Wilson Staff FG Tour V2 Review Thread

Well Hawk, I have to say, hearing this makes me really glad. I have R flex KBS 90s in my irons now, and I'm also switching to S300s in the next month or so. I know I overswing for the R flex, so the improved accuracy you are seeing really comforts me. If I can make my irons a little bit tighter, that would be huge for me.

Well Hawk, I have to say, hearing this makes me really glad. I have R flex KBS 90s in my irons now, and I'm also switching to S300s in the next month or so. I know I overswing for the R flex, so the improved accuracy you are seeing really comforts me. If I can make my irons a little bit tighter, that would be huge for me.

I think you'll see a huge difference, Dam. It does come at a price though. They are definitely clunkier and don't feel nearly as nice. If I could find something with the improved accuracy and the feel of the KBS I'd be thrilled.

I think you'll see a huge difference, Dam. It does come at a price though. They are definitely clunkier and don't feel nearly as nice. If I could find something with the improved accuracy and the feel of the KBS I'd be thrilled.

Maybe S flex Tours? I was thinking of trying those. But I got the S300s for free. If I ever get these I'll get the Tours in them.

Maybe S flex Tours? I was thinking of trying those. But I got the S300s for free. If I ever get these I'll get the Tours in them.

Yea, I just don't really know. I went from one extreme to the other, but you are even going further. Honestly, I'd be more inclined to stick with the S300's at this point if I didn't have the opportunity to demo or get fit. However, I'd be completely open to trying something else out if I had the chance.

I think you'll see some real improvement in accuracy, Dam.

Yea, I just don't really know. I went from one extreme to the other, but you are even going further. Honestly, I'd be more inclined to stick with the S300's at this point if I didn't have the opportunity to demo or get fit. However, I'd be completely open to trying something else out if I had the chance.

I think you'll see some real improvement in accuracy, Dam.

That's awesome to hear. I really need it. I hit the power draw sometimes too. With the longer irons it's usually a sweeping fade though. I think they should help it.

Saw these at Roger Dunn for the first time in person today. DAMN they are soooo much more sexy in person than pics or even video can do justice. BEST looking iron on the market...PERIOD.

Tapping and crashing with the new updated/downgraded Tapatalk.

Just finished the COMPLETE thread.....awesome job Hawk,WE and Howz.......Hawk, for your distances, changing to DGs300 from KBS tour Reg.....do you find it more labor intensive to finish a round with DG? I'm hitting R300's right now but strongly considering the V2 irons.....will probably go 3-pw in stock regular.....also what is the hosel/tip size, .355?

Just finished the COMPLETE thread.....awesome job Hawk,WE and Howz.......Hawk, for your distances, changing to DGs300 from KBS tour Reg.....do you find it more labor intensive to finish a round with DG? I'm hitting R300's right now but strongly considering the V2 irons.....will probably go 3-pw in stock regular.....also what is the hosel/tip size, .355?
I replied back to your PM, wanted to see what you were playing to get a comparison.

Do you usually take a large divot?

Not really, though I've noticed some old wrist pain coming back that wasn't there with the Tours. I get tired mostly from walking the damn hills at my course, but I haven't noticed any issues with swinging the irons.

Not a full review but I did stay at a flea bitten motel last night.......SERIOUSLY!!! I was in Daytona for a tourney and hit my irons about as bad as you hit irons.....13/36 GIR's with one birdie.....yuck!!!!

So with intent of getting a set of irons that fit my needs, I remember this thread......Hawk and WE gave in-depth thoughts on good and bad of the Wilson Staff FG Tour V2 Irons!!!!

So one of my local shops has the Wilson Fit Cart including a few heads for us lefties......grab a 7i with what should be my stock fit KBS Tour R.... and I take it to my home venue.

Binks Forest Golf Club is 7200 yd tree lined challenge of course.With greens in the 10.5-11 range on the stimp, iron play is imperative.I jump out of car and head right to pro shop and then 1st tee.....no warm-up needed after 2 days of tournament golf I figured.....

