Bridgestone J40 Driver Review Thread

same here. I'm going to head out for 9 tonight after work. I've been surprisingly comfortable off the tee this year which normally is not the case.

Haha, you were off the tee last MC!

That is good to hear man. It is just so much different that the driver I was using, I think it is going to take some getting used to. I did drive one ball beside the green in league. That made me very happy.

Oh it is for sure Seth. Range is fine now, just the course needs work but as long as we put the time in, it'll be there come the MC.

One thing about the Bridgestone woods is....why don't their pros play them outside of Kuchar....

Fred Couples...no...TM driver and Callaway 3 Wood
Sneds....no....TM driver

I don't know of another Bridgestone player that plays their woods...really strange.

Good question but if you look around a lot of the pro's don't always play the latest and greatest.

Haha, you were off the tee last MC!

yup I got very comfortable with that driver. Hoping to accomplish the same with this one. So far so good.

I really like the looks of this driver and the low spin design! Going to have to demo this thing!

One thing about the Bridgestone woods is....why don't their pros play them outside of Kuchar....

Fred Couples...no...TM driver and Callaway 3 Wood
Sneds....no....TM driver

I don't know of another Bridgestone player that plays their woods...really strange.

That is a good question. They may like what they have in the bag and don't want to switch. Look at GMac, he kept his cally driver in the bag till it cracked on him.

Big thanks to Bridgestone and THP. My driver has arrived and it is a thing of beauty. I shot an unboxing video but I won't have time to upload it until late tonight or tomorrow. I went with 10.5* loft, 1/2 over Bridgestone standard length, and the Attas shaft. Here are some pix:

IMG_0028.jpg

IMG_0023.jpg

IMG_0029.jpg

IMG_0021.jpg

Some comparision pix w/ my Z-Star:

IMG_0026.jpg

IMG_0027.jpg

Initial thoughts:
-Looks like it will be more forgiving towards the toe.
-Classic good looks from address.
-Initially felt longer in length than my Z star even though at ½ inch longer than Bridgestone standard it actually plays slightly shorter in length (maybe due to the smaller head?)
-Head and shaft combo looks great!

Very nice Howzat, glad to see it arrived in Minnesota safely!

Looking forward to the thoughts once you can get it into play.

very nice looking combo Howzat! Can't wait to hear your thoughts once you get it out on the course. Marcs gives you the seal of approval for this driver/shaft combo

Howzat, I love the shaft you have there. It looks awesome on the J40 head. Did you go by what would work best or what colors would match? haha

So does that leave you One-T as the only one still waiting?

WNC must be like the postal black hole.

One-t, what shaft did you request dude? It wasn't that Tiger shaft was it?

Yesterday I was able to get a real good look at the forgiveness of the J40 driver. I didn't have my best stuff off the tee, caught it low a couple of times, hit it high on the face once and did flush it once or twice too so I had a pretty good mixed bag in the 7 times I used the driver yesterday. First hole I caught it low on face, the ball was a low screaming hook that dang near went OB but held on by the skin of my teeth. Because I was just out to get some practice I hit another one right away that was hammered right down the middle. I got to my balls expecting to see a significant distance difference and to my surprise there was only maybe 5 to 10 yards difference. Now the low screaming hook went through the wind much better obviously so that's probably why they were so close.

On the 4th hole I again caught it low on the face, this time it was again low and screaming but it was screaming a long my normal ball flight (fade..some say big fade, I say mild fade) and it rolled out a ton to recover for a pretty decent drive. I again hit another one, swung angry and nailed it on the button. Get to my balls (both in the fairway) and the first one was 10 yards behind it is all, this time it was slightly downwind.

On 7 I caught one high on the face and the trajectory was significantly higher but because the wind that was there earlier had pretty much stopped by now I was not penalized, middle of the fairway and had just 102 left on the 360 yard par 4 7th.

On the 9th hole I went ahead and bombed one for good measure. It went straight and far.

Diamana

The Tiger shaft doesn't know what delay means! I'm finding it pretty darn easy to load. Most said it would be tough to load.

Yesterday I was able to get a real good look at the forgiveness of the J40 driver. I didn't have my best stuff off the tee, caught it low a couple of times, hit it high on the face once and did flush it once or twice too so I had a pretty good mixed bag in the 7 times I used the driver yesterday. First hole I caught it low on face, the ball was a low screaming hook that dang near went OB but held on by the skin of my teeth. Because I was just out to get some practice I hit another one right away that was hammered right down the middle. I got to my balls expecting to see a significant distance difference and to my surprise there was only maybe 5 to 10 yards difference. Now the low screaming hook went through the wind much better obviously so that's probably why they were so close.

On the 4th hole I again caught it low on the face, this time it was again low and screaming but it was screaming a long my normal ball flight (fade..some say big fade, I say mild fade) and it rolled out a ton to recover for a pretty decent drive. I again hit another one, swung angry and nailed it on the button. Get to my balls (both in the fairway) and the first one was 10 yards behind it is all, this time it was slightly downwind.

On 7 I caught one high on the face and the trajectory was significantly higher but because the wind that was there earlier had pretty much stopped by now I was not penalized, middle of the fairway and had just 102 left on the 360 yard par 4 7th.

On the 9th hole I went ahead and bombed one for good measure. It went straight and far.

Nice Jake!!!! I love how this driver seems to stay in play pretty well.

Jake, what do you think attributed to the low on the facers? Just lifting a hair before impact? Or are you still trying to find that perfect tee height?

Jake, what do you think attributed to the low on the facers? Just lifting a hair before impact? Or are you still trying to find that perfect tee height?

I'm gonna chime in too my friend. Finding the tee height is critical. When I tee it higher I seem to hit it better, but the misses are high on the face (duh haha). I just need to get comfortable doing it. If you tee it too low, at least for me, it fades more with a lower flight.

Howzat, I love the shaft you have there. It looks awesome on the J40 head. Did you go by what would work best or what colors would match? haha

I didn't even think about the color combo until it arrived but it does match perfect. I tried a few shafts and even picked up a 3-wood with the Project X but I need all the launch help I can get with this low spin head so after a few B-fit sessions and some research this was the winner. Can't wait to get it out today and see how it works out.

I really don't know to be honest. I'm working on STOPPING my lifting at or thru impact but it could have been that. I can't say that's happened all that much to me, not too worried about it though, I'm sure it was just a hitch I had yesterday and will be gone next time out.

Nice update Jake!

I have also just finally found what I believe to be that optimal tee height for me. It's funny cause before I always kind of eye balled it and only adjusted if it looked way out of whack. Now, using the THP tees, I have the top line just barely where I can't see it anymore and that is giving me the flight I have recently discussed and my mishits now are more toe/heel related rather than up/down the face.

Went to the range at lunch and hit a small bucket. I'm really starting to get this dialed in. You guys keep talking right tee height. I agree. It's essential once you know where exactly it is. I'm glad that I picked this shaft. More later. But here is a picture of my ball marks after my range session. You can really see where I'm hitting well.
a6f96706-e800-4a85.jpg

It easily cleaned up.
Fear the Frog!! Amphibians can Tapatalk

Looks like you were nailing it Bullfrog. So where are you guys teeing the ball up? Are any of you using the THP tee's with the green lines on them?

Back