Lefty treated for heat exhaustion

GolferGal

Chick Norris
Boss Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
Golf
We just got word that Phil was treated last night at a local urgent care center for heat exhaustion and dehydration. We will report more later....

No!!! I hope this doesn't effect his play today. I don't want to see him fall apart.

....maybe if he got into shape....

aw man, i hope he is ok. i wanna see him win today!

I didn't think it was that hot. (Not that it has to be sweltering for heat exhaustion, but I would expect that someone like Phil would know to hydrate.)

What was the temperature yesterday?

(It also goes to show that Ashley's heat exhaustion from H18 wasn't as silly as a lot of internet naysayers portrayed it.)

They just made the announcement on the online broadcast.

"Mickelson was admitted to Baptist Medical Plaza at 9 p.m. and received 2 bags of IV fluids."

Don't think that this will bode well for his play today assuming he makes it and doesn't have to drop out. If he drops that will be a shame. I'm not a big Phil fan but this will just end up being another beat the daylights out of Phil issue.

Dehydration is pretty easy to bounce back from with IV fluids. Obviously, he won't be as sharp as he would if he had simply eaten dinner and gone to bed. But I think he will be okay.

Harry,
It is pretty hot down here right now.

He hammered his first drive of the day but he doesn't look very comfortable. They also indicated that he was suffering earlier in the week from a stomach issue..flu, food who knows that would have played into the issue probably nothing to do with conditioning.

I blame it on the all black outfit ... and the offensiveness of the white belt on that gut

I would like to emphasize my earlier point. Tell him to try cutting 13 pounds (dehydration to the point where you should be hospitalized) in 24 hours and then wrestle (which is many, many times more physically strenuous than golf) an hour after making weight. Like I said earlier, if he was in shape it wouldn't be an issue.

If it was flu, it is more of an issue.

It doesn't seem THAT hot, and I live like 45 mins away from Doral. How hard is it to just keep a bottle of gatorade or water with you?

According to his pre-round interview, he has been sick and unable to eat for 3 days. Also a fever. Nobody drinks enough when they are sick.

Case closed, tubby

84695958.jpg

he is hardly tubby. A little overweight maybe. But thin people can get the flu and dehydrated too. I remember Charles Howell III had this problem at Innisbrook a few years back. He is hardly tubby.

JB, you are correct. However, the more physically fit you are, the more likely it is that you will be able to handle such things and still maintain some of your performance. I just find it crazy that somebody who makes a living based on physical performance wouldn't make a concerted effort to be in shape.

With the exception to a select few, I am not sure MOST golfers make an effort to do this.

Can I take back my label of "tubby" and replace it with "dummy"?

This guy has to be the most mentally challenged athlete I've ever seen. He makes the wrong decision constantly. Pulls out a driver on the 12th when he doesn't need to and hits it under a bush. Bones is practically begging him to take an unplayable, but nimrod wants to hit it righty and hits a tree right in front of him.

Imagine how much better he would finish regularly if he put his ego in check? Scary.

i will give you that one...But mentally challenged athletes seem to be on overload right now. Take Plaxico or others.

As a Giants fan, I'm with you 100% on that too.

I just combine Phil's decision-making with the fact that he is an E! Fashion Emergency and I just can't route for the guy.

Using the driver wasn't the problem. He just overswung.

As for the bush, I liked his decision. He is right-handed after all. It's not like me hitting left-handed. (In fact, his right-handed swing looked 10x better than mine.) And he practices that shot. If he had made it past that last tree, it would have been an all-world shot. And even though he didn't, it was just as good as taking a drop.

Back