I join up with a twosome; Pat an Air Force Captain and his friend Greg....they played the white tees(6100) and I was back on Blues(6600)

1st hole is a short par-4 345yd: As expected a poor drive left me with 151yd to a back right pin, a couple of practise swings and a cleansing breath.......7i struck!!!! I honestly did feel a thing.....now I'm playing the new TP3 by Taylormade but it didn't feel this soft off of the Endo Nike PC's.......anyways, ball ended up on back edge of green at 158yds.....bushnell approved yardage......OK ,lucky swing out of the box,right?

2nd hole par-5 520yd: back into slight breeze, after a decent drive I choose to lay-up with guess who? smooth 7i to 140.....got a hanging lie and didn't make the adjustment .....right club just tugged it into the greenside trap

3rd hole par-3 170yd: again back into and across breeze...really wished I had full set but hit the 7i AGAIN!!! LOL
came up short as expected but well struck and it flew 155 into......by now I've made up my mind that this will be my next set of irons.....yes FOUR SWINGS!!!!

4th hole par-4 375yd: tried to hit my newly accquired RBZ 5wd.....not well though and I've got 180yd left.....wanting to hit this club as much as possible,I aim away from the flag and hit a crisp V2.......ends up front left about 10yds short of the pin.......7i chip to 5ft

5th hole par-4 395yd: Breeze in and across, solid RBZ drive down left side leaving me 140...actually on cart path/waste area......not a solid strike and into left bunker

6th hole par-5 490yd:Again into breeze....decent drive for me.....7i layup, 7i into the green...slightly missed on approach but still found green from 142yd

7th hole par-3 155yd: I moved up to the white to hit what??? WS FG Tour V2 7iron!!!! Flushed to 8ft skimming lip for birdie...

8th hole par-4 410yd: down and across for wind, 146 left and slightly uphill.....just missed towards toe and came up short

9th hole par-4 460yd: driver,5wd ,7i chip to 2ft.....had to slip it in there somewhere!!!!

10th hole par-4 380yd: back into the fan, drive and you guess it!!! 7i from 150yd....green hit but about 30ft short

11th hole par-4 391yd: slight dogleg right but you have to stay up left side or risk getting blocked out.....power fade RBZ to 142yd......cue theme music for.........7iron to 25ft

12th hole par-5 525yd: water left so I tried a power fade again and pulled into fairway bunker on right......7i solid to 135yd and gripped down on 7i to 12ft.....buy now ,I'm cracking myself up!!! I've used about 5 clubs(Dwr,5wd,7i,sw and putter) and playing pretty well

13th hole par-3 160yd: again moved up to whites and slightly downwind, I hit it to pin high left 5ft off green....still learning that this shaft is TIGHT and movement is not as easy unless a strong manipulative move is made.....

14th hole par-4 380yd: back into I over cut the RBZ and left with 150yd.....needed 6i but tried to drive the 7i in low and came off it knocking ball into greenside trap......6i was needed.

15th hole par-4 385yd: A lot of back pins today......left with 144 into the green....7i to 25ft

16th hole par-3 155yd: cross from left to back right pin.....afraid of pulling or over hooking 7i, I aimed further left than needed.......40ft

17th hole par-5 515yd: pulled RBZ down right and hit 5wd from 255yd to about 15yd short of green

18th hole par-4 390yd: solid drive with 130yd left to flag......didn't like the yardage so I pulled back to 150yd...LOL ....But I paid for it with a hanging lie thin shot that barely cleared the water....7i chip to a foot....

So in closing I'll say these irons are about as consistent and enjoyable to hit as any iron I've ever tried.....
I was concerned with turf interaction but even the tightest of lies down in South Florida are handled with ease.

Wilson Staff FG Tour V2 irons have this solid,dependable flight while paired with KBS Tour shafts.I didn't find the combo to spinny and I could use the help getting the ball airborne.Shot shaping wasn't a high priority but i could see the capability of them.

