't catch even the most aggressive sole profiles, and you shouldn't hit the actual turf after the ball. And if you're in deep rough, you need to be steeper, which cuts more grass out of the equation.

Well, I'm still hitting something in the thick stuff dude. There's no way around it sometimes, not for me, not around here. Especially in that burmuda rough where the ball just sets down.

As far as I know, and from personal experience, pros only club up in light rough because they need to be steeper to put more spin on the ball. They can hit it the same distance if they want to, but they wouldn't be steep enough and wouldn't be able to impart any spin on the golf ball.

I see plenty of lies where I don't see but the top of the ball. Stuff behind the ball happens.

For me, a sharper lead edge can be bad for business in those situations. I'm sure as heck no pro and I appreciate well conceived club design that can assist me when I miss.

If the SCORs aren't evidence of what a well designed sole can do for people I don't know what to say.

:bulgy-eyes:. You don't hit down on the ball?

I see plenty of lies where I don't see but the top of the ball. Stuff behind the ball happens.

For me, a sharper lead edge can be bad for business in those situations. I'm sure as heck no pro and I appreciate well conceived club design that can assist me when I miss.

If the SCORs aren't evidence of what a well designed sole can do for people I don't know what to say.

I think the comments by Thainer and Golf Ghost are right...IF the ball is hit perfectly. Ideally, you do hit the ball first, however, I know my golf game and ideal are never used in the same sentence.

Modern sole design to me is important in only a few regards. First, on Drivers or Woods, manufacturers are working on aerodynamics to help us eek that extra mph out of our swing to generate more distance. On FWs and Hybrids like the Mashies, the rails are helping the digger like me get to the ball cleaner, where that may not be any assistance (other than high grass) for a better technical swinger. The same is probably true for irons. Wedges have the most impact on soles due to the fact that you are either hitting them square or opening them up and using the bounce. So the sole design does dictate some of the versatility there. Obviously there is something to the dual sole design on wedges at least for some players since there seem to be several iterations out amongst manufacturers. Beyond the concept of the dual-sole, you still have grinds primarily on wedges to help the player do what they want.

As a digger, I do appreciate concepts on the sole that allow me to miss more, but for others, those specific helps are probably unimportant.

Been meaning to ask this for awhile. Honestly, who investigates sole design of a club before they buy? If so, what do you look for on the floor of the club? Talking design here, not bounce. Two very different things.

Yup. Aside from bounce I'm looking for various things.
How big is the sole overall?
How much camber is there from front to back edge?
How much camber is there from toe side to heel side?
How much heel relief is there? (that's my issue with most wedges)
What's the trailing edge like? How much does the leading edge come up when I lay it back

I definitely check the sole of the club on my higher lofted woods and hybrids. But that's probably about it. Maybe a bit on wedges. But I think that club designs these days have such specific reasons for them you certainly need to at least take a look!

Back