The Morgan Cup - The Official 2012 Thread

I'm probably getting there Tuesday so I'm up for practice rounds

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

I know some of the Callaway staffers were fit for their clubs as well as the Bstone. Have the Cleveland staffers reached out and got their swings fit to potential clubs?

The only fitting studio that Cleveland has is in Southern California, didn't work out for me. Although this is demo day season now, so all of us will have opportunities to test out Cleveland stuff before we make our decisions.

I know some of the Callaway staffers were fit for their clubs as well as the Bstone. Have the Cleveland staffers reached out and got their swings fit to potential clubs?

Not really, Freddie. I've worked with my instructor a bit and had some conversations, but I'm really going off of past experience and building a dream bag more than anything.

I still haven't seen any LH Cleveland stock around these parts buddy. I don't know if I'll have the chance to demo any of their gear or not prior to placing orders. I didn't with the Classic driver.

Yeah...a trip to SoCal wasn't in the cards for me either.
I just got fit to the closest specs I could with my normal fitter, went off that data.
Asked around, did some research, my Tour Rep contacted Cleveland (and her husband) with some questions I had, etc...basically, custom fit on paper.

Who is planning to attend that isn't competing in the cup? I'm planning to go and was curious, maybe I can room up with somebody.

I just got fit to the closest specs I could with my normal fitter, went off that data.
Asked around, did some research, my Tour Rep contacted Cleveland (and her husband) with some questions I had, etc...basically, custom fit on paper.

Same here bro! I have a massive spreadsheet with the complete specifications of my i20 irons (which were fit to me) and have everything translated over to the 588 CB irons, LOL. It's the best I can do.

Did you record "2* flat" or "62*", etc??
Same here bro! I have a massive spreadsheet with the complete specifications of my i20 irons (which were fit to me) and have everything translated over to the 588 CB irons, LOL. It's the best I can do.

Did you record "2* flat" or "62*", etc??

I recorded the actual loft of each specific iron. Funny how I would normally say 3* up throughout the set, but when I looked at each individual irons' loft, some require a little less or a little more.

When you say loft, you mean lie, right?
I recorded the actual loft of each specific iron. Funny how I would normally say 3* up throughout the set, but when I looked at each individual irons' loft, some require a little less or a little more.

Thats pretty interesting TC.

I didn't get a fitting done by Callaway either, it just costs too much money for me to leave the island and go to the CPC centre, so I basically did the same thing as TC and Tnolan. I've done a couple quick fittings, and some lie board stuff and shaft optimiser, and the rest is me just with educated guesses.

When you say loft, you mean lie, right?

hahaha, yeah. Good call dude. Although I did the same with the lofts too. I reckon I want these to match my i20's exactly.

Who is planning to attend that isn't competing in the cup? I'm planning to go and was curious, maybe I can room up with somebody.

there are quite a few people going buddy. I think Tadashi may have a list. also a room list. Worst case scenario you can have our couch

Gotcha, I hope so too.

Me too man. I like to rub Yorkem's head though. It's smooth like a babies.

Sent from someone else's iPhone using Tapatalk

Hmmm...maybe bringing the wife isn't such a good idea when sharing living space with such a handsome Canadian.

I tried to figure a way and time to do this, but couldn't work it out. It would have been awesome though.

Thats pretty interesting TC.

I didn't get a fitting done by Callaway either, it just costs too much money for me to leave the island and go to the CPC centre, so I basically did the same thing as TC and Tnolan. I've done a couple quick fittings, and some lie board stuff and shaft optimiser, and the rest is me just with educated guesses.

I did the fitting and will end up going with a different shaft, but I don't feel that is the fitters fault. My fitter recommended that I go with something between a stiff and regular, and the Nippon did just that. Inside the fitting studio without any wind the Nippons worked great, and he didn't have me hit anything else. Outside in the wind the Nippons are not my favorite, so going with the PX 5.5 will still give me something between a stiff and regular but it will bring the flight down a little bit. I still plan on going with the same length/lie recommendations though. I would not have thought of going with the 5.5 if it had not been for my fitting. I would have gone with the 6.0, which I now know would be too stiff for me and would be costing me serious distance.