I have hit most of the 2012 offerings in stock; mp59,i-20, a12 pro, 712 ap2 and the latter was close but not hit with as smooth of a shaft as KBS.

After acquiring these clubs,I'll report back on complete set........

Good stuff Swoosh. Keep the info coming. The KBS shaft seems to be a nice fit with the irons for sure.

Nice recap, Swoosh! Sounds like these are just what you are looking for. The price is very nice for something in their class as well. What set up are you going to order? The full 3-PW?

3-pw......I still like long irons......RBZ 5wd is working out and I could see the hybrids getting into the bag..

Hawk,

Based on your earlier postings I became interested in these irons. I went to a club demo day @ Edwin Watts in Sunrise Fl and tried them out. They were great feeling. I ordered 4-pw, 52 & 58 wedges, and the 3 wd, 19 fy-b and 3 hb. I have 4 rounds under my belt with these and all I can say is that these are superb irons. I got Nippon shafts in them and love them. Also as a result I had a nice chat with JB. All in all I would say these are a +++++.

Hawk,

Based on your earlier postings I became interested in these irons. I went to a club demo day @ Edwin Watts in Sunrise Fl and tried them out. They were great feeling. I ordered 4-pw, 52 & 58 wedges, and the 3 wd, 19 fy-b and 3 hb. I have 4 rounds under my belt with these and all I can say is that these are superb irons. I got Nippon shafts in them and love them. Also as a result I had a nice chat with JB. All in all I would say these are a +++++.

Bear.....can I asked why u changed from kbs tour?

Swoosh,

No problem. I never had KBS shafts I tried them but didn't really care too much for them. I know they're great shafts but they just didn't suit me. I just happen to like the Nippon shafts. I've had them in the last 2 sets I've had and the fitting with the Wilson rep verified this. I love the irons.

I had good round today with these and after testing them now for several months I am very impressed. I don't consider myself a great ball striker by any means but these seem to have enough forgiveness that I can play them without any issues. If I miss with these it is usually directional and I end up just off the green which actually suits me just fine because I chip better than I lag putt. If I miss big it is usually off the toe and that will punish me by 1/2 a club to a club in length. Still not sure if the KBS tours are the right shaft for me but they are one of the better shafts I have owned so far. Well struck shots seem to get very high and I think I may lose a bit of distance because of it. If my strike is not quite perfect the ball flight seems ideal. They have held up very well for a forged club and do not show very much bag chatter at all for the amount of time I had them out. The PW is by far my favorite club in the set and love using it around the greens for short bump and runs.

I had good round today with these and after testing them now for several months I am very impressed. I don't consider myself a great ball striker by any means but these seem to have enough forgiveness that I can play them without any issues. If I miss with these it is usually directional and I end up just off the green which actually suits me just fine because I chip better than I lag putt. If I miss big it is usually off the toe and that will punish me by 1/2 a club to a club in length. Still not sure if the KBS tours are the right shaft for me but they are one of the better shafts I have owned so far. Well struck shots seem to get very high and I think I may lose a bit of distance because of it. If my strike is not quite perfect the ball flight seems ideal. They have held up very well for a forged club and do not show very much bag chatter at all for the amount of time I had them out. The PW is by far my favorite club in the set and love using it around the greens for short bump and runs.

Great input......can't wait to these are in my bag.....I used to be such a good,strong iron player and lately my striking is as poor as can be.....the fit and finish of these irons coupled with a shaft in stock that works perfectly......is just heavenly!!!

Nice to see some others are finding out just how nice these irons are. Looking forward to your continued feedback, gentlemen.

I had a great round today. Hadn't touched a club in two weeks and wasn't expecting much as i just got back from Tahiti yesterday.

I just let the irons do the work. Hit all the Par 3's in regulation. Two shots really stand out. The first was a 120 yd 9 iron into the wind into a Par 5 hole high for a birdie & the second was a 5 iron into the wind on a 165 yd Par 3 hole high for another birdie.

