Official Rant of the Day Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've felt logy all day and I can't seem to shake it.

Nope, but right now I feel like it. It bothers me that my Father is 69 and looks 45. Yet I am younger than that and am so sore from all this playing and driving...hehe

Man I had to actually work today. Ive been going since 4 in the morning and I just got home. This was my first chance to check the computer. :sad:

Thank god this week is over! With all the major reorganization in the company, plus getting assigned a new region & zone on Monday, it's been a cluster all week long. I felt like a hamster on a wheel - ran like hell but I swear I didn't really get anywhere for all the effort. :angry:

Nope, but right now I feel like it. It bothers me that my Father is 69 and looks 45. Yet I am younger than that and am so sore from all this playing and driving...hehe

Gee, JB, I'm so sorry to hear about how sore you are from all that golf! Rub it in why don't ya! (BTW, I'm still a bit sore from the driving range last Sunday! Ouch.)

We got snow and ice last night and now I have no satellite signal for my TV. :angry:

I hope it warms up enough in the next 90 minutes to fix whatever needs fixing.

I got called into work for today and tomorrow, the store closes at 6 and I have to stay till 9!!! SO I'll miss both contest days..

Not a rant exactly, but here goes....

I'm on day 4 of single dadhood, which has been crazy but fine. The problem is I've only got two arms. So I'm on the phone with one hand, and holding the baby in the other arm, and she lunges for the laptop. It topples and crashes to the floor. Busted the LCD screen. So until I buy a new computer or get this repaired, I'm out a computer. Guess I won't be posting much for a while!

(This message brought to you by BlackBerry.)

WSE,
That is just plain wrong. But I suggest buying a new one while you are single in single dadhood, so that you can pick out the one you want.

What a shame, WSE. Never underestimate a wiggly baby!

On the broken laptop screen issue -- do any of you happen to know if that's a repairable/replaceable item? Basically, the screen itself is intact, but whatever contains the liquid crystals or plasma or whatever that makes the screen form an image is broken. It looks an etch-a-sketch after you shake it. So I hate to buy a new laptop -- I just got this one about 10 months ago -- and since I bought it from a BestBuy that has the most incompetent lot of geek squad employees you've ever met, I'm concerned that they will just say I need to buy a new computer regardless of whether the screen element can be replaced. Also, I'm very concerned about being able to get the thousands of photos and vids of the baby and vacations off the thing if it is dead. My hope is, if it's just the screen, they should be able to plug the unit into an external monitor so I can offload the valuables. Any advice from the computer savy around here?

When I tried to get a cracked LCD TV fixed, they told me it was cheaper to get a new one. Unfortunately after research, I learened that they were right.

On the broken laptop screen issue -- do any of you happen to know if that's a repairable/replaceable item? Basically, the screen itself is intact, but whatever contains the liquid crystals or plasma or whatever that makes the screen form an image is broken. It looks an etch-a-sketch after you shake it. So I hate to buy a new laptop -- I just got this one about 10 months ago -- and since I bought it from a BestBuy that has the most incompetent lot of geek squad employees you've ever met, I'm concerned that they will just say I need to buy a new computer regardless of whether the screen element can be replaced. Also, I'm very concerned about being able to get the thousands of photos and vids of the baby and vacations off the thing if it is dead. My hope is, if it's just the screen, they should be able to plug the unit into an external monitor so I can offload the valuables. Any advice from the computer savy around here?

Don't you still have a Warranty? Surely they are longer than 10 months.

A warranty will most likely not cover damage of this nature.

Just tell them that it spontaneously exploderated.

They'll believe that, right?

Don't you still have a Warranty? Surely they are longer than 10 months.

Yeah I was wondering the same thing. If you bought the extended warrenty it should be covered in that. You could also easily dowload the pictures yourself if you have a "thumb drive". If you are forced to buy a new laptop they should be able to either swap the harddrives or copy your old harddrive contents onto the new HDD.

I'll agree with you about the folks that work on the Geek Squad. Sadly I can say I went to school with a couple and still don't know that I would trust them to work on my computer.

Also, I'm very concerned about being able to get the thousands of photos and vids of the baby and vacations off the thing if it is dead. My hope is, if it's just the screen, they should be able to plug the unit into an external monitor so I can offload the valuables. Any advice from the computer savy around here?

You may have already heard this from people, but: back up, back up, back up! I learned this when I lost a bunch of stuff after a hard drive crash, and with a dvd or cd writer, backups are a cinch now. I hope you can get your photos and videos back though. I copy all my photos from my computer HD onto an external HD and when I get enough I burn them to DVD. I figure both drives won't crap out on me at the same time!

So I'm reviewing some documents for a client, and come across some stuff that just doesn't work. One of those cases where someone had a good idea, but no one really walked through the math. So I did, and depending on the order in which certain events happen, you could easily get some really, really wacked out results.

I know the fellow who wrote this. I like and respect him, and we do a fair amount of business together--he and his co-workers are a reasonably good referral source for us.

And now I get to tell him and our mutual client that they've got a big problem on their hands. Me, with all the diplomatic skills of your basic Sherman Tank. I can see this not working out well at all.

I'm the only one ranting? Nice to know everyone else's life is perfect.

If you mean the same thing, use the same word.
If you don't mean the same thing, don't use the same word.

Why is that so hard?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back