I did the fitting and will end up going with a different shaft, but I don't feel that is the fitters fault. My fitter recommended that I go with something between a stiff and regular, and the Nippon did just that. Inside the fitting studio without any wind the Nippons worked great, and he didn't have me hit anything else. Outside in the wind the Nippons are not my favorite, so going with the PX 5.5 will still give me something between a stiff and regular but it will bring the flight down a little bit. I still plan on going with the same length/lie recommendations though. I would not have thought of going with the 5.5 if it had not been for my fitting. I would have gone with the 6.0, which I now know would be too stiff for me and would be costing me serious distance.
Yep, but I think the 5.0 is between stiff and regular, the 5.5 is closer to stiff, 6.0 stiff plus. I'm gaming the 6.0's right now after I did a poor fitting where these were recommened and while my dispersion is great, I'm leaving a lot of yards on the table. I think based on everything I have seen I will be going with either the DG GS95 S300 or the KBS Tour in stiff.

Yep, but I think the 5.0 is between stiff and regular, the 5.5 is closer to stiff, 6.0 stiff plus. I'm gaming the 6.0's right now after I did a poor fitting where these were recommened and while my dispersion is great, I'm leaving a lot of yards on the table. I think based on everything I have seen I will be going with either the DG GS95 S300 or the KBS Tour in stiff.

Yeah dude, the 5.5 would be "stiff". The 6.0 would be a "stiff +". A lot of folks tend to forget that. I will be rocking 5.5's myself.

Interesting thought and I am seeing something very similar. Not something I was looking for, but I am definitely longer in the KBS Tour (regular flex) than in the PX 5.0 or 5.5's and I prefer the ball flight of the KBS.

Hmmm, very interesting. I am basing my decision off the results I have been getting from testing the J40s with the 5.5 I am getting the same distance out of them as I am getting out of the Nippons, and many of you know I gained quite a few yards just by being fit for the Nippons. I just need to get my flight down from the Nippons, now you have me confused even more, lol.

Hmmm, very interesting. I am basing my decision off the results I have been getting from testing the J40s with the 5.5 I am getting the same distance out of them as I am getting out of the Nippons, and many of you know I gained quite a few yards just by being fit for the Nippons. I just need to get my flight down from the Nippons, now you have me confused even more, lol.

I wonder if the uniflex of the Nippon's is causing that higher flight for you man? At least you have those J40's to give a whirl. They should be a really good thing for you to have right now with those shafts and that head shape/design.

You were fit for Nippon and you aren't going with the recommendation? What didn't you like about the Nippon in the wind? What are looking for by going with a shaft you know nothing about? Why get fit if you are going in another direction?

You were fit for Nippon and you aren't going with the recommendation? What didn't you like about the Nippon in the wind? What are looking for by going with a shaft you know nothing about? Why get fit if you are going in another direction?
Verb: Tadashing: Rapid fire golf questions written in short form.

I guess in fairness he did buy the set he was fitted for. Perhaps just trying something new. Don't you know self fitting always works better anyway:alien:

Yeah I definitely think the flight of the Diablos is due to the Nippons. I have tried different balls and I get the same result. But when I pull out the J40 the flight is MUCH better for me. The testing for those could not have come at a better time because it is showing me that the Nippons may not be the best shaft for me even though they are a great shaft. They have worked well for me on calm days, but not on windy days. The testing has definitely helped solidify my decision to go with the X Forged, so now I just need to nail down the shaft, but I know not to go with something too stiff. I am glad you guys pointed this out to me, because I always assumed the 5.0 was regular, 5.5 was reg-stiff, and 6.0 was stiff in the PX flighted shafts. Maybe I will have to track down some 5.0's to try out. Either way the PX shafts are definitely an improvement for me over the DG S300 shaft, is the 5.5 a softer shaft than the S300?

Freddie, I was fit for the Nippons, and my fitter definitely knew what he was talking about when he said the S300 was too stiff for me. From there he ONLY had me hit the Nippon though and from there he just adjusted length and lie angle. In the studio it was a great fit and I definitely saw the benefit of a softer shaft. I jumped all over it and ordered the Diablos, and once I got them and had them out for a couple rounds in calm wind they were great. I could definitely tell the flight was higher, which the fitter told me it would be. However, with the Nippon in light winds I am noticing a lot of ballooning on any shots into the wind. This is a regular occurance, not just on a couple of shots. So much that I am losing 30-40 yards on shots into winds that I should only use one extra club. I might as well forget about using anything shorter than 8-iron into the wind with the Nippons. I need something to bring the flight down a little bit. By testing the J40s with PX shafts I have hit shots side by side with the Nippon and PX 5.5 I am not getting any ballooning with the 5.5, my distances are actually the same when there isn't any wind, and into the wind I am getting much better distance with the PX 5.5, and I am not talking about really strong winds either. I am talking 10-15 mph winds. My accuracy has also been better with the PX. I am obviously going to spend a lot more time with my Diablos until we are ready to order our MC irons, so things could change, I am just stating what I am seeing consistently over my last few rounds.

Back