I also have the 52 & 58 degree wedges and the 3 wood, 19.5 degree Fy-bird & 21 degree hybrid. Those are clubs you must also check out.

Nice to see some others are finding out just how nice these irons are. Looking forward to your continued feedback, gentlemen.

This is my first review of the FG V2's that I bought about over a month ago. I'm 3 weeks off of ACL replacement so I certainly don't have my best, or even a normal swing yet, but I had such a positive experience with these irons last Friday that I had to report.

My golf buddies were laughing at my Gary Player'ish right leg step out follow through on each swing, but I still was able to hit 13 greens and break 80. I was able to hit balls and/or play 5 days last week, so I'm confident my opinion will not change much as I get more time with these irons. My initial impression on the range was these irons have a super solid, buttery feel and are very easy to move right or left. Very similar to many other muscle backed forges irons but certainly more "buttery" than the Hogan or Mizuno forged blades I have for comparison. It might be the shaft that gives these an exceptionally soft feel, as I have only played DG in the past. I will say that the KBS Tour S shaft does have a higher ball flight than my Wilson Staff Pi5 irons with DGS300. I'm thinking these KBS stiff shafts may not be stiff enough for me when I get fully recovered from my ACL surgery, but for now I don't mind the slightly higher ball flight as accuracy seemed better than my Wilson Staff Pi5 with DGS300's. Distance was hard to judge as I don't have my full swing speed yet, but the flight was not significantly higher than DGS300's. Have only played 36 holes with these so far, but they certainly are as accurate and more solid feeling than anything I have hit. These hold their line extremely well into the wind, better than my previous Wilson Staffs. The only iron I have hit that feels as satisfying are the Miura Blades, and they are certainly less forgiving than these V2's! In short, these pretty clubs play as well as they look. And since they are easily the prettiest irons I've owned, it will be hard to get these out of my bag anytime soon!

Swoosh,

No problem. I never had KBS shafts I tried them but didn't really care too much for them. I know they're great shafts but they just didn't suit me. I just happen to like the Nippon shafts. I've had them in the last 2 sets I've had and the fitting with the Wilson rep verified this. I love the irons.

Which Nippon's did you end up going with? And if you don't mind, was there an upcharge for them?

This is my first review of the FG V2's that I bought about over a month ago. I'm 3 weeks off of ACL replacement so I certainly don't have my best, or even a normal swing yet, but I had such a positive experience with these irons last Friday that I had to report.

My golf buddies were laughing at my Gary Player'ish right leg step out follow through on each swing, but I still was able to hit 13 greens and break 80. I was able to hit balls and/or play 5 days last week, so I'm confident my opinion will not change much as I get more time with these irons. My initial impression on the range was these irons have a super solid, buttery feel and are very easy to move right or left. Very similar to many other muscle backed forges irons but certainly more "buttery" than the Hogan or Mizuno forged blades I have for comparison. It might be the shaft that gives these an exceptionally soft feel, as I have only played DG in the past. I will say that the KBS Tour S shaft does have a higher ball flight than my Wilson Staff Pi5 irons with DGS300. I'm thinking these KBS stiff shafts may not be stiff enough for me when I get fully recovered from my ACL surgery, but for now I don't mind the slightly higher ball flight as accuracy seemed better than my Wilson Staff Pi5 with DGS300's. Distance was hard to judge as I don't have my full swing speed yet, but the flight was not significantly higher than DGS300's. Have only played 36 holes with these so far, but they certainly are as accurate and more solid feeling than anything I have hit. These hold their line extremely well into the wind, better than my previous Wilson Staffs. The only iron I have hit that feels as satisfying are the Miura Blades, and they are certainly less forgiving than these V2's! In short, these pretty clubs play as well as they look. And since they are easily the prettiest irons I've owned, it will be hard to get these out of my bag anytime soon!
Sounds like you are doing quite well with them, especially only a few weeks removed from a surgery. Enjoy them!

Hey everyone. I too recently purchased a set, and here is my review/thoughts.

I was recently fit into and purchased a set ( 4 – PW) of Wilson FG Tour V2 irons, with KBS Tour Stiff shafts and Golf Pride New Decade Multi-compound grips with 2 wraps under right hand. I was fit into standard length and loft, and 1* upright lie from 5 – 9 iron (we left PW as standard).

To provide some context, I traded in a set of 5 – AW TaylorMade R9 with KBS 90 Stiff, standard loft, length, lie. With the TaylorMade irons, I was hitting the 7 iron around 165 yards. I really liked these irons for the 2 years I owned them, and I found them to be a huge improvement over my previous set. However, I was looking for something a little more compact with less offset and more feedback.

I’ve always been a fan of Wilson, and as luck would have it my local Edwin Watts had a special fitting event one day, and after the first swing I knew I was going to buy a set.

Review on the Wilson FG Tour V2:
Looks:
Beautiful. These are clean, classy, and look like they are meant to do one thing - hit the ball at the flag. They have a slight offset – just enough to inspire confidence, and not too much to make it difficult to align to the target.

I know some reviews have said that the cavity is busy. For me, I don’t find that to be the case, and even so, it is obviously not something that is distracting or that you can see at address.

Feel:
Ahhhh! Well struck shots leave you with a satisfying solid thwack. It is not mushy, but solid and powerful. It’s addictive, and something you want to repeat with the next swing. I really think I am swinging more under control with these irons (and subsequently more accurately) because I want to hit the sweet spot. When you hit a shot off on the toe or heel, you know it, but it is not punishing.

Performance:
I was a little nervous taking these to the course because I figured my 8 handicap game was not good enough for these irons. I was wrong. While I have lost about 1 club in distance (which I believe is more due to the lighter shaft’s that were in the R9’s), I am hitting more GIRs because the distance is more predictable. I know my 9 iron is going to go 135 yards, not anywhere from 130 – 145.

The narrow and slightly beveled/rounded sole is also good for my game. I find it versatile and forgiving – slightly fat shots don’t get punished as much as expected. Granted, you will end up short of the green when hitting fat, but the club won’t dig and totally lay the sod over the ball. I have hit much better 5 and 6 irons than I did with the R9’s, and much of this I attribute to the sole design.

I want to point out that I had assumed a club like this (cavity back blade) would hit low shots. I find I hit these just the same height, if not a little higher, than the R9’s. They are not ballooning, but high and soft landing. I demo’d these with multiple shafts (DG S300, Nippon, KBS C-taper, Project X 6.0) and in all cases I saw similar trajectories.

I am able to work the ball both ways when needed, and most definitely can hit low punch shots. This has proven to really be helpful since it has been windy lately.

Hits off the toe do lose distance, around a club’s worth. The R9’s did not lose as much distance on toe hits, so this is something to consider if this is a main miss for you. The good news is that the ball seems to hold its line quite well on these toe hits.

I did notice that off a tee, if teed too high you can lose distance if the ball is hit high off the face. I’m speculating this is due to the weighting of the club. I’ve taken to teeing the ball down with just say a 1/16th of an inch or so of the ball above the grass, and haven’t experienced any “pop-ups” since I started doing this.

My main miss with these irons has been aiming right for a draw, and over cooking it. I had to do this with the R9’s due to their wanting to hit straight no matter what, and I am learning to shape this shot with a less severe move through the ball.

Overall:
I alluded earlier that I have a soft spot for Wilson. The reason is that the first clubs I ever bought were a set of Pro Staff woods/irons – the kind you buy as a complete set in a Sporting Goods store. I used those for 5 years, and still remember hitting my first shots on a course with them.

As I am sure is obvious by now, I really like these clubs. I have tons of confidence when setting up to the ball, knowing that a well struck shot will be rewarded both at impact with a wonderful feel and on the green with a birdie putt.